Would Josh Allen ever consider a team friendly contract?

sirebors

I wonder why didn't other teams imitate the Cheatriots "hiring" TB12 for "consulting". Or maybe guarantee Josh ad revenue. Can't the Pegulas pay him millions as a spokesperson for some of their non-NFL businesses?

Salary cap obviously will always be an issue, as otherwise we want Josh to be paid more than Mahomes! But who wants a star QB with no team around him?

15 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Sorry but are you really comparing QB to linebackers?? You do thunder stand the difference? If a QB takes a huge discount, there’s no way that anyone else on that team is going to get paid what they are worth. The front office can just go to the next guy and say “Josh took a discount, so you should too.” I’ve stated this over and over, it’s not Josh’s job to make the salary cap work, that’s up to the front office. So let the front office earn their money, just like Josh had earned his

They have to spend to a certain percentage of the cap. Ultimate goal of a GM is to build a winning team. That means fielding the best 53 man roster which requires spending as much money as possible every year. 

1 hour ago, sirebors said:

I would take this in a heartbeat. As a fan. As Allen. And quite possibly as Beane if he's willing to roll the dice. 

Yup...I think it’s fair for both sides...both sides benefit and take risk...

Josh takes a risk because it is slightly under annual market value...but he benefits by getting $350 million fully guaranteed 

The Bills risk and benefit the same way, just in reverse....

3 hours ago, sirebors said:

I'm not talking about Brady at age 43.

Tom Brady average salary

2005-2010.   $10,700,000

2010-2014.    $18,000,000

2013-2017.     $13,667,000

2015-2017.     $9,000,000

2016-2019.    $20,500,000

2018-2019.    $15,000,000

2019.              $23,000,000

His salary actually went down dramatically for a number of years. And it was never close to being one of the top QB salaries in the league. For possibly the best quarterback in history who won Superbowl in the following years. 

2002, 2004, 2005, 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2021

I see you decided to ignore that your Jordan example was horrendously, wrong.

You give dollar values and not position. How are the years that he won the superbowl relevant? Do you think listing out those years makes it look more impressive? You also seem to ignore that because 1 guy in NFL History may have done it that it's a given that some other player will do it.

Why are you trying so hard to look so silly?

Edited by jeremy2020

12 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I see you decided to ignore that your Jordan example was horrendously, wrong.

You give dollar values and not position. How are the years that he won the superbowl relevant? Do you think listing out those years makes it look more impressive? You also seem to ignore that because 1 guy in NFL History may have done it that it's a given that some other player will do it.

Why are you trying so hard to look so silly?

On 3/26/2021 at 10:31 AM, sirebors said:

Would Michael Jordan rather win or have a bigger contract? Jordan's primary driving force in life is winning. 

My Jordan example is wrong how? Everyone on planet earth knows that winning is the most important thing in life to Michael Jordan. Everyone that is, except you. Did I say Michael Jordan took a small contract? Did I say Michael Jordan took less money then he was worth? Did I say Michael Jordan took a team friendly contract? I didn't say anything at all about what Michael Jordan took. I asked a simple question. What is more important to Michael Jordan, winning or a bigger contract? Maybe you should try and work on your reading comprehension and stop trying so hard to look silly. Because you're doing a great job of it. 

And I give dollar values but not position? What are you talking about? It's a post about Tom Brad's salary. In case you didn't know, his position is quarterback! And yes talking about Brady, the greatest quarterback of all time, taking less money at the position quarterback is entirely relevant since Josh Allen plays the same position. Brady likes to win. Josh Allen wants to win. Brady took less money not because he doesn't like money or he has enough. He took less money because he wants to break every record that ever stood and yes, he wants to win above all else. 

And when did I ever say it was a "given" Josh Allen would do this? The entire post is a hypothetical question. The entire post is everyone offering opinions on what he may do. Show me where I said anywhere in this entire post that it's a given Josh Allen does this. The only person that said Josh would take a team friendly deal was Brandon Beane.  "Josh is a competitor. He's not wired for us just to pay him, then not be able to put stuff around him." The Buffalo Bills GM said this! Did he make it up? Did he say it out of the clear blue? Or did he say it with insider information on his side? Do you really think he would make that statement without already hearing that from Josh Allen's own mouth? Do you know more than the Buffalo Bills GM? You just keep making yourself look silly. 

The nicest thing Allen could do is allow his agent to do a long term deal like Mahomes.  Almost all QB’s want a contract no longer than five years, but preferred four years.  The simple reason is they know the market will go up, the cap will go up, and they will make even more $ in the next contract.  The team takes some risk regarding injury, but given how well QB’s are protected, Allen’s nicest gift is a longer contract.  

He’s not taking a paycut.  Would you?  I’m in sales and management so I give myself a raise by selling more stuff.  His play is his bonus as correlative.  People ask this question or make these statements all the time on sports radio shows, and the answer regardless of the hosts is a big fat no.

18 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

IMHO that doesn't sound like Josh.  He is a team first guy.  He will take care if himself with an eye on helping the team.  He saw the results of Brady helping the Pat's with his salary.

Brady was the only player in the league whose wife made more money than he did.  He didn't have to maximize his contract.

$35 million, $40 million, $45 million - either way you slice it, it's more money than most people would know what to do with. A lot of the one upsmanship that goes on with contracts with professional athletes strikes me as being rooted in large part in insecurity on the part of the player. Josh Allen does not strike me as insecure in any way - and he loves to win. Hometown discount? Depends how you define it - I could see Allen striking a team-friendly deal.

3 hours ago, sirebors said:

My Jordan example is wrong how? Everyone on planet earth knows that winning is the most important thing in life to Michael Jordan. Everyone that is, except you. Did I say Michael Jordan took a small contract? Did I say Michael Jordan took less money then he was worth? Did I say Michael Jordan took a team friendly contract? I didn't say anything at all about what Michael Jordan took. I asked a simple question. What is more important to Michael Jordan, winning or a bigger contract? Maybe you should try and work on your reading comprehension and stop trying so hard to look silly. Because you're doing a great job of it. 

And I give dollar values but not position? What are you talking about? It's a post about Tom Brad's salary. In case you didn't know, his position is quarterback! And yes talking about Brady, the greatest quarterback of all time, taking less money at the position quarterback is entirely relevant since Josh Allen plays the same position. Brady likes to win. Josh Allen wants to win. Brady took less money not because he doesn't like money or he has enough. He took less money because he wants to break every record that ever stood and yes, he wants to win above all else. 

And when did I ever say it was a "given" Josh Allen would do this? The entire post is a hypothetical question. The entire post is everyone offering opinions on what he may do. Show me where I said anywhere in this entire post that it's a given Josh Allen does this. The only person that said Josh would take a team friendly deal was Brandon Beane.  "Josh is a competitor. He's not wired for us just to pay him, then not be able to put stuff around him." The Buffalo Bills GM said this! Did he make it up? Did he say it out of the clear blue? Or did he say it with insider information on his side? Do you really think he would make that statement without already hearing that from Josh Allen's own mouth? Do you know more than the Buffalo Bills GM? You just keep making yourself look silly. 

Elite basketball players are in a totally different financial reality than even the best NFL QBs.  Jordan made less than $100M playing basketball even though he had years with the highest salary in the NBA.  It was so high that the record wasn’t broken for 15 years after.  

But he’s worth approximately $1.6B now.  He didn’t get the vast majority of that from NBA contracts, he got it - billions of dollars of it - from Nike, Gatorade and other companies.  So if you are Jordan or Lebron or the like it actually pays more to win and be thought of as a great than it does to make money directly from your NBA team.  Rules in the NBA top out salaries now so it’s a pretty moot point, but I’d argue that Lebron would do better for himself financially if he played a few seasons for free and won a couple more championships than if he maxed his salary out on a garbage team.

Even the best QBs don’t have that kind of advertising power.  Sure, a lot of them make some money doing it, but what football player is making 20 times his NFL earnings from advertising?

• Agree 1

People here should also understand what is usually meant by a “team friendly deal”.  That typically means that a deal has:

- relatively little guaranteed money

- low early cap hits 

- exit clauses (aka non guaranteed roster bonuses)

- below market value compensation

- difficult to achieve performance clauses

Not only do I think that Allen will get a close to market value contract, IMO it’d be wrong to ask him to take a lot less.  If he’s your guy, then he’s your guy.  Treat him like he is.  That doesn’t mean that you can’t negotiate contract length, dollars and guarantees.  That’s expected.  But you can’t expect him to take a lot less than he deserves.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, sirebors said:

And I give dollar values but not position? What are you talking about? It's a post about Tom Brad's salary.

When did Jordan ever sacrifice money for 'winning' like you claim? He held the record for the most money for 15 years which is unheard of.. Jordan may have liked winning a great deal, but your claim he sacrificed money for it is not accurate. 

The ranking position of Brady's salary. Was he the 10th highest paid QB in each of those years? 5th? How did you not get that?

12 hours ago, BearNorth said:

Brady was the only player in the league whose wife made more money than he did.  He didn't have to maximize his contract.

That is one way to interpret the situation.  I stand by my take.  I am not saying the total compensation won't be near market value.  I am saying the Josh contract will be structured to be team friendly.  He wants to win and have a talented team around him.

7 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

When did Jordan ever sacrifice money for 'winning' like you claim? He held the record for the most money for 15 years which is unheard of.. Jordan may have liked winning a great deal, but your claim he sacrificed money for it is not accurate. 

The ranking position of Brady's salary. Was he the 10th highest paid QB in each of those years? 5th? How did you not get that?

Comparing the NBA salary cap to the NFL is not correct here. In 1998 Jordan as an individual($33 million) made more than the team cap($27), in the NBA teams have always been able to do things to keep players that the NFL would never allow. So the only proper comparison is other NFL players.

• Eyeroll 1

9 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

When did I EVER say Michael Jordan sacrificed money for winning? This is the entire extent of my Michael Jordan conversation. But you're obsessed with it. 2 sentences asking hypothetically what was most important to Jordan? That winning has always been his biggest driving force in life. Where did I say he EVER sacrificed ANYTHING!!!??? Where did I EVER say he didn't get paid? Or that he took less money than he wanted or deserved? When did I EVER say anything even remotely close to that? I asked what's most important to Michael Jordan. It was a QUESTION. But somehow you infer from a QUESTION that I somehow said Michael Jordan sacrificed money for winning. Like I said, work on your reading comprehension. 

On 3/26/2021 at 10:31 AM, sirebors said:

When does winning take precedent for some players over an extra couple million? Would Michael Jordan rather win or have a bigger contract? Jordan's primary driving force in life is winning. 

And now for the helpless and obtuse I'll post rankings so maybe you'll have a clue. 

TOM BRADY QB PAY RANK/year

2012.    17th

2013.     5th

2014.    12th

2015.     14th

2016.     18th

2017.      20th

2018.     11th

2019.     11th

Is that good enough? Or do you need even more? 

2 hours ago, sirebors said:

When did I EVER say Michael Jordan sacrificed money for winning? This is the entire extent of my Michael Jordan conversation. But you're obsessed with it. 2 sentences asking hypothetically what was most important to Jordan? That winning has always been his biggest driving force in life. Where did I say he EVER sacrificed ANYTHING!!!??? Where did I EVER say he didn't get paid? Or that he took less money than he wanted or deserved? When did I EVER say anything even remotely close to that? I asked what's most important to Michael Jordan. It was a QUESTION. But somehow you infer from a QUESTION that I somehow said Michael Jordan sacrificed money for winning. Like I said, work on your reading comprehension. 

And now for the helpless and obtuse I'll post rankings so maybe you'll have a clue. 

TOM BRADY QB PAY RANK/year

2012.    17th

2013.     5th

2014.    12th

2015.     14th

2016.     18th

2017.      20th

2018.     11th

2019.     11th

Is that good enough? Or do you need even more? 

I like how Winning was the most important thing statement from you for Jordan is now "Winning was just as important as money". How the hell do you know that Jordan would have conceptually sacrificed money for winning.. when he didn't do that?

--

As for Brady, now we have the exception that proves the rule...

We won't even get into the investment into outside business from kraft. 

There is a common misconception that's been debunked many times over, Tom Brady never took a pay cut, they extended his contract to where he got guaranteed money which lowered his salary cap total so the Pats could sign more players, he never took a pay cut but he may have signed with the Patriots for a few million less than other teams would pay. Not sure because he always signed back with the Patriots before his contract was up accept for this past year of course.

• Like (+1) 1