Would Josh Allen ever consider a team friendly contract?

sirebors

1 minute ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

It's also not clear we'll ever know the answer. The negotiation isn't going to be a situation where the Bills offer Josh Allen a contract and he says no, pay me less. It is absolutely conceivable that he will accept an offer made at a reasonably competitive figure rather than ask to maximize every dollar possible. So it's "less" than he might theoretically be able to scrape out if the agent plays super-hardball. In my view, that is realistic. I do not think it is realistic to have him come out of this where he's playing like a top 5 QB but getting paid like the 10th or 15th-highest paid QB.

I could see this happening as well. 

So, Deshaun Watson's contract is 4 yr/$156M with a guarantee of $73.7M that goes up to a guaranteed $110.7M after March 2022. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/deshaun-watson-21753/

Mahomes' contract is 10 yr/$450M with a guarantee of $63M that goes up to a guaranteed $141.5M over an extended period of time. A lot of the contract value is in 2027 or beyond.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/patrick-mahomes-21751/

Are we sure Mahomes' contract is that team-unfriendly? It has an insane eye-popping number but it doesn't grow that fast for a while. If the economics of the NFL don't expand to make the out years reasonable... they can theoretically be renegotiated downward if needed, because the guarantees grow over time. If on the other hand the salary cap escalates after the economy rebounds, the team can afford what are currently outlandish salaries.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HalftimeAdjustment said:

So, Deshaun Watson's contract is 4 yr/$156M with a guarantee of $73.7M that goes up to a guaranteed $110.7M after March 2022. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/deshaun-watson-21753/

Mahomes' contract is 10 yr/$450M with a guarantee of $63M that goes up to a guaranteed $141.5M over an extended period of time. A lot of the contract value is in 2027 or beyond.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/patrick-mahomes-21751/

Are we sure Mahomes' contract is that team-unfriendly? It has an insane eye-popping number but it doesn't grow that fast for a while. If the economics of the NFL don't expand to make the out years reasonable... they can theoretically be renegotiated downward if needed, because the guarantees grow over time. If on the other hand the salary cap escalates after the economy rebounds, the team can afford what are currently outlandish salaries.

No Mahomes contract is very team friendly. But it team friendly because of its structure not because of its numbers. It is a really clever contract where the money is all in roster bonuses and the guarantees escalate. So after the 2021 season his 2023 roster bonus guarantees and so on. Gives the Chiefs almost unending flexibility for restructures throughout the life of that deal. 

But he didn't take below his market value. He reset the market by ten million dollars when he signed. Watson signed after and is still $7m off. 

Home is important. That's why I moved back to this frozen tundra after 25 years away, Home has drawing power.

Where am I going with this? Josh is West Coast born and raised. I could see him spurning Buffalo offers and signing withe the 49's, Raiders, or some other West Coast club. Let's not forget the influence of his girl friend, who seems Cali all the way.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

No. He won't. 

I mean, based on every indication we have about Josh Allen, if anyone in the NFL would ever take a team-friendly deal, it would be him. So you're pretty much saying that no one ever takes team-friendly deals. Mahomes did, and I don't think he's quite the person Allen is.

For what it's worth, Eric Wood said on WGR today that McDermott and Beane both told him they recognize that they are in a window with Josh on his rookie deal and they need to win now.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

If you are working for a for-profit company (not a nonprofit/charity), in which you had no financial interest or ownership, would you take an employer-friendly compensation package?

Yes, if I would still be filthy rich and was creating more opportunities for others and a much higher chance of winning a Super Bowl. No brainer for me.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, boater said:

Home is important. That's why I moved back to this frozen tundra after 25 years away, Home has drawing power.

Where am I going with this? Josh is West Coast born and raised. I could see him spurning Buffalo offers and signing withe the 49's, Raiders, or some other West Coast club. Let's not forget the influence of his girl friend, who seems Cali all the way.

I don't see this happening. Anything is possible but once again, I don't think it's in a Josh's DNA. He has character, integrity, loyalty. He likes this area. He appreciates what the team did for him. Even what the fans did in memory of his grandmother will have lasting effect. Sure he's from California, but he's from a small town. He's not living in San Diego or Napa Valley. His girlfriend and him grew up in Firebaugh and attended Firebaugh High school together. He is a farmer and will always be a farmer. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, boater said:

I'm not sure about this, he wasn't a big city Cali guy. Small town, farm etc. Probably relates more to buffalo than LA, Vegas, SF or any of that. I also think he values the teammates around him as well as the front office.

If the team deteriorated and they were not paying him his money/coaching staff change anything like that, yeah who knows.

37 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

There is no way he takes a discount at this stage of his career. If we win the super bowl, he is getting $50MM a year. I say the lowest he gets is $45MM if they dont win the super bowl. 

Then we better win the Super Bowl this year, because we sure as hell aren't winning it if we're paying one player that kind of money.

We better not pay him any extra $ until his current contract is over. If we do, we're essentially just throwing away our best chance to win a Super Bowl. Isn't that what it's all about?

Not saying I want to do this with Allen, but some team sometime is going to draft a stud rookie QB, keep him for 4 years + the 5th option year, and then let him go, having used a 1st-round pick on a replacement the year prior. It makes too much sense for some bold team to not make a habit of this.

• Like (+1) 1

For the record, as someone who would love him to take a team-friendly deal, I would be ECSTATIC if it's the same as the Mahomes deal. That is what I mean by a team-friendly deal.

What would be a disaster for us is if he signs as #1 QB contract and it doesn't have the flexibility that Mahomes' does. Trying to trust Beane to execute something similar or better than Mahomes'.

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Then we better win the Super Bowl this year, because we sure as hell aren't winning it if we're paying one player that kind of money.

We better not pay him any extra $ until his current contract is over. If we do, we're essentially just throwing away our best chance to win a Super Bowl. Isn't that what it's all about?

Not saying I want to do this with Allen, but some team sometime is going to draft a stud rookie QB, keep him for 4 years + the 5th option year, and then let him go, having used a 1st-round pick on a replacement the year prior. It makes too much sense for some bold team to not make a habit of this.

This only happens if the supply of young QBs who work out gets somewhat close to the demand. At the moment that is just too risky because demand massively outstrips supply.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

What do you consider 'team friendly' ? Structure sometimes is as important as dollars.

This right here ^^^

Imo, friendly structure for certain, and maybe some money, but with the caveat that there are easily attainable bonuses to compensate for the money or some such a thing or another.. but really, wtf do I know about these sort of contracts,😂 I’m just T O M A on this...

Go Bills!!!