Would Josh Allen ever consider a team friendly contract?

sirebors

I like these type of discussions.  These are alot better than, we took the wrong "Josh", he hasn't thrown for over 300 yards "Ever".

Pay the man what he is worth when that time comes.

All I can say is, I'm sure glad they picked him.

Go Bills!! 

11 hours ago, boater said:

Home is important. That's why I moved back to this frozen tundra after 25 years away, Home has drawing power.

Where am I going with this? Josh is West Coast born and raised. I could see him spurning Buffalo offers and signing withe the 49's, Raiders, or some other West Coast club. Let's not forget the influence of his girl friend, who seems Cali all the way.

Early front-runner for dumbest take of the year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Allen's new contract is as follows:

Floor: $39M yr. (Watson deal 4 yr. - $156M)

Ceiling: $45M yr (Mahomes 10 yr. - $450M)

I expect Allen's extension to be richer and longer than Watson's, but it won't exceed Mahomes money or term.  

Prediction: 6 yr. - $252M extension ($42M per)

With 2 years left on his deal @ $3.5M in '21 and $25M in '22 (5th yr option).  That would make the total value of Allen's new deal 8 yrs. - $280M ($35M/per)

'21 - $12M (cash), $6M (cap hit)

'22 - $23M, $16M

'23 - $30M, $24M

'24 - $42M, $42M 

'25 - $40M, $42M

'26 - $43M, $48M

'27 - $44M, $50M

'28 - $46M, $52M

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, BearNorth said:

Josh is repped by Creative Artists Agency, e.g. Hollywood folk.  They make their money from the deals they get for their clients.  They don't give two figs about salary cap and team chemistry.  He will get the top dollar for who ever gets paid that year.  Doubt Hollywood sharks will ever take a hometown discount.

Hollywood agents are very accustomed to lower money deals. They negotiate them quite often, especially when it improves the clients brand and future value. All those art films, side projects, and tv cameos don’t pay the big bucks. What they’re brilliant at is finding extra avenues for revenue, and they’re willing to adapt to attain long term goals and rebrand clients. 

All that said, I doubt Allen takes some major hometown discount without other factors.... Major endorsement deal (think nba $$$), fully guaranteed contract, etc. 

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The Pegulas need to pay him Under the table like the Patriots did with Brady. Give him 30mil a year and another 10 to circumvent the cap. 

I came here to say the same thing 😂

Any chance JA17 wants to open his own gym that the Bills can send their players to 😉

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Estro said:

Allen's new contract is as follows:

Floor: $39M yr. (Watson deal 4 yr. - $156M)

Ceiling: $45M yr (Mahomes 10 yr. - $450M)

I expect Allen's extension to be richer and longer than Watson's, but it won't exceed Mahomes money or term.  

Prediction: 6 yr. - $252M extension ($42M per)

With 2 years left on his deal @ $3.5M in '21 and $25M in '22 (5th yr option).  That would make the total value of Allen's new deal 8 yrs. - $280M ($35M/per)

'21 - $12M (cash), $6M (cap hit)

'22 - $23M, $16M

'23 - $30M, $24M

'24 - $42M, $42M 

'25 - $40M, $42M

'26 - $43M, $48M

'27 - $44M, $50M

'28 - $46M, $52M

You are most likely correct with the overall numbers.  How the 5 year split of the signing bonus v roster bonus (Mahomes deal)

is debatable but your overall idea is probably very close IMO.

One thing I don't understand is Josh is due $6.9M in 2021 (4th year of rookie deal) and it seems you have $3.5M.

6 year extension I think is the minimum in length and I could see a 7 year contract but that also is debatable.

16 hours ago, BITE ME said:

He isn't getting $500 million unless they win the Super Bowl.  If he wins a Super Bowl he is worth the $500 million.  The quarterback that brings the city of Buffalo their first world championship should be the highest paid player in the NFL.

You have a lot of bias built into that.  Not sure your conclusions are valid.

16 hours ago, Neo said:

I don’t think you “sign” team friendly deals as often as you “restructure” later to be team friendly as you continue to win and be competitive.   If i’m his agent, I say “get every penny today.   You can always accommodate later, on your terms, when you want to.”

The goal of all sports agents is to get as much $ up front in a new K, today.

The goal of all GMs is to defer compensation as far away into the future as possible, while paying as little as possible.

This is true.

Before we all worry about how we are going to pay Josh 10 trillion dollars for the next 2 decades, can we see if he can maintain this calibre of play first?

There is a TON of recent history showing superstar QBs fading as their career progresses.

Ask RGIII or Wentz or Kaepernick what I'm talking about.

Edited by Nextmanup

21 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You have a lot of bias built into that.  Not sure your conclusions are valid.

The goal of all sports agents is to get as much $ up front in a new K, today.

The goal of all GMs is to defer compensation as far away into the future as possible, while paying as little as possible.

This is true.

Before we all worry about how we are going to pay Josh 10 trillion dollars for the next 2 decades, can we see if he can maintain this calibre of play first?

There is a TON of recent history showing superstar QBs fading as their career progresses.

Ask RGIII or Wentz or Kaepernick what I'm talking about.

Cam falls into that group as well.

When a team is certain they have their QB then they can do a 10 year deal that's really great for both sides. This sort of thing is an obvious slam dunk that most teams can't even consider since they lack certainty.

Todays dollars in no way resemble 2030 dollars, honestly I just feel bad for other teams.

1 minute ago, Steve Billieve said:

When a team is certain they have their QB then they can do a 10 year deal that's really great for both sides. This sort of thing is an obvious slam dunk that most teams can't even consider since they lack certainty.

Todays dollars in no way resemble 2030 dollars, honestly I just feel bad for other teams.

This is probably true and would be amazing if the Bills did it. You bite the bullet a little in the beginning and then pray he stays healthy and maintains his upward trajectory.