The running game has to be there vs KC this week.

Toyo321

2 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

Agreed but you can't keep them from becoming blitz happy and tee-ing of on Josh, if we don't run more than what we have in this postseason.  It is a key weapon too to keep PH and their O on the sidelines.  Time of possession needs to be on our side in this game.

We want them to go Blitz happy and T off on Josh..no qb in the league has torched the Blitz like Allen this year

We moved the ball on Saturday with a balanced attack.  You have to at least offer the threat of the run.  That also opens up play action. I'd like to see Williams active in this game.  A bigger back that hits the hole with quickness.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

We want them to go Blitz happy and T off on Josh..no qb in the league has torched the Blitz like Allen this year

It only takes one bad hit on a blitz and Josh could be hurt, he is lucky he is 6'5 and 240lbs.  Look at all the QB's that took hits this weekend, LJ and PH.

Josh got crushed from behind on a corner blitz by the Ravens and he got up slow and was hurting when he went to the sidelines.

He finished the game but you can't put a huge red X on his shirt for the entire game.

The running game helps prevent that. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

We've had plenty of 5 or 6 minutes drives with almost nothing but short throws.  The game is move the ball and stop the other team from moving the ball.  

These are the drives I want to see 5-6 minutes drives that lead to TDs. This game is going to be a marathon not a sprint.

Last time I checked, things like screens or underneath passes to RBs are effectively runs.

its about

control the ball to use up clock

get TDs let them get FGs

get up 2 scores late forcing them out of a running game.

do not play prevent on mahomes. Play normal D.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Dabol’s methodology calls for attacking what he believes to be the weaknesses of the individual D the Bills face that week. Whether the Bills run, or not, will depend upon this philosophy.

It's going to be interesting what Daboll perceives as our best option

Week 6, we started out passing and struggled (I think in large part due to Allen's shoulder), then tried to run.  We were pretty ineffective at both - 27 passing attempts for 4.5 YPA and 84 rush attempts for 3.65 ypc.  Since that time, we've changed up the interior of our OL (both guards), Allen's shoulder seems to have healed and he's regained much of his earlier season improvements, and we've had some games where we ran pretty effectively.

Over the season as a whole, KC has a good but not great defense with bend-don't-break tendencies.  #10 on points, but #18 and #19 for NYA passing and YA rushing.

When people say that the Bills can't run, it's a bit misleading. 

The league average is 118.9 ypg on the ground, 4.4 ypa.  The Bills average is 108 ypg and 4.2 ypa, so below league average.  I haven't done the crunching for other teams, but I can tell you that those average numbers are deceptive for the Bills - a real "on average, the Duck is Dead" situation. 

We had 5 games where our YPG were above league average, and in 3 of them we were well above the average of the 5 best rushing teams in the league and above average ypa for most of them as well. There were 2 other games where our rush yard total was below league average, but our average YPA were well above league average - very efficient.

My best guess is that he'll believe we can pass on KC, but he'll want us to be able to do some clock-control offense and keep their offense off the field if we can.

4 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

Agreed but you can't keep them from becoming blitz happy and tee-ing of on Josh, if we don't run more than what we have in this postseason.  It is a key weapon too to keep PH and their O on the sidelines.  Time of possession needs to be on our side in this game.

While a legit run game would be amazing, I just don't think we have the tools.  That said, I think some quick slants, wr bubbles, and some McKenzie end arounds keep defenses from blitzing all game. 

Hell vs balt, we used the pass to setup the run lol. Cbs and safeties keep moving back off the line and all the sudden we hit on a few draw plays lol its only crazy if it doesn't work. Daboll schemed well last week, and I expect him to be better this week with HC interviews off the table.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

While a legit run game would be amazing, I just don't think we have the tools.

So your explanation for why we rushed for 190 yds (5 ypa) against the Patriots, 182 yds (7.6 ypa) against the Broncos, and 172 yds (5.7 ypa) against the Chargers would be....what?

Broncos have kind of a poor rush D - 29 in ypa - but NE and Chargers kind of mid-pack (20th for NE, 17th for the Chargers)

KC is 19th.

We probably legit don't have the tools against a really top-notch run defending DL.  Our OL is only OK at run blocking; a physical big DL that can get off blocks can shut us down; Singletary is not a "power" back.  I'm not sure KC is that top notch run defending DL?  I need to know more about who they were missing in different parts of the season and so forth - the details.

That said, I think some quick slants, wr bubbles, and some McKenzie end arounds keep defenses from blitzing all game. 

The thing that keeps teams from blitzing Josh Allen all game right now, is Josh Allen.  Even Baltimore backed the heck off from 46% blitz to 20% blitz, and as Chris Simms pointed out -  when they did blitz, Allen was 6 of 7 for 57 yds and a TD. (Baltimore did *simulate* pressure then drop different guys back into coverage more than that, I think)

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

You think they can set a dozen plays specifically for Devonta Freeman? A half dozen run plays, 3-4 Pass protect plays and maybe even 3-4 plays where he’s an option in the passing game?

Is Freeman even an option going forward or is it gonna be Yeldon? Or Williams? (Doubtful).....

A dozen? Lol nooooo. Im going with 3, maybe 4 tops.  If he shows something, he can earn snaps like everyone else. He has no chemistry or track record with this team

2 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

Playoff rushing yards every game this year by each team and the loser.

Indy  Buff Loser Indy
              163   96
              LA    Sea  Loser Seattle
              164   136
              Tampa Wash Loser Wash
              142   86
              Balt  Tenn Loser Tenn
              236   51 
              NO    Chic Loser Chicago
              123   48
              Clev  Pitt Loser Pitt
              127   52
              LA    GB   Loser LA
              96    188
              Balt  Buff Loser Balt
              150   32
              Clev  KC   Loser Clev
              112   123
              Bucs  NO   Loser NO
              127   104

Buffalo is the only team in any of the playoff rounds to lose the rushing game total in each game and win.
This a dangerous trend and this is skating on thin ice!!!

Out of context, sure. But how much of this was winning teams killin clock, and losing teams abandoning the run. Not being Jerky, just a consideration 

2 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Just for information.....

The idea you need to run the ball well to win VS KC...just doesn't bear itself out when you look at the stats.

KC has been outrushed 8 times this year.  KC won all 8

KC has lost TOP 8 times this year.  KC won all 8

Always appreciate your posts, but I think you're overshooting a bit here. Running the ball more/better for the Bills probably doesn't equal dominating on the ground and on the clock. What I'd hope the Bills try to do is simply maintain some shred of balance or at least threat of effective running, in order to either a) force KC's D (LBs and especially Mathieu) to take a couple steps forward from time to time to open up the zones or 2) actually convert a few first downs running the ball when the defense is absolutely daring them to do so. 

Difficult to sustain one-dimensional offensive success against NFL defensive coordinators. It's possible that we're seeing the new-ish book on defending the Bills offense, which is ironically the exact approach the Bills implemented against KC in week six: drop into deep zones with 7 or 8 defenders and dare them to beat you underneath and on the ground. It's been "working" so far in the playoffs, in that the Bills have been kept well below season averages with under 30 and under 20 points. I'd like to see Daboll/Allen adjust again and get back in a groove. That might mean running the ball more/better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Always appreciate your posts, but I think you're overshooting a bit here. Running the ball more/better for the Bills probably doesn't equal dominating on the ground and on the clock. What I'd hope the Bills try to do is simply maintain some shred of balance or at least threat of effective running, in order to either a) force KC's D (LBs and especially Mathieu) to take a couple steps forward from time to time to open up the zones or 2) actually convert a few first downs running the ball when the defense is absolutely daring them to do so. 

Difficult to sustain one-dimensional offensive success against NFL defensive coordinators. It's possible that we're seeing the new-ish book on defending the Bills offense, which is ironically the exact approach the Bills implemented against KC in week six: drop into deep zones with 7 or 8 defenders and dare them to beat you underneath and on the ground. It's been "working" so far in the playoffs, in that the Bills have been kept well below season averages with under 30 and under 20 points. I'd like to see Daboll/Allen adjust again and get back in a groove. That might mean running the ball more/better.

...I was about to add...and I've alluded to it in anotehr post aroudn here somehwere.....KC defends WR very well...RBs and TE's they don't....it's all a because KC's LB corps is well below average.  Their DB stable is DEEP.  KC is playing the strongest D it can field when it is in nickel and dime....and if you can't run or threaten with passes to the RB and TE....then KC is going to be in Nickel and Dime A LOT.  You wnat KC in base packages with 3LB on the field...it's by far our worst look on D.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Zerovoltz said:

...I was about to add...and I've alluded to it in anotehr post aroudn here somehwere.....KC defends WR very well...RBs and TE's they don't....it's all a because KC's LB corps is well below average.  Their DB stable is DEEP.  KC is playing the strongest D it can field when it is in nickel and dime....and if you can't run or threaten with passes to the RB and TE....then KC is going to be in Nickel and Dime A LOT.  You wnat KC in base packages with 3LB on the field...it's by far our worst look on D.

Thanks. That speaks to my point about effective running making Spagnuolo play the Bills a little more "straight up" (rather than our offense suddenly morphing into something it isn't and probably shouldn't want to be--a run-first attack). If the Honey Badger has to play up a bit, and he and the one or two LBs have to step forward post-snap or at least think about their run keys, that helps to open up lanes and holes in the zones. Might limit how creative Spags can be with his coverage combos and occasional pressure packages. Every little inch helps, hehe.

It’s funny everyone always says let’s make a team one dimensional but now it’s the bills only passing it with no run game it’s ok we’ll keep telling your self that. If you don’t think Andy Reid want come up with something to slow our pass down think again plus Allen and Mahomes are slimmer players so he knows a little about throwing the ball. We got to run the ball some to keep them from just keying in on the pass and I think it really hurt us not running on the ravens I really think we score more points. This is the playoffs teams are better i would just like to see Allen actually give it to a running back on one of those fake draws probably hit a big run because I promise the linebackers are dropping back every play not looking for the draw they watch tape to and see Allen never hands it off 

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

You hit on every point and I’m willing to bet Andy Reid is going to dare us to run. He knows a little about passing the ball I’m sure he has some insight on how to slow it down. 

5 hours ago, BITE ME said:

I disagree with needing to run if we get a lead.  If we get a lead keep passing and add to the lead.  I think the Bills are going to pass all over the Chiefs this weekend.  We are talking 400 plus yards.  

If winning means throw like crazy then sit Devin and let it fly.