Would Josh Allen ever consider a team friendly contract?

sirebors

With a top 5 QB we have options that were previously not available to us. We need to take this to deflating footballs, paying Allen under the table and a better version of getting game tape with drones. We have our franchise QB, now we can push the rules in our favor, that 1st rd pick that we will lose can easily be absorbed if caught. If the Patriots don’t have a ****** then neither will we.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

17 hours ago, sirebors said:

Brady did. The GOAT was far below his market value. 

Actually he didn't.

Tom Brady agreed to a lower contract, while the Patriots were investing in his health company TB12.

People think Brady was being unselfish and taking less money, so his team could afford better players under the salary cap.  In reality, this was just another questionable tactic by the New England Patriots organization to get around the league rules.

I would not ask Allen to take less. Buffalo is smart and will offer market value.  Sometimes the differance of a few million annually is the differance from a long good relationship or Dallas situation with Dak.  

Edited by Mat68

I'm hoping if he is re-upped before his 4th or 5th season that it's written up like Tre White's deal wherein the 4th and 5th years remain on the cap the same with a big signing bonus to hold him over until the big money comes in year 6 and onward. Otherwise, i'm not in a rush to throw out the advantage of having a QB on his Rookie deal a year or two before we have to. 

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'm hoping if he is re-upped before his 4th or 5th season that it's written up like Tre White's deal wherein the 4th and 5th years remain on the cap the same with a big signing bonus to hold him over until the big money comes in year 6 and onward. Otherwise, i'm not in a rush to throw out the advantage of having a QB on his Rookie deal a year or two before we have to. 

Don't worry.  It will.  The Bills will pick up his 5th year option in March and his new contract will be singed by May.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

You are most likely correct with the overall numbers.  How the 5 year split of the signing bonus v roster bonus (Mahomes deal)

is debatable but your overall idea is probably very close IMO.

One thing I don't understand is Josh is due $6.9M in 2021 (4th year of rookie deal) and it seems you have $3.5M.

6 year extension I think is the minimum in length and I could see a 7 year contract but that also is debatable.

His cap hit is $6.9M, his actual cash take for '21 is $3.5M

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Don't worry.  It will.  The Bills will pick up his 5th year option in March and his new contract will be singed by May.

Correct. Both Mahomes and Watson had their 4th and 5th yrs of their deals rolled into their newly signed extensions.

Expect the same thing for Allen.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't agree with giving him a contract extension this offseason unless he wins the Super Bowl. I wouldn't entertain it until he was under his fifth-year option. I want to see more from him. What I mean by more is see him have similar numbers next year. Play as well next year. We need to make sure this isn't a flash in the pan. Those are the players that set your organization back a decade. 

• Vomit 1

Josh seems to be a down to earth very morale structured person just a good guy but money changes people I'm not sure if he himself would go for the big bucks but that's why thesis guys have agents to talk for them . He said he liked a smaller town type place and was excited and hopeful to go to a Buffalo team will that be enough to satisfy the need for extra money ? 

Sitting where we all do shoot $5 million and i'd be set for life but he does have parents that stood by him so he would probably take care of them just based on the type of person he is all the time . Then we have to think how much their retired life will be effected by the pounding they take medical bills can add up fast ! 

So i would think he will go for as much as he can get in the first contract but maybe later like Brady he would be a little more forgiving on the second contract but for the first one back up the truck boys he's going for gold !! 

I have always asked when these guys negotiate huge contracts just how much is enough ? But i would think he will go where he believes he can be comfortable for the rest of his life after the NFL and i don't blame him but again how much is too much ? 

Hopefully he is a only child he'll need enough to take care of mom, dad & him then maybe have the second contract a performance based contract ...

Biggest difference in what Brady did is that the Pats* were funneling money to his businesses for years outside of football.  So, he would take less to help with the cap, but make no mistake about it, he was getting his.  Just another way the Pats* have been cheating for years.

Edited by sven233

• 2 months later...

This can't be possible. Beane would never say this. Josh is not wired like that. And he would never accept a team friendly deal to increase his team's chance for success. At least that's what I was told on here. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/josh-allen-contract-extension-bills-gm-brandon-beane-says-he-wants-to-get-a-deal-done-sooner-than-later/

"We want him to be happy, and obviously, we want it to be a deal where we can still put talented players around him because Josh is a competitor. He's not wired for us just to pay him, then not be able to put stuff around him. So we'll try and find that deal that works for him and works for us."

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/19/2021 at 3:14 PM, Estro said:

His cap hit is $6.9M, his actual cash take for '21 is $3.5M

Correct. Both Mahomes and Watson had their 4th and 5th yrs of their deals rolled into their newly signed extensions.

Expect the same thing for Allen.

They don't have a choice. That is how it has to be done 

On 1/19/2021 at 3:35 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Why would any top player on his second contract take a "home town discount"???

This makes no sense at all.

Exaclty. And why would his agent allow it? He has other clients too.

He will be paid just under what Mahommes got paid. 

• Agree 1

The best team friendly deal he could take is what Mahomes did last year.  The capologists who know contracts have said agents normally would never go with Mahomes for 10 years.  Currently he makes less than Russel Wilson.  People get starry eyed on $450 mil, but it was structured so he makes less for years and balloons later.  He wins, and so does KC.  He didn’t take a discount, just a discount now.  It’s speculated in 5 years he’ll be the 14th avg. paid QB in the league given the increases in QB pay.

That would be my hope that Allen would do the same.  The reason Kelce received his new deal was Mahomes contract constructed in this manner.  Most QB’s like Dak pushed for a four year deal, not five because he knows in four years he will make that much more.  Allen taking a long term deal helps the whole team down the road.

Allen taking a team discount is not going to happen in terms of less $.  What someone else wrote about Brady is what I heard as well.  I don’t know if it’s true, but wouldn’t surprise me if Kraft circumvented the cap.

On 1/18/2021 at 3:54 PM, sirebors said:

Is this possible?

Could or would Josh Allen take a below market value contract like Tom Brady did for the benefit of his team?

I know it seems silly at face value but Josh is cut from a different cloth. He is a consumate team player and genuinely a good person and cares about his team and teammates. To build a dynasty and further gain the respect of his teammates would he ever consider this? 

I'm sure his agent wouldn't be happy but I don't think money is Josh Allen's primary driving focus. To be able to keep Milano, Williams, and even pay his friend Diggs?

I mean seriously, when is enough enough? Does it have to be 500 million? Isn't 350 million or 400 million enough to live comfortably for the rest of his life? Would the rest of the league, particularly the quarterbacks be critical of him for doing this? I'm just curious what everyone's take is? And if so, what would he be willing to accept? 

The way I see it, as long as HA is on the Bills roster it was a team friendly deal.  This is the best QB we have had in nearly 30 years and could go down as the best ever.  Pay that man his money!

On 1/19/2021 at 3:35 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Why would any top player on his second contract take a "home town discount"???

This makes no sense at all.

Absolutely.  A below market deal is something that a QB in the latter stages of his career MIGHT take AFTER he’s already made a ton of money and is chasing a ring on a salary cap strapped team.  That’s about it.

I love the “he’s such a great guy he’ll give up $10M a year” crowd!  You all crack me up!

• Agree 1