Would Josh Allen ever consider a team friendly contract?

sirebors

It's a business.  It is wonderful that he has embraced the city.  But he and his agent will and should fight for a fair contract.  And a fair contract based on precedent is being paid at least top 3 money.  There are a couple of issues that make it more challenging to take less money.  First his take home pay with the state taxes is going to be less than similar deals in some other states.  Second, at least so far he has not gotten the national recognition and marketing dollars that other QBs have.  Rodger, Manning, and Mahommes seems like naturals in front of the camera.  Brady not so much but he married a woman that has more wealth than he does.  Agents have agendas too. They have more than just one client and they may not want to risk being seen as settling for a bad deal.  

In the end, Beane will need to find a way to build a team around a star QB that is paid top 2 or 3 money.  Any home town discount won't really be that much in cap savings. Beane will need to start trading down to acquire more picks, play the comp pick game, sign some aging vets for the league minimum and draft well.  All much easier said than done.  Many have tried few if any have succeeded.

1 minute ago, DJB said:

We've saved money by not really paying QB's the past 25 years. 

Just pay the man. 

I'm not talking about the Bills trying to short change him... I'm asking if Josh would voluntarily take a team friendly deal to improve his teams chance for success? Say they don't have the money to sign a Daryl Williams and Josh is injured and his career is cut short. How is that better for him or the team? 

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

For the record, as someone who would love him to take a team-friendly deal, I would be ECSTATIC if it's the same as the Mahomes deal. That is what I mean by a team-friendly deal.

What would be a disaster for us is if he signs as #1 QB contract and it doesn't have the flexibility that Mahomes' does. Trying to trust Beane to execute something similar or better than Mahomes'.

Yea. If people mean maximum long term flex when they say team friendly then it is possible I'd even say likely. If they mean leaving money on the table then that ain't happening. 

Allen is going to be getting paid over $40m per year average value.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, sirebors said:

I'm not talking about the Bills trying to short change him... I'm asking if Josh would voluntarily take a team friendly deal to improve his teams chance for success? Say they don't have the money to sign a Daryl Williams and Josh is injured and his career is cut short. How is that better for him or the team? 

I mean maybe...but when was the last time an ascending superstar QB took a discount? I don't think its happened before and it's because of player agents. 

I'm with you though man. If it were me I'd sign a team friendly 300 million deal instead of 500 million and use that extra $$$ to spend on the team to win. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

They will lock him up for alot longer than 5 years. I still think 10/ 400 is reasonable. 

And the Pegula's will pay for an insurance policy in case anything bad happens.  As they said in the Godfather "Just business".

2 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Ahhhhhh yes, the ONE outlier ever. He also could because he wasn’t the bread winner in his own family! If you ever listen to the players, they NEVER want their teammates taking less money than what they can get. They want their teammates to get paid. Pay Josh what he is worth, don’t think that he’s going to take some sort of hometown discount because he seems like that kind of guy. I’m telling you if you short change your quarterback, guys know and guys don’t want to play for teams that are cheap 

Gisele is apparently worth 400 Million, Tom "only" 180, so yes Tom could take a "team friendly" deal for the past 12 years when they got together.

Ahhhhhh yes, the ONE outlier ever. He also could because he wasn’t the bread winner in his own family! If you ever listen to the players, they NEVER want their teammates taking less money than what they can get. They want their teammates to get paid. Pay Josh what he is worth, don’t think that he’s going to take some sort of hometown discount because he seems like that kind of guy. I’m telling you if you short change your quarterback, guys know and guys don’t want to play for teams that are cheap 

Gisele is apparently worth 400 Million, Tom "only" 180, so yes Tom could take a "team friendly" deal for the past 12 years when they got together.

2 hours ago, sirebors said:

Is this possible?

Could or would Josh Allen take a below market value contract like Tom Brady did for the benefit of his team?

I know it seems silly at face value but Josh is cut from a different cloth. He is a consumate team player and genuinely a good person and cares about his team and teammates. To build a dynasty and further gain the respect of his teammates would he ever consider this? 

I'm sure his agent wouldn't be happy but I don't think money is Josh Allen's primary driving focus. To be able to keep Milano, Williams, and even pay his friend Diggs?

I mean seriously, when is enough enough? Does it have to be 500 million? Isn't 350 million or 400 million enough to live comfortably for the rest of his life? Would the rest of the league, particularly the quarterbacks be critical of him for doing this? I'm just curious what everyone's take is? And if so, what would he be willing to accept? 

thusis year 3....

it depends on if we win the SB this year vs next year.  If we don’t the next two yrs Thrn he might take a lower contract to keep more players vs having to rebuild with him getting a high contract.

37 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It's a business.  It is wonderful that he has embraced the city.  But he and his agent will and should fight for a fair contract.  And a fair contract based on precedent is being paid at least top 3 money.  There are a couple of issues that make it more challenging to take less money.  First his take home pay with the state taxes is going to be less than similar deals in some other states.  Second, at least so far he has not gotten the national recognition and marketing dollars that other QBs have.  Rodger, Manning, and Mahommes seems like naturals in front of the camera.  Brady not so much but he married a woman that has more wealth than he does.  Agents have agendas too. They have more than just one client and they may not want to risk being seen as settling for a bad deal.  

In the end, Beane will need to find a way to build a team around a star QB that is paid top 2 or 3 money.  Any home town discount won't really be that much in cap savings. Beane will need to start trading down to acquire more picks, play the comp pick game, sign some aging vets for the league minimum and draft well.  All much easier said than done.  Many have tried few if any have succeeded.

Stop talking sense. You could be moderated out.

Edited by boater
  • Thank you (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Redneck said:

I think Josh will do the right thing for everyone - he will break the bank in a team-friendly way.  One thing for sure - this off-season, he will have some endorsements and that will add to his wallet.  

Some, but I think his tweets from when he was a teenager will still be a problem for (non-local) bigger endorsement deals. I don't think that's necessarily "fair", but I think it's a factor. 

It does seem like there's a trend where having a good to great QB isn't enough if you can't build enough of a roster around him due to $ or other factors - Deshaun Watson, Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford come to mind.  I wonder also how much more he could make in national marketing deals (like Rodgers, Mahomes, have done) if he makes the Bills a regular contender - obviously easier if the team isn't cash strapped.

Still, the market is probably set at around 40 mil a year for him, and I would guess that's what he'll get.

42 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

For the last five years or so, Brady has made significantly more than Gisele.

Have qb salaries gone up as a percentage of the cap?  To answer the ops question....yes it matters.  I understand your point that he will be set for life regardless but at the same time most people will want to be paid their market value.  Money is relative.  What sounds like a lot to some is not enough for others.  

Edited by mattynh

7 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

You pay guys that are mvps. You don’t pay guys that aren’t.  It’s on beane to keep drafting well and getting talent on cheap rookie contracts. 

If Peter King’s vote is any guide, he will tie for second with Mahomes in MVP voting — which matches exactly his tie with Mahomes for second-team AP all-pro. The last time a Bills qb made the all-pro team (first or second team) was in 1991.

1 minute ago, mattynh said:

Have qb salaries gone up as a percentage of the cap?  To answer the ops question....yes it matters.  I understand your point that he will be set for life regardless but at the same time most people will want to be paid their market value.  

Like I said before, so if they can't sign a Daryl Williams and Josh gets hurt and his career is cut short, how is that better for him or his team. If the Bills aren't able to retain Diggs and Josh Allen and the team suffers, how is that better? If the Bills don't go to the Superbowl and Josh and teammates loses millions in endorsements, how is that better? Everything isn't black and white. There are a million extenuating circumstances that make this not so cut and dry. 

10 minutes ago, sirebors said:

Like I said before, so if they can't sign a Daryl Williams and Josh gets hurt and his career is cut short, how is that better for him or his team. If the Bills aren't able to retain Diggs and Josh Allen and the team suffers, how is that better? If the Bills don't go to the Superbowl and Josh and teammates loses millions in endorsements, how is that better? Everything isn't black and white. There are a million extenuating circumstances that make this not so cut and dry. 

No need for dramatics.  Pretty sure we are all aware there is a salary cap.  There are lots of examples of teams that lose talent after paying their qb. Seahawks Texans Packers Saints.  Do the qbs know this?  Pretty sure they do.   Brady always took less so it can happen.  But it’s the exception not the rule. 

2 minutes ago, mattynh said:

No need for dramatics.  Pretty sure we are all aware there is a salary cap.  There are lots of examples of teams that lose talent after paying their qb. Seahawks Texans Packers Saints.  Do the qbs know this?  Pretty sure they do.   Brady always took less so it can happen.  But it’s the exception not the rule. 

I'm not being dramatic. Trying to be a realist. Brady did it. Some posters on this board said they'd do it. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that Josh Allen could do it. Or even that free agents might do it because of certain circumstances such as being part of a winning franchise. 

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Then we better win the Super Bowl this year, because we sure as hell aren't winning it if we're paying one player that kind of money.

We better not pay him any extra $ until his current contract is over. If we do, we're essentially just throwing away our best chance to win a Super Bowl. Isn't that what it's all about?

Not saying I want to do this with Allen, but some team sometime is going to draft a stud rookie QB, keep him for 4 years + the 5th option year, and then let him go, having used a 1st-round pick on a replacement the year prior. It makes too much sense for some bold team to not make a habit of this.

but then it makes zero sense when you realize we just waited 25 years to get a franchise qb.