The running game has to be there vs KC this week.

Toyo321

7 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

This is not a good take. We have had one of the best passing offenses all year and a fairly week run game. We have won 15 games by doing it this way. 

I think Daboll is going to stay with a heavy pass slant and he should, but I do think mixing in runs intermittently (6-8 times) can be productive. 

Just avoid trying sweeps to the edge. Learn from the Browns, the Chiefs shutdown everything is from the edges, and just hit it up the middle. 

And if the Bills haven't learned anything else, hopefully they stop trying to run on 3rd-1 because it never works. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Again...where does this notion come from?

Bottom line, I'm not saying we have a great or even a good run game, but it's shown flashes and it's been at least competent since the bye.  Data:

The league average for YPG is 118.9 YPG. 

The Bills have 5 games where our rush yardage exceeds this average

The average of the 5 highest-rush-yard teams is 159.6 ypg - so being able to rush for >159 ypg is excellent

The Bills have 3 games where we exceeded 160 ypg.

The league average in ypa is 4.4.  The Bills average is 4.2, which puts them 19th in the league (or slightly worse than average).  The Bills had 6 games where we exceeded this average YPA.  Two of them had lower than average rush yardage, showing good efficiency.

The 5 best rush teams in the league have an average of 5 ypa.  The Bills had 3 games which met or exceeded that - the same 3 games which exceeded 159 ypg - showing that the result was not simply the effect of rushing more, we were also rushing efficiently.   

One last "fast fact" about the run game - since the Bye week when we said we were going to focus on improving the run and pretty much settled into our current OL, our regular-season run game is averaging 120 ypg and 4.5 ypa (both above league average) while our # attempts per game has stayed at 26 - showing we did achieve some improvement. 

Unfortunately, losing Zach Moss may not help us sustain that.

What way is that?

A predominantly pass first offense and a sound bend but don't break defense...Did you really just ask that? Lol

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Mostly because the chiefs dominated our running backs last game when we played them earlier combined with the fact that we lost Zack Moss....combined with my lack of confidence in our OL as run blockers. 

after listening to Daboll presser yesterday, the way he answered a question regarding our run game vs the chiefs (I forget the specifics) just didn’t trigger positive vibes. 

that’s why I feel that way.  I hope I’m wrong

They did dominate our run game...it's not just the RBs though, they weren't getting good blocking.  FWIW, KC dominated our pass game too, in case that slipped your notice.

Keep in mind our OL that game was Dawkins-Ford-Morse-Winters-Williams, and Ford was playing hurt.  I believe results have demonstrated that Dawkins-Boettger-Morse-Feliciano-Williams may be an upgrade.

I'd like to know what you see as the specifics that "just didn't trigger positive vibes", because I didn't get any "bad run game" vibes off Daboll's presser - just that he didn't feel running was a great strategy against Baltimore given how they shut down Tennessee's run game, but run game will be a factor this week.

4 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

A predominantly pass first offense and a sound bend but don't break defense...Did you really just ask that? Lol

Yes, I did ask that.  My point is that when Daboll thought we needed to, in 3 games this year, we conjured up an elite run game.  In some games we've been "bombs away" at passing.  In others it's been all short stuff underneath to Beasley or sometimes Diggs.  Last Saturday, we won with insufficient offense and somehow conjured up an elite shutdown D.

We've shown all sorts of strategies to win this year.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They did dominate our run game...it's not just the RBs though, they weren't getting good blocking.

Keep in mind our OL that game was Dawkins-Ford-Morse-Winters-Williams, and Ford was playing hurt

I believe results have demonstrated that Dawkins-Boettger-Morse-Feliciano-Williams may be an upgrade

I'd like to know what you see as the specifics that "just didn't trigger positive vibes", because I didn't get any "bad run game" vibes off Daboll's presser - just that he didn't feel running was a great strategy against Baltimore given how they shut down Tennessee's run game, but run game will be a factor this week.

I hear ya regarding the new OL. It’s definitely been better than they were last time we played.

I couldn’t tell you the specifics.  I can’t rewatch it right now, but I recall his general lack on enthusiasm regarding using the run game.  I just remember feeling like he didn’t want to say that he we’d be running more than we did.  Maybe that was just my distorted perception.

15 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think Daboll is going to stay with a heavy pass slant and he should, but I do think mixing in runs intermittently (6-8 times) can be productive. 

Just avoid trying sweeps to the edge. Learn from the Browns, the Chiefs shutdown everything is from the edges, and just hit it up the middle.

We don't run well up the middle, and Moss was better than Motor there

15 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

And if the Bills haven't learned anything else, hopefully they stop trying to run on 3rd-1 because it never works. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2020_splits.htm

I would activate Williams he brings a different element to the running game that Singletary doesn't have. I know this coaching staff prefers to stick with veterans but it should be all hands on deck at this point. I find it hard to believe you can be so one dimensional and beat the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Lately the worst outcome for the Bills is gaining 8 yards on 1st down and then thinking "No way we can't get a first down running the ball from here".....

this team should never run the ball 3 times in a row.  i'm all for sprinkling in some run here and there...but three runs in a row...no way.  

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Toyo321 said:

We don't need to change the offense, we need to make it better.  If the weather is crap for this game with wind and rain, this will be actually worse than the Ravens game where it was just strong winds.  Josh missed some throws badly against Ravens that he should have made and we had receivers that could not make some key grabs.  Running will make us a bigger threat to KC and to just abandon the run completely stupid IMO.  Andy Reid is brilliant at exploiting opposition weakness and capitalizing on it, you can't play into his hands and mindset.  You have to keep him and KC guessing.  When we lost to KC this year we got killed in time of possession and also on the ground by KC's running game.  They ran the ball really well.  We need to do the same to them this time around.  I truly hope our D has a lights out game this week.  

agree but early forecast shows light winds...unfortunately losing Moss is big...I don't think they trust any of the RBs behind Singletary

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They did dominate our run game...it's not just the RBs though, they weren't getting good blocking.  FWIW, KC dominated our pass game too, in case that slipped your notice.

Keep in mind our OL that game was Dawkins-Ford-Morse-Winters-Williams, and Ford was playing hurt.  I believe results have demonstrated that Dawkins-Boettger-Morse-Feliciano-Williams may be an upgrade.

Yes, I did ask that.  My point is that when Daboll thought we needed to, in 3 games this year, we conjured up an elite run game.  In some games we've been "bombs away" at passing.  In others it's been all short stuff underneath to Beasley or sometimes Diggs.  Last Saturday, we won with insufficient offense and somehow conjured up an elite shutdown D.

We've shown all sorts of strategies to win this year.

I'm hoping our offense returns to its robust form. 

How many times have fans said this throughout the season? So far it hasn't been true. The Bills got to the AFC Championship game without a run game. They can win the superbowl without a run game.

Eventually, yes. They will need to address it. But its not going to happen this year. The Bills are who they are by this point.

Josh is the best player we have on offense. We are living or dying by him this Sunday.  The 2020 Bills are riding his arm and legs to make plays.  There’s only going to be sprinkles of a running game this weekend. I think the Bills plan on needing 30 points to win this thing, and they aren’t going to do that with hand offs to RBs.

On 1/18/2021 at 5:25 PM, Frat-Train said:

I’d argue we’ve faced two better defenses than theirs so far and we didn’t need much of a run game.  Totally ok with staying the course.  

Our offense scored 10 points at home last game.  We will need triple that on Sunday.

Staying the course scares me a little.

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

Our offense scored 10 points at home last game.  We will need triple that on Sunday.

We ran out the ball an entire quarter and missed 6 points of field goals and gabe Davis dropped a wide open td against a very talented defense in bad weather...saying our offense scored 10 points doesnt really tell the story.  Its like criticizing the chiefs for only scoring 3 in the second half against the browns last week

5 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

I think that was way more because of the wind which impacted the deep passes and kicking game.  

On 1/18/2021 at 2:17 PM, Toyo321 said:

I don't know how they need to get it done but the running game needs to be on point for this weeks AFCCG vs KC.

They need to have some kind of running attack to keep KC from playing us one dimensionally on D .

Be it Motor, TJ or even Williams.  Something has to be done on the ground this week to beat these guys.

If we don't run the ball this week it could be as far as we go this year.  The weather could be a issue with rain predicted for 

the game so that is why it's even more important to get yards on the ground this week.

We only managed 10 points offensively last week, largely due in part  to our 90% pass to run play calling. I have a hard time believing we can succeed that way against KC especially with Mahomes likely playing. It seems like people think we had offensive success last week.

16 minutes ago, Steve Evans said:

We only managed 10 points offensively last week, largely due in part  to our 90% pass to run play calling. I have a hard time believing we can succeed that way against KC especially with Mahomes likely playing. It seems like people think we had offensive success last week.

The Bills scored their only real drive the second half.  Up 14 they were careful and made no mistakes.  

Add two missed FG's and a dropped TD pass (would have been a very good catch but was there.

The wind too affected the pass game significantly.  

Yes offense needs to be better.

On 1/18/2021 at 9:40 PM, djp14150 said:

Last time I checked, things like screens or underneath passes to RBs are effectively runs.

its about

control the ball to use up clock

get TDs let them get FGs

get up 2 scores late forcing them out of a running game.

do not play prevent on mahomes. Play normal D.

Field positioning doesn't matter to KC. 

Time of possession doesn't matter to KC. 

Down and distance doesn't matter to KC. 

3rd and manageable doesn't matter to KC. 

I think the only way to beat Kansas City is to win a shootout. Hope that it is a back and forth game and your team has the ball last. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Field positioning doesn't matter to KC. 

Time of possession doesn't matter to KC. 

Down and distance doesn't matter to KC. 

3rd and manageable doesn't matter to KC. 

I think the only way to beat Kansas City is to win a shootout. Hope that it is a back and forth game and your team has the ball last. 

YEP!  They go into every game assuming they are going to get their 30+ points.  It may not always happen, but that's the plan.

If you want to beat them, you better get your 30+ points too.

The most important piece to this game is Josh Allen and an offense that has never gotten on song in the 2 playoff games so far.

If that continues, we'll lose.

57 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

YEP!  They go into every game assuming they are going to get their 30+ points.  It may not always happen, but that's the plan.

If you want to beat them, you better get your 30+ points too.

The most important piece to this game is Josh Allen and an offense that has never gotten on song in the 2 playoff games so far.

If that continues, we'll lose.

I just hope McDermott doesn’t force Daboll to overcorrect on the run to where we try to get too conservative because he mentioned being way too unbalanced Saturday night.