Would Josh Allen ever consider a team friendly contract?

sirebors

No he wont take a team friendly contract his first year... He is going to get a huge contact and I think year 2 of his contract he lays back. but we see. Anything can happen. Buffalo has already done so much for him and he has already given so much for buffalo... but one thing he does not want is diminished value off the bat.

I didn't read every post in this thread so if this was mentioned already, disregard...

The thing about Mahomes contract.....is that the way it's designed...it easy for the team to convert money to signing bonus and kick the can, or restructure etc....it leaves alot of wiggle room...

This would be a case where I would wonder if the Pegulas have the kind of cash you need to be able to operate that way.  I wonder this because the Bills already don't do business in this manor.  That isn't to say that Can't.....but they don't seem to be a can kicker organization.  That's fine...I'm not being critical....Josh Allen is going to get paid one way or another....that's not in doubt...but....and don't shoot the messenger here.....but.....if the Pegulas sign him to a big deal (they will)....Allens cap hits are probably going to be what they are year to year without bonus conversion etc if the Bills continue to do things the way they do.....the cap represents more of a constraint than for others.  The upside is the you are paying the piper as you go...so there is that.

On 3/27/2021 at 12:01 PM, longtimebillsfan said:

IMHO that doesn't sound like Josh.  He is a team first guy.  He will take care if himself with an eye on helping the team.  He saw the results of Brady helping the Pat's with his salary.

***This response isn't to you specifically, just the one mindset you pointed out since I've heard it many times***

Making him out to be a villain or bad for taking what he's worth is unfair.

Implying he's not a high character or team-first guy for taking a normal deal for a QB of his talent is messed up. I think it reflects poorly on fans who are acting like he'd be doing us dirty by getting a FAIR deal. It's his job to play his best & be committed to winning. It's the organization's job to pay him what he's worth & his agent's job to figure out what Josh wants. 

If you were one of the top in your entire position, would you feel it's fair for your employer to offer you LESS money than others who don't work as hard as you? If Dak & other QB's are making $40 million per year, and the Bills came out & offer him $35 million, that makes Josh not a team-first guy if he refuses?

He is a team-first guy, he's the key to the team's success. The minute you start undervaluing a franchise QB (if that's what you believe he is), and acting like he should get paid less is the minute you find yourself back in another playoff drought. I think it'd be disrespectful to offer Josh less than everyone else & EXPECT him to take a discount...and if he doesn't, he's somehow not team-first.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Team friendly does not necessarily mean less money, it could mean structuring it in ways that make it possible to create cap space in future years.  I think that will happen.  Will less money happen, I tend to doubt it.  The players have people around them to advise them against such things.  Most people will maximize their value.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

On 3/29/2021 at 9:42 PM, Zerovoltz said:

I didn't read every post in this thread so if this was mentioned already, disregard...

The thing about Mahomes contract.....is that the way it's designed...it easy for the team to convert money to signing bonus and kick the can, or restructure etc....it leaves alot of wiggle room...

This would be a case where I would wonder if the Pegulas have the kind of cash you need to be able to operate that way.  I wonder this because the Bills already don't do business in this manor.  That isn't to say that Can't.....but they don't seem to be a can kicker organization.  That's fine...I'm not being critical....Josh Allen is going to get paid one way or another....that's not in doubt...but....and don't shoot the messenger here.....but.....if the Pegulas sign him to a big deal (they will)....Allens cap hits are probably going to be what they are year to year without bonus conversion etc if the Bills continue to do things the way they do.....the cap represents more of a constraint than for others.  The upside is the you are paying the piper as you go...so there is that.

I don't see that given the NFL TV revenue projections going forward the Pegula's wouldn't be able to structure Allen's contract similarly to Mahomes.  My guess is that the Mahomes contract will serve as a template for Allen's deal.

As a franchise QB Allen is unique on the team and the Pegula's will adjust what they do in his situation as it will benefit them and the team to do so.

Small chance Josh does it but given that Mahomes has reset the market there might not be as much union pressure to set the market with his deal. I don't think he gives a steep discount but I could see Josh taking 40 million a year instead of 42.5. Not much but it is something. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

Josh will sign for the vet minimum for the next ten years.  I have sources.  Book it!

As awesome as this parallel universe would be, I can only imagine the players union reps needing some smelling salts after that news :thumbsup:. The Bills need to get creative a la TB12 in NE, who had multiple side business  revenue streams enabled by the Pats...

15 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

As awesome as this parallel universe would be, I can only imagine the players union reps needing some smelling salts after that news :thumbsup:. The Bills need to get creative a la TB12 in NE, who had multiple side business  revenue streams enabled by the Pats...

Are you suggesting a standard team friendly contract, with an order of fracking on the side?  :)

Were there not rumors back in Marino’s days that he had some “special investment opportunities”? I seem to recall some talk of that....

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just posted this in other thread.  It's irrelevant but I do think he will make sure it's team friendly.  

I do t care about his cap hit.  Why?   Because beane is a wizard.  1.   He will make it team friendly for year 1 and 2 like mahomes.  Then he will restructure going i to year 3 to free space for next 2 years.  

Rinse repeat.  Josh will structure to get max guarantee and be cap friendly because he wants to win. 

Trust in beane!

Edited by Hebert19

If you see Allen's agent fired then maybe... but that would possibly be the strangest most irresponsible thing he would do. He never struck it rich so you can't compare him to Brady. He's going to command every cent that he is justified.. or unjustified to make. I think you might see 37m as the starting number if anything comes out at any point.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Are you suggesting a standard team friendly contract, with an order of fracking on the side?  :)

Were there not rumors back in Marino’s days that he had some “special investment opportunities”? I seem to recall some talk of that....

Yessir!! We’re talking about some smart sophisticated types who should be able to make it happen! 🧐 

Maybe Josh’s family farm needs a new tractor or two? 

17 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I have sources though!  Dunkirk Don and Mykidsdad will vouch for the source as well

on a serious note, they do!  I Trust Beane, I also think Josh is a big picture guy and we all will be very happy for Josh and the team once a deal is done

Edited by TBBills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

Josh is definitely a Buffalo Guy and I truly believe he won't hurt the team Cap wise anymore than he really needs to.  He is the MAN here in Buffalo and deserves to paid as such.  He has also had to prove everyone wrong his whole life and has earned the right to collect a big pay day.  I think him and Beane will find a number that works all around. 

• Agree 1

On 3/28/2021 at 5:45 PM, Commish said:

$35 million, $40 million, $45 million - either way you slice it, it's more money than most people would know what to do with. A lot of the one upsmanship that goes on with contracts with professional athletes strikes me as being rooted in large part in insecurity on the part of the player. Josh Allen does not strike me as insecure in any way - and he loves to win. Hometown discount? Depends how you define it - I could see Allen striking a team-friendly deal.

Big Ben has done this now for 15+ years for the Steelers and kept them competitive during that period

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2021 at 3:35 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Why would any top player on his second contract take a "home town discount"???

This makes no sense at all.

Hmmmmmm.....   Lotsa crow to be eaten... 

Bills’ Josh Allen willing to structure extension to help team stay competitive (report)
https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/06/bills-josh-allen-willing-to-structure-extension-to-help-team-stay-competitive-report.html

Report: Josh Allen Willing to Help Bills 'a Little Bit' in New Contract; 'Loves' BUF | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10006247-report-josh-allen-willing-to-help-bills-a-little-bit-in-new-contract-loves-buf