The running game has to be there vs KC this week.

Toyo321

Some think to beat KC you have to control the clock

Others feel you should out score them and play clean football

Some also think it needs to be a balance

With this team we control Time of Possession with a little run and lots of pass. Look how much Baltimore ran? and they got 10 minutes of time over us that last game.

KC way more balanced then Baltimore so if they get 4 minutes on us that's not a lot.

KC has a solid defense but no where near Baltimore D and right where Indy in points allowed BUT KC offense helps take pressure off that defense with points for.

The only way we stick with any kind of run game is if within the first 3-4 runs we show we can gash them.. if not expect 10-12 runs from our running back 5-6 from our QB and rest we going to air it out with them. Our offense is high power enough to hang with them and our defense is warming up.

8 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

A dozen? Lol nooooo. Im going with 3, maybe 4 

I’m talking plays he’s familiar with in the playbook.... not how many touches he gets.

12-14 plays in the book he can pick up or fits his style best. Doesn’t mean he actually gets on the field. It’s just familiarization..... So you only want him to know 3 plays. Here Devonta, here’s the only 3 plays you need to know. Is that what you mean?

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I’m talking plays he’s familiar with in the playbook.... not how many touches he gets.

12-14 plays in the book he can pick up or fits his style best. Doesn’t mean he actually gets on the field. It’s just familiarization..... So you only want him to know 3 plays. Here Devonta, here’s the only 3 plays you need to know. Is that what you mean?

Was def thinking touches lol but yeah, id think a few slow developing run plays to use his vision would be ideal. Few counters, draws, and a few delayed routes where he sneaks into a soft spot of a zone after looking like he's in for pass protection. He's slowed down but I think he could help bring something to the table with these

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

Playoff rushing yards every game this year by each team and the loser.

Indy  Buff Loser Indy
              163   96
              LA    Sea  Loser Seattle
              164   136
              Tampa Wash Loser Wash
              142   86
              Balt  Tenn Loser Tenn
              236   51 
              NO    Chic Loser Chicago
              123   48
              Clev  Pitt Loser Pitt
              127   52
              LA    GB   Loser LA
              96    188
              Balt  Buff Loser Balt
              150   32
              Clev  KC   Loser Clev
              112   123
              Bucs  NO   Loser NO
              127   104

Buffalo is the only team in any of the playoff rounds to lose the rushing game total in each game and win.
This a dangerous trend and this is skating on thin ice!!!

I agree and everyone talks about going toe to toe with KC but KC runs the ball well that sets up those big plays. And I was screaming at my tv when we didn’t run at all playing the ravens 

1 minute ago, Billever76 said:

We must play the way that got us here period imo

The good news is that "what got us here" keeps changing from game to game.

We have not been hitting on a successful formula over and over again, waiting for someone to find a way to stop it.

It speaks to the strength of the team overall as a unit.

I personally view almost all run plays as a waste of a down, so I'm happy to see them throw.  Now and again a running play makes sense and is the better choice.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

I don't know how they need to get it done but the running game needs to be on point for this weeks AFCCG vs KC.

They need to have some kind of running attack to keep KC from playing us one dimensionally on D .

Be it Motor, TJ or even Williams.  Something has to be done on the ground this week to beat these guys.

If we don't run the ball this week it could be as far as we go this year.  The weather could be a issue with rain predicted for 

the game so that is why it's even more important to get yards on the ground this week.

you can throw the ball when it's raining. Why change the offense now?  We will throw and mix in a run or 2

15 hours ago, NewEra said:

Would be nice if we could get it going. I wouldn’t count on it being very effective though 

Again...where does this notion come from?

Bottom line, I'm not saying we have a great or even a good run game, but it's shown flashes and it's been at least competent since the bye.  Data:

The league average for YPG is 118.9 YPG. 

The Bills have 5 games where our rush yardage exceeds this average

The average of the 5 highest-rush-yard teams is 159.6 ypg - so being able to rush for >159 ypg is excellent

The Bills have 3 games where we exceeded 160 ypg.

The league average in ypa is 4.4.  The Bills average is 4.2, which puts them 19th in the league (or slightly worse than average).  The Bills had 6 games where we exceeded this average YPA.  Two of them had lower than average rush yardage, showing good efficiency.

The 5 best rush teams in the league have an average of 5 ypa.  The Bills had 3 games which met or exceeded that - the same 3 games which exceeded 159 ypg - showing that the result was not simply the effect of rushing more, we were also rushing efficiently.   

One last "fast fact" about the run game - since the Bye week when we said we were going to focus on improving the run and pretty much settled into our current OL, our regular-season run game is averaging 120 ypg and 4.5 ypa (both above league average) while our # attempts per game has stayed at 26 - showing we did achieve some improvement. 

Unfortunately, losing Zach Moss may not help us sustain that.

11 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

We must play the way that got us here period imo

What way is that?

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Again...where does this notion come from?

Bottom line, I'm not saying we have a great or even a good run game, but it's shown flashes and it's been at least competent since the bye.  Data:

The league average for YPG is 118.9 YPG. 

The Bills have 5 games where our rush yardage exceeds this average

The average of the 5 highest-rush-yard teams is 159.6 ypg - so being able to rush for >159 ypg is excellent

The Bills have 3 games where we exceeded 160 ypg.

The league average in ypa is 4.4.  The Bills average is 4.2, which puts them 19th in the league (or slightly worse than average).  The Bills had 6 games where we exceeded this average YPA.  Two of them had lower than average rush yardage, showing good efficiency.

The 5 best rush teams in the league have an average of 5 ypa.  The Bills had 3 games which met or exceeded that - the same 3 games which exceeded 159 ypg - showing that the result was not simply the effect of rushing more, we were also rushing efficiently.   

One last "fast fact" about the run game - since the Bye week when we said we were going to focus on improving the run and pretty much settled into our current OL, our regular-season run game is averaging 120 ypg and 4.5 ypa (both above league average) while our # attempts per game has stayed at 26 - showing we did achieve some improvement. 

Unfortunately, losing Zach Moss may not help us sustain that.

What way is that?

Mostly because the chiefs dominated our running backs last game when we played them earlier combined with the fact that we lost Zack Moss....combined with my lack of confidence in our OL as run blockers. 

after listening to Daboll presser yesterday, the way he answered a question regarding our run game vs the chiefs (I forget the specifics) just didn’t trigger positive vibes. 

that’s why I feel that way.  I hope I’m wrong

21 hours ago, Frat-Train said:

I’d argue we’ve faced two better defenses than theirs so far and we didn’t need much of a run game.  Totally ok with staying the course.  

21 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

It totally doesn't.

This right here.

The only thing that "has to" happen is the Bills win. However they get there doesnt matter. All passes, zero passes, 3 special teams TDs... doesnt matter. There are no style points. Just win.

• Thank you (+1) 1

You play to your strengths plain & simple.  Pass, pass, pass....   Maybe a scramble or two also.  

Throw in a screens and tosses to the Isaiah here & there too.

If you look at the earlier game, they were thrown off there game, because of KC's running.Throw in not great weather too...

1 hour ago, nucci said:

you can throw the ball when it's raining. Why change the offense now?  We will throw and mix in a run or 2

We don't need to change the offense, we need to make it better.  If the weather is crap for this game with wind and rain, this will be actually worse than the Ravens game where it was just strong winds.  Josh missed some throws badly against Ravens that he should have made and we had receivers that could not make some key grabs.  Running will make us a bigger threat to KC and to just abandon the run completely stupid IMO.  Andy Reid is brilliant at exploiting opposition weakness and capitalizing on it, you can't play into his hands and mindset.  You have to keep him and KC guessing.  When we lost to KC this year we got killed in time of possession and also on the ground by KC's running game.  They ran the ball really well.  We need to do the same to them this time around.  I truly hope our D has a lights out game this week.  

Edited by Toyo321

17 minutes ago, teef said:

i'm of the group that doesn't feel a strong need for the run game, but it would be nice that a 2nd or 3rd and 1 situation wasn't stopped at the line seemingly every single time.  

Lately the worst outcome for the Bills is gaining 8 yards on 1st down and then thinking "No way we can't get a first down running the ball from here".....

• Like (+1) 1

Zach Moss was not much of a loss. 

I've thought all along that Singletary was a better running back. 

Similar to what we saw pregame with the Chiefs and Browns, that Chubb and Hunt are good, and the Chiefs are average stopping the run, so the Browns must run it, I think the same thing applies now, where it's being said that Bills can't run the ball. 

Singletary is fine and I do think he needs 6-8 carries in this game, along with a couple of touches in the pass game. But I would expect this gameplan to still be overwhelmingly pass heavy and think it should stay that way. 

The Bills are best in 4-wide and 5-wide. 

34 minutes ago, teef said:

i'm of the group that doesn't feel a strong need for the run game, but it would be nice that a 2nd or 3rd and 1 situation wasn't stopped at the line seemingly every single time.  

Agree, we get no push and lose yards everytime, especially when we try to stretch to the outside. 

3rd-1 is a passing down for the Bills. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

I don't know how they need to get it done but the running game needs to be on point for this weeks AFCCG vs KC.

They need to have some kind of running attack to keep KC from playing us one dimensionally on D .

Be it Motor, TJ or even Williams.  Something has to be done on the ground this week to beat these guys.

If we don't run the ball this week it could be as far as we go this year.  The weather could be a issue with rain predicted for 

the game so that is why it's even more important to get yards on the ground this week.

This is not a good take. We have had one of the best passing offenses all year and a fairly week run game. We have won 15 games by doing it this way. 

There are only so many offensive snaps in one game.  If passing the ball gives them a better chance to get a 1st down, score a TD, convert a 3rd down, or control the ball with the lead, then so be it. 

Ground and pound when two of your active RB’s will be a guy who the coaches have refused to use for two years now, and some UDFA who had his 5 seconds of fame in week 17?  Thanks but no thanks.