Would Josh Allen ever consider a team friendly contract?

sirebors

9 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I could 100% see Josh take a major discount to benefit the team. 

I really believe these guys love each other and their ultimate objective is to win a Lombardi. 

I'd be surprised if he didn't give us a discount....

You've got a surprise coming! 

You folk living in a fairy land that Josh is gonna sign for 30-35 a year (or less) are in for a rude awakening. Even if Josh was open to it, there will be many people telling him to not be an idiot. On top of his friends, family and agent there is the NFLPA who put s a lot of pressure on players to not take 'discounts' and go to the max dollar value possible. If Allen takes a discount and let's just say it's 35 then that means the other QBs around the league now are probably looking at falling in behind him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

You folk living in a fairy land that Josh is gonna sign for 30-35 a year (or less) are in for a rude awakening. Even if Josh was open to it, there will be many people telling him to not be an idiot. On top of his friends, family and agent there is the NFLPA who put s a lot of pressure on players to not take 'discounts' and go to the max dollar value possible. If Allen takes a discount and let's just say it's 35 then that means the other QBs around the league now are probably looking at falling in behind him. 

Do you think he will play for candy?

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They don't have a choice. That is how it has to be done 

Exaclty. And why would his agent allow it? He has other clients too.

He will be paid just under what Mahommes got paid. 

Josh can tell his agent to take it or leave it. The agent works for Josh not the other way around.

It's rare for a QB to not get pretty much every $ they are worth and bit more. But Josh is a rare QB after all. 

My prediction is that his deal will average around $35-36 million per year. 

4 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Josh can tell his agent to take it or leave it. The agent works for Josh not the other way around.

It's rare for a QB to not get pretty much every $ they are worth and bit more. But Josh is a rare QB after all. 

You and no one else on here knows anything about Josh on a personal level. He seems like a great guy. But money is money. 

22 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Why would the NFLPA put pressure on a QB to sign to the max they can get? Don't they also represent the LB's, OL, CB, WR etc that would benefit from larger salaries from QB's taking more team friendly deals? Teams have to spend up to a certain percentage of the cap every year. The money will be spent at other positions ultimately benefiting other players.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

So did all these same people tell Brady he was an idiot? Brady, the GOAT, who was playing for probably half of what he could have, did he dictate the future salaries of the rest of the quarterbacks?  Did the NFLPA put pressure on Brady and force him not to accept his contract? I don't believe so, those other salaries kept rising, making us aware that Brady was actually playing for less than his worth. Did his agents not want the money? Did he have bad agents? I have no idea what Josh might accept, the question is merely would he take a team discount. Our GM who has a pretty good track record and knows Josh Allen much better than probably you do is saying that exact thing. So who's right? I never once said Josh would accept 30 million, I said, how much money is enough for someone? When does winning take precedent for some players over an extra couple million? Would Michael Jordan rather win or have a bigger contract? Jordan's primary driving force in life is winning. Josh has that same driving force, on top of being a farmer that honestly cares about other people and his teammates. Beane even knows this. I would even go as far as to say that Beane probably would have never made that statement publicly unless Josh Allen had hinted it to Beane or even outright told him. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Well, I'm not going to predict what Allen will do.   But he IS playing for a team that promotes a team mentality, and he has bought into that mentality completely.  So that's something. 

Plus, not everyone is into the get-every-dollar-you-can point of view.   If you're a 26-year-old linebacker who's made $8 million during your time in the league, the next contract has a lot to say about what the rest of your life will look like.   But if you're about to sign a contract that GUARANTEES $100 million, which after tax and current living expenses leaves you with $50 million in the bank, you're in a much different position.  You're looking at a life where your annual income, for the rest of your life, is $1.5 to $2 million.   Every year, $1.5 million.  For ever.  

In that position, some players will say "I don't need every last dollar.  I care about winning, and if sharing some of the extra dollars I could get means my team will be in a better position, I can do that."   

Everything we know about Allen is that he is the kind of guy who might take that approach.   For one thing, I get the sense, but I don't know, that his family is financially successful.   This isn't a situation where Josh is going to run out and buy a house for Mom.  Second, he's really well grounded, a simple-pleasures kind of guy.  Third, all the reports are that he is a 100% team guy.  

So, I expect that Allen will at least agree to anything Beane suggests in terms of contract structure.   That is, if the dollars are the same, Allen will take the team-friendly contract structure.  

Beyond that, we may never know how hard Allen bargained for what he got.  That is, if Allen could get $40 million a year guaranteed for six years and he takes $39 million a year, we simply won't know.   If that happens, that's team-friendly $1 million a year.   If he takes $38 million a year, same thing.   

The only way we'll know if Allen was team-friendly will be if he takes a number that we all can see is lower than his market value.  If he gets a new deal that leaves him out of the top five QBs in terms of pay, we'll know.  But if he takes a deal that makes him the fourth highest paid QB, it means he probably still left money on the table, money that his agent knew he could get but Allen said not.   

Think about it this way.   If Allen takes money that makes him the #4 highest paid, don't you think Allen could have said "no, I'll try free agency" and done better?   I mean, why take #4 money when he can be a free agent or force the Bills to franchise him, which will get him the average of the top 5?   Cousins did it and it worked great for him.  Why wouldn't Allen?

All I'm saying is wait and see.  If Allen gets a deal that approaches Mahomes range, we'll know Allen pushed for the dollars.  If he's getting only top 5 money, it means he gave the Bills a discount. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You and no one else on here knows anything about Josh on a personal level. He seems like a great guy. But money is money. 

Championship is championship.

I'm not sure you can even put a price tag on what it would mean for Josh Allen to win a championship. Not just for himself, for his fellow teamates, the city of Buffalo and the Bills fan base. So while I don't know Allen on a personal level. The team comes 1st mentality seems fairly obvious IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, sirebors said:

So did all these same people tell Brady he was an idiot? Brady, the GOAT, who was playing for probably half of what he could have, did he dictate the future salaries of the rest of the quarterbacks?  Did the NFLPA put pressure on Brady and force him not to accept his contract? I don't believe so, those other salaries kept rising, making us aware that Brady was actually playing for less than his worth. Did his agents not want the money? Did he have bad agents? I have no idea what Josh might accept, the question is merely would he take a team discount. Our GM who has a pretty good track record and knows Josh Allen much better than probably you do is saying that exact thing. So who's right? I never once said Josh would accept 30 million, I said, how much money is enough for someone? When does winning take precedent for some players over an extra couple million? Would Michael Jordan rather win or have a bigger contract? Jordan's primary driving force in life is winning. Josh has that same driving force, on top of being a farmer that honestly cares about other people and his teammates. Beane even knows this. I would even go as far as to say that Beane probably would have never made that statement publicly unless Josh Allen had hinted it to Beane or even outright told him. 

1. Brady at age 43 doesn't dictate the salaries of young franchise QBs

2. Michael Jordan was the first NBA player to sign a contract worth over $20 million and in fact it exceeded $30 million as well in a season (1996-97); this was a record for 15 years. 

3 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Why would the NFLPA put pressure on a QB to sign to the max they can get? Don't they also represent the LB's, OL, CB, WR etc that would benefit from larger salaries from QB's taking more team friendly deals? Teams have to spend up to a certain percentage of the cap every year. The money will be spent at other positions ultimately benefiting other players.

The NFLPA has long held this position and prioritized max dollar deals without regard for it's affect on other players. 

I don't think Allen will be haggling over every last cent.

In that respect I think the negotiations will ultimately be done civily.

I do think he will be getting handsomely paid in line with the top QBs.

I also think that he will allow a structure to the deal that helps the Bills, not only now, but in the future.

For those considerations, I think he will be getting some serious amounts of guaranteed money.

Rather than wondering how much per year he will be getting, tbh, I'm much more interested in how long the deal will be for.

And I think the length of contract might define a lot of the numbers.

You can easily make an argument for a long deal (say 10 years) at $40+ million per, because by the end of it, he will be relatively cheap.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I could see Josh following Tom Brady's example and go for the total dollars he deserves, but make the terms team friendly.

A list of players making more than Josh in 2021

Tre'Davious White

Dion Dawkins

Stefon Diggs

Mitch Morse

Jerry Hughes

Matt Milano

Mario Addison

Jordan Poyer

Micah Hyde

Daryl Williams

Vernon Butler

Cole Beasley

Star Lotulelei

A.J. Klein

Emmanuel Sanders

with Feliciano and Oliver right behind him.

I think the Bills already had their bargain time.

10 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Especially if it comes from Colorado.

yep.

As to Josh.  Spotrac has his market value at 4 years $42M average.  That is very much dead on.

If Josh signs a 6 year at the same average it will be a discount.   He may sign even a 7 year.

That's what I have predicted since the Mahomes signing.