Would Josh Allen ever consider a team friendly contract?

sirebors

2 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

No, no, no, no, and no. It’s not his job to make the deal team friendly-don’t go cheap on your quarterback. Guys around the league watch that stuff. He might go 5-10 million less if he gets a bunch more guaranteed, but he’s not taking $30 million if the other guys are getting $40+ million now

Brady did. The GOAT was far below his market value. 

• Like (+1) 1

If TBD posters were in charge of contract negotiations the Bills would give Allen such a lowball extension number that he would be insulted and sign with another team.  Hometown discounts are a fantasy that only exists in fans' minds.  Pay the man, make him the 2nd highest paid player in the league after Mahomes no matter what, and equal Mahomes' contract if he wins the SB this year.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, sirebors said:

Ahhhhhh yes, the ONE outlier ever. He also could because he wasn’t the bread winner in his own family! If you ever listen to the players, they NEVER want their teammates taking less money than what they can get. They want their teammates to get paid. Pay Josh what he is worth, don’t think that he’s going to take some sort of hometown discount because he seems like that kind of guy. I’m telling you if you short change your quarterback, guys know and guys don’t want to play for teams that are cheap 

11 minutes ago, klos63 said:

What do you consider 'team friendly' ? Structure sometimes is as important as dollars.

5 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

He's getting paid what he deserves.

Combine both of your posts and I think you got the answer.

The only question is:  How many years?

My answer to that is probably 6 or 7.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, HalftimeAdjustment said:

If you are working for a for-profit company (not a nonprofit/charity), in which you had no financial interest or ownership, would you take an employer-friendly compensation package?

If I had the choice between making 40 million a year and going to 0 Superbowls and 30 million a year and going to 9 like Brady and be immortalized forever, I would probably choose the latter. With 3 or 400 million, you could allow generations of your family to live comfortably. I realize nothing is guaranteed. He could take a team friendly deal and still go to zero. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

If you are working for a for-profit company (not a nonprofit/charity), in which you had no financial interest or ownership, would you take an employer-friendly compensation package?

If it meant more of my mates could still work there and the workplace being more enjoyable (like winning more games) and I was making more money than I could ever spend in a hundred years, then yes, I most definitely would.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

The “team friendly” deal talk only comes down the line after you make a boatload of money. They’re going to pay him a lot of money. Maybe in 3-4 years, if the Bills need cap relief, he will help them out and restructure. But he wouldn’t be smart to take less now, and I doubt the Bills would ever even consider asking him to do that now.  It’s almost disrespectful. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

NFLPA won’t let him.  Expect a top 5 deal within 5 mil per of the max

Is this a real thing? I realize they could prefer he took what he was worth, but in the end it's his choice. I believe it will be close. And I believe Beane will give him what he's worth. I was just curious if he might to be willing in one shape or another to help create a dynasty. 

• Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, sirebors said:

Several factors there:

- As a national figure, Brady could expect to get more money from endorsement deals with continued success. In my opinion, Josh Allen is going to face some commercial limitations while playing in Buffalo even if he were to win Superbowl MVP (and maybe also outside of Buffalo).

- There may have been reasons Brady considered other options to be EXTREMELY undesirable. It's no secret, for example, that some players may sign for a bit less with a winning organization vs a losing organization. 

- It wasn't his second contract, was it? I believe he was already quite wealthy. Josh Allen is coming off of his first rookie contract and needs to make $$$ on his next contract to guarantee maximum earnings (in case of injury). Waiting to get paid later is almost always a bad move. 

• Like (+1) 2

Josh is repped by Creative Artists Agency, e.g. Hollywood folk.  They make their money from the deals they get for their clients.  They don't give two figs about salary cap and team chemistry.  He will get the top dollar for who ever gets paid that year.  Doubt Hollywood sharks will ever take a hometown discount.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, sirebors said:

Is this possible?

Could or would Josh Allen take a below market value contract like Tom Brady did for the benefit of his team?

I know it seems silly at face value but Josh is cut from a different cloth. He is a consumate team player and genuinely a good person and cares about his team and teammates. To build a dynasty and further gain the respect of his teammates would he ever consider this? 

I'm sure his agent wouldn't be happy but I don't think money is Josh Allen's primary driving focus. To be able to keep Milano, Williams, and even pay his friend Diggs?

I mean seriously, when is enough enough? Does it have to be 500 million? Isn't 350 million or 400 million enough to live comfortably for the rest of his life? Would the rest of the league, particularly the quarterbacks be critical of him for doing this? I'm just curious what everyone's take is? And if so, what would he be willing to accept? 

You should write him a letter and ask him. You will probably get the same response I get from women when I ask them out, which is a "No" or "maybe....I'll let you know" and then you won't hear from him again 

10 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Ahhhhhh yes, the ONE outlier ever. He also could because he wasn’t the bread winner in his own family! If you ever listen to the players, they NEVER want their teammates taking less money than what they can get. They want their teammates to get paid. Pay Josh what he is worth, don’t think that he’s going to take some sort of hometown discount because he seems like that kind of guy. I’m telling you if you short change your quarterback, guys know and guys don’t want to play for teams that are cheap 

I don't know if I entirety believe this. They say they want everyone to get paid, but they want to get paid too. There's only so much to go around. And I don't believe that other players wouldn't want to play here if Josh Allen willingly took less money in order to give more to his teammates. I think they would respect him more. It's not the team that's cheap. They're still paying to the salary cap, it's just one players decision to drop his overall cap percentage to the benefit of his teammates and friends. 

Allen isn’t going to have to take less. I think the Pegulas and the Bills braintrust WANT to let the world know they think they have the best QB in the world. I expect the Bills offer to Allen will be numbers to TOP Mahomes deal. Maybe not in years but in annual pay, perhaps even both.