ESPN Around the Horn. Tony Riali calls out anti-Buffalo bias

32 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Saying Lamar woulda came back once he got the wind at his back in the 4th..... Geez, have some dignity, Skip.... Also argued for mayfield over Allen during a whole other 10 min segment later in the show. Good lord, man. 

I can’t stand Shannon sharpe but he’s 100% correct when he says when Lamar is doing well he gets all the credit and the offense apparently can’t be stopped but the minute he got shut down everyone is calling for the coaches and managements heads. That was a theme on every network today. 

Ravens fans (and probably management) are grappling with this too before they give Lamar a big contract.  Can he improve with better WR's or in a more pass oriented system.....or is this the best version of him you're going to get in Roman's system.  Can you still develop him into a better passer?  I wouldn't want to be in management's shoes right now.

16 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

I'm w those who normally don't care about, or watch, these shows (not sure why I saw AtH today).

But this crap is ridiculous. Awful, lazy reporting as others allude.

Ref above quote, Isola said similar, but in even more bizarre fashion.

With literally the LJ concussion play rolling on screen, he said--I kid you not:

"Lamar looked like he was ready to take over the game...(sotto voce) well, after the 101 yard pick six."

WTF!!!!

Right! I try not to let it get to me too much and usually just chuckle at it but all I wanted to do today was get sat down in my Office with my coffee and listen to what all the morning shows had to say after last weeks predictions when they all decided the 13-3 team on a 7 game win streak was the underdog..... Literally every single show I turned to, other than GMFB, just tried explaining away the win and blaming the coaches and front office of the ravens for their style of play and the loss. Keep in mind this is the same team they said was unstoppable based on said style of play coming into this week. The real topic should be how big a blowout would it have been if our pass offense wasn’t dealing with the wind? The conditions were perfectly set up for a running squad and they got the beat down by 14. 

....Lesson learned. Just stick to GMFB. It’s always the most informed and even coverage there is. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Coastie said:

I think the concept is the guests are normally sports writers from major sports cities. Riali usually rips them for being homers with many of their takes. Not the best show, I wish Riali had a better vehicle.

What does he drive?  A Pinto?

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Right! I try not to let it get to me too much and usually just chuckle at it but all I wanted to do today was get sat down in my Office with my coffee and listen to what all the morning shows had to say after last weeks predictions when they all decided the 13-3 team on a 7 game win streak was the underdog..... Literally every single show I turned to, other than GMFB, just tried explaining away the win and blaming the coaches and front office of the ravens for their style of play and the loss. Keep in mind this is the same team they said was unstoppable based on said style of play coming into this week. 

....Lesson learned. Just stick to GMFB. It’s always the most informed and even coverage there is. 

And they have, ya know, She Whose Name Shall Not Be Spoken.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They have looked uncharacteristically tight on offense both games and the defense gave up nearly 500 yards to the Colts.

After a slow start against the Colts they scored on how many consecutive drives?  And against Baltimore they had one 3-and-out and Allen moved them into scoring position four times in less than 25 minutes of possession time.

Indy and Baltimore are good teams with good defenses.

This is yet another of your attempts to discredit McDermott by saying they were “tight.”  It’s simply not true.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

After a slow start against the Colts they scored on how many consecutive drives?  And against Baltimore they had one 3-and-out and Allen moved them into scoring position four times in less than 25 minutes of possession time.

Indy and Baltimore are good teams with good defenses.

This is yet another of your attempts to discredit McDermott by saying they were “tight.”  It’s simply not true.

I'm not discrediting anything but if you as a fan NEED the national media to take note of you then it starts with your team having at least ONE playoff game where you silence the doubters by playing great.    The Bills haven't played anywhere close to their best game yet.   

Otherwise if you need hype to appease you then they gotta' get to a Super Bowl at least.    Very few fans or general ESPN sports media types can remember who lost in the past 2-3 conference championship games off the top of their head......some not even the teams that lost last year.   

But thanks for letting me know about the highlighted.........when I said that Indy and Baltimore were really good and could both possibly have made it to the NFCCG if they were in that bracket I wasn't aware that it was in part because their defenses were good.:rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Ravens fans (and probably management) are grappling with this too before they give Lamar a big contract.  Can he improve with better WR's or in a more pass oriented system.....or is this the best version of him you're going to get in Roman's system.  Can you still develop him into a better passer?  I wouldn't want to be in management's shoes right now.

The problem for them is better WRs aren't coming anytime before they need to make a decision on Lamar's contract.  The FA WR market is weak this off-season and the top guys aren't going there.  Meanwhile they've been poor at drafting them.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Magox said:

The Bills just don’t get the respect that they deserve.  Will a KC win do it?  50/50.  Not until they win the Super Bowl.  That’s when they will get their damn respect.

There are still some people here that don't give them the respect they deserve.  What do you expect.

I think it’s that the national media is more biased towards a) big market teams or b) teams with a national following or teams with a QB with star potential.  We have a star at QB but certain people in the national media associates anything coming out of Buffalo as inferior because they still have this false underlying narrative of Buffalo as a dying rustbelt city.  You can tell that many of them haven’t watched one game.  They probably just watch highlights on youtube.  It’s almost as if they are afraid to talk about us. They treat us like nameless grey faces.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

The problem for them is better WRs aren't coming anytime before they need to make a decision on Lamar's contract.  The FA WR market is weak this off-season and the top guys aren't going there.  Meanwhile they've been poor at drafting them.

I could see them overspending for Smith Schuster or Marvin Jones but they need a true #1.  Do they break the bank for Robinson or give up too much in a trade for OBJ?  They almost have to in order to see if he's their qb for the next decade

• Agree 1

Idk if its anti bills bias or pro ravens/chiefs bias lol two weeks in a row were hearing 'well the ravens are going to win because they're the ravens' and 'the chiefs are going to win because they're the chiefs'  with nobody really digging too deep into the matchups. Could be the small market thing too as im sure the skip bayless' and Stephen a smiths of the world aren't watching too many bills games...when we've had decent weather games against good/average defenses we have absolutely crushed it but theyre gonna nitpick our last chiefs matchup and the Baltimore game last night and say we can't hang with the chiefs offense.  The chiefs get a free pass when they struggle because they are the chiefs lol

• Like (+1) 1

I also love how everyone keeps talking about Tucker's two missed kicks like they were the deciding factor, but make no mention of Bass' two missed kicks which evens the situation out. Media 🤡's

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Success said:

He's spot on. ALL of the coverage I've seen is "well, about Lamar...."    No credit for the Bills.

Awesome

We are going to get a heaping dose of Mahomes this and Kelce that.

Let them all overlook us!!!

More fuel for our 🔥.

• Thank you (+1) 1