The running game has to be there vs KC this week.

Toyo321

I kinda doubt much will happen in the run game. I remember in last years playoff game singletary lit up houston in the 1st half then they completely abandoned it the 2nd half. So who know. Though maybe the weather may force them run more than expected

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Field positioning doesn't matter to KC. 

Time of possession doesn't matter to KC. 

Down and distance doesn't matter to KC. 

3rd and manageable doesn't matter to KC. 

I think the only way to beat Kansas City is to win a shootout. Hope that it is a back and forth game and your team has the ball last. 

The Bills scored more points per game than KC. The only way for them to beat Buffalo, is a shootout.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Field positioning doesn't matter to KC. 

Time of possession doesn't matter to KC. 

Down and distance doesn't matter to KC. 

3rd and manageable doesn't matter to KC. 

I think the only way to beat Kansas City is to win a shootout. Hope that it is a back and forth game and your team has the ball last. 

100% agree but would add negative plays.

This will be like a college game. Very few penalties unless it is really obvious. The offense will have all the advantages.  Whichever team can hold the other to FG attempts instead of touchdowns in the red-zone will win.

On 1/18/2021 at 4:26 PM, Zerovoltz said:

Again, just info.....I think it will be a tough game.

I'd be interested in your breakdown of the Falcons game. That was really one that easily could of been an L for the Chiefs late in the game if the DB doesn't drop the pick in the end zone. It was more of a defensive game compared to the two Raider games. 

On 1/18/2021 at 5:25 PM, Frat-Train said:

I’d argue we’ve faced two better defenses than theirs so far and we didn’t need much of a run game.  Totally ok with staying the course.  

You look at things from a very narrow minded POV. Listen to someone who knows more than either of us, someone who has played , is an analyst for a living. For example listen to Chris sims and his father Phil. Both categorically said the Colts kicked the Bills ass all around the field and the Bills got fortunate, colts leaving 10 easy points on the field. 

The Colts were a  more balanced team and probably should have won. They outgunned us by almost 100 yards and won the TOP by just under 10 min. We won 27-24. It’s great we found a way to win, but KC is much more balanced. We didn’t fear the deep ball with rivers; against Lamar we only had to stop the run. Two games where our defense could focus on taking away the run , and we still came close to Rivers beating us only losing on a failed Hail Mary.  Our O struggled against the Ravens putting up 10 points!  If our O only puts up 10 points this week, I am sure we will be in trouble. 

Kc can run , their qb can scramble, they have a great tight end and they have deep speed with Mahomes able to hit anyone at any place in the field.   Both Sims stated the Browns offense AT THIS POINT, is more dynamic than Buffalos offense. Hard to argue as they have two good running backs , a good tight end, Landry , Higgins and more. Buffalo has diggs,,,,brown is improving , Beasley is hurt( even sims pointed out he ran the same route almost 100%), Davis possibly hurt , moss out, Knox is still Knox and inconsistent, devin is an avg back and they just use him as a safety valve and maybe 1-2 screen attempts a game. Even with a good running game, Kc still out gained the Browns by over 100 yards and Kc managed a 22-17 win. HOWEVER, The browns run game kept Kc off the field. Do you know what the TOP DIFFERENTIAL WAS?  Look it up. It was under ONE MINUTE.!  Kc just over 30 min and cleveland just over 29 min. There was no 10 min DEFICIT TOP LIke WE Had IN THE COLTS GAME !   

So make fun or belittle the poster suggesting not having a run game MAY BECOME AN ISSUE. FACT; Our passing game has struggled the past two weeks. It might be because we have injuries, or it might be because we are so one dimensional that it is getting easier to defend our passing game.  One thing running does do is chew up clock and help limit KC’s possessions. Right NOW , our passing game alone is struggling,,,10 points last week. I hope our passing game finds its prime again.  I hope our short passing game is on because I am pretty sure Kc will take away the deep gsme like they did against us before. Some semblance of a running game could  be huge for us., including Allen running. If we can get close to 100 yards I think it will keep the TOP close enough so we limit their opportunities to score and increase our opportunities.  If we are so one dimensional that we lose the TOP by ten min like we did against the Colts , I am pretty sure lightning won’t strike twice with us squeaking out a 3 point win.  
I get your argument , well we still won. Well, every week and every game is different.Let’s try to be objective, look a little more in depth. I sure can’t see any negative if we can run the ball, but I do see a potential problem if we only pass the ball. The remaining teams are balanced.   I hope we can be that anomaly that wins only passing. I just think our chances improve with being able to run as well. 😉

On 1/18/2021 at 5:17 PM, Toyo321 said:

I don't know how they need to get it done but the running game needs to be on point for this weeks AFCCG vs KC.

They need to have some kind of running attack to keep KC from playing us one dimensionally on D .

Be it Motor, TJ or even Williams.  Something has to be done on the ground this week to beat these guys.

If we don't run the ball this week it could be as far as we go this year.  The weather could be a issue with rain predicted for 

the game so that is why it's even more important to get yards on the ground this week.

Counterpoint: Nope 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, DrPJax said:

You look at things from a very narrow minded POV. Listen to someone who knows more than either of us, someone who has played , is an analyst for a living. For example listen to Chris sims and his father Phil. Both categorically said the Colts kicked the Bills ass all around the field and the Bills got fortunate, colts leaving 10 easy points on the field. 

The Colts were a  more balanced team and probably should have won. They outgunned us by almost 100 yards and won the TOP by just under 10 min. We won 27-24. It’s great we found a way to win, but KC is much more balanced. We didn’t fear the deep ball with rivers; against Lamar we only had to stop the run. Two games where our defense could focus on taking away the run , and we still came close to Rivers beating us only losing on a failed Hail Mary.  Our O struggled against the Ravens putting up 10 points!  If our O only puts up 10 points this week, I am sure we will be in trouble. 

Kc can run , their qb can scramble, they have a great tight end and they have deep speed with Mahomes able to hit anyone at any place in the field.   Both Sims stated the Browns offense AT THIS POINT, is more dynamic than Buffalos offense. Hard to argue as they have two good running backs , a good tight end, Landry , Higgins and more. Buffalo has diggs,,,,brown is improving , Beasley is hurt( even sims pointed out he ran the same route almost 100%), Davis possibly hurt , moss out, Knox is still Knox and inconsistent, devin is an avg back and they just use him as a safety valve and maybe 1-2 screen attempts a game. Even with a good running game, Kc still out gained the Browns by over 100 yards and Kc managed a 22-17 win. HOWEVER, The browns run game kept Kc off the field. Do you know what the TOP DIFFERENTIAL WAS?  Look it up. It was under ONE MINUTE.!  Kc just over 30 min and cleveland just over 29 min. There was no 10 min DEFICIT TOP LIke WE Had IN THE COLTS GAME !   

So make fun or belittle the poster suggesting not having a run game MAY BECOME AN ISSUE. FACT; Our passing game has struggled the past two weeks. It might be because we have injuries, or it might be because we are so one dimensional that it is getting easier to defend our passing game.  One thing running does do is chew up clock and help limit KC’s possessions. Right NOW , our passing game alone is struggling,,,10 points last week. I hope our passing game finds its prime again.  I hope our short passing game is on because I am pretty sure Kc will take away the deep gsme like they did against us before. Some semblance of a running game could  be huge for us., including Allen running. If we can get close to 100 yards I think it will keep the TOP close enough so we limit their opportunities to score and increase our opportunities.  If we are so one dimensional that we lose the TOP by ten min like we did against the Colts , I am pretty sure lightning won’t strike twice with us squeaking out a 3 point win.  
I get your argument , well we still won. Well, every week and every game is different.Let’s try to be objective, look a little more in depth. I sure can’t see any negative if we can run the ball, but I do see a potential problem if we only pass the ball. The remaining teams are balanced.   I hope we can be that anomaly that wins only passing. I just think our chances improve with being able to run as well. 😉

Whoa....

I’m sorry you took my simply saying “I’d argue we’ve faced two better defenses than theirs so far and we didn’t need much of a run game.  Totally ok with staying the course.  “ as anything remotely insulting, belittling or a narrow-minded point of you.  I don’t know how you were able to conclude that my having a different opinion bordered on disrespect or narrow-mindedness, (especially since it’s been echoed largely by many of the posters that followed my post, and professionals who have shared these same thoughts), but hey...  No worries.  I made it through the storm of 2020!  I can make it through the confusion of your statement and why it singled out my brief, yet very respectfully written point of contention...

• Like (+1) 1

Great breakdown of the film from the week 6 game. I have no doubt Daboll is going to run it and no doubt the Bills will be better against their run game this time. Chiefs 31st in run DVOA. They are going to sell out in the pass game. Chiefs never ran against more than a 6 man box in that game. Sometimes 5.

https://theathletic.com/2329129/2021/01/21/bills-chiefs-afc-title-game/?source=user_shared_article

Edited by YoloinOhio

28 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Unless the weather is horrid it actually doesn't. Against Mahomes and KC you need to put up points. If you don't score 30 you aren't going to win. 

The Bills actually average more than 30 and the Chiefs avg less than 30... they need to kick it up a bit to win 

On 1/21/2021 at 8:41 AM, Frat-Train said:

Whoa....

I’m sorry you took my simply saying “I’d argue we’ve faced two better defenses than theirs so far and we didn’t need much of a run game.  Totally ok with staying the course.  “ as anything remotely insulting, belittling or a narrow-minded point of you.  I don’t know how you were able to conclude that my having a different opinion bordered on disrespect or narrow-mindedness, (especially since it’s been echoed largely by many of the posters that followed my post, and professionals who have shared these same thoughts), but hey...  No worries.  I made it through the storm of 2020!  I can make it through the confusion of your statement and why it singled out my brief, yet very respectfully written point of contention...

I truly apologize and didn’t mean to single you out in any mean spirited way.  I was up late and probably grumpy from not sleeping well as I just have an uneasy feeling about this game. I agree there have Been many posts similar to your POV.   So in no way did I intend to just attack or go after you on any personal basis.   I just was reading so many posts saying how we have won the past two games so why worry or change anything and many are saying we will easily beat the Chiefs.  Not many professional , less biased analysts, are giving us much of a hope of even keeping this game close. Fans tend to look thru rose colored glasses, a win is a win thing.  I was just tying to point out the Colts Best us in Top by. 10 min , and had zero turnovers , left 10 points out there , and we held on by knocking down a Hail Mary.  Maybe not a great game plan to look at and say, hey it’s ok, we won!  😊

I don’t think we can be something we are not, we are not a run oriented team. But maybe we better try to get something out of the run game ( we could afford to be one dimensional against another one dimensional Ravens team who was unlikely to blow us out) so we don’t allow mahomes an extra 10 min TOP, cuz I think that is a way we can be blown out.  So if it takes Allen runnin more, maybe bringing up Williams , heck brining up Stills or Duke to throw bubble screens or short crossing routes to, we need to game plan better/ differently than the prior two games.  We need to somehow extend drives to decrease how many opportunities the chiefs have to score. They have more weapons than we do, period. Going to be a tough game to win that I think comes down to coaching adjustments.  Please accept my apology , should have made it just a topic and not quoted you because you are right and that was not fair. 😊. This game is making me edgy ! Lol ! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/20/2021 at 2:25 PM, motorj said:

I kinda doubt much will happen in the run game. I remember in last years playoff game singletary lit up houston in the 1st half then they completely abandoned it the 2nd half. So who know. Though maybe the weather may force them run more than expected

We haven't had a consistent running attack all year. Andy knows this. Moss is out and frankly Devin is relatively mediocre as a RB2. I'm not holding my breathe on Yeldon doing anything. And they don't trust Williams yet. So basically it's probably going to be Devin 7-9 carries and Josh will do everything else.  It's too late to resurrect any run game. That will be for next year (maybe?).....

• Agree 1

LA, agreed.  We’re not going to change everything for one game, and we’re not going to play keep away from Mahomes.  That’s like a prevent defense.  It doesn’t work.

Consider the defenses we beat this year.  The Rams #1, Steelers #3, 49ers #5, Ravens #7, Colts #8, Chargers #10, and the only loss is to the Cardinals #13 (and was a fluke as we drive down to win, but that crazy Hail Mary).  We are #14, and the Chiefs are #16.

We've scored more points on offense than the Chiefs and had a stronger SOS than the Chiefs faced this year.  From the data point, we should be favored, but it’s the Chiefs.  They were going to be favored no matter what as the SB Champs.

If any team can beat them it’s us.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

LA, agreed.  We’re not going to change everything for one game, and we’re not going to play keep away from Mahomes.  That’s like a prevent defense.  It doesn’t work.

Consider the defenses we beat this year.  The Rams #1, Steelers #3, 49ers #5, Ravens #7, Colts #8, Chargers #10, and the only loss is to the Cardinals #13 (and was a fluke as we drive down to win, but that crazy Hail Mary).  We are #14, and the Chiefs are #16.

We've scored more points on offense than the Chiefs and had a stronger SOS than the Chiefs faced this year.  From the data point, we should be favored, but it’s the Chiefs.  They were going to be favored no matter what as the SB Champs.

If any team can beat them it’s us.

I contend we are going to play somewhat keep away from Mahomes/KC.   And this is because that looks like what KC will be giving up.  I think the underneath and swing passes will be open, the lesser priority, of the KC defense.   If this plays out as I am expecting Josh needs to have the patience to take the 6-7 yards at a pop until KC respects and adjusts.

It's not really changing everything as much as it is having Josh opt for the high percentage 7 yard pickup when the defense is schemed to try and take away the deeper stuff.

• Like (+1) 1