Chris Simms: I've never seen the Ravens D show that much respect to a QB

RobbRiddick

4 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean to be fair we'd just given up a bunch of rushing yards in the Colts game and were now going up against probably the top rushing team in the league.

To be fairer - we respected the Colt passing game. Ravens, not so much - and with good reason.

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Did he happen to mention that he picked the Ravens to win the game?

I hope so. I have mentioned to him on twitter that he is a new entrant on the list of analysts we hate. I am up to 2,037 people on that list since I started keeping count.

Why can't they all just come on every week and say "The Bills are awesome and everyone else sucks" godammit? 

I need to take my pitch fork in for sharpening before the weekend predictions start.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, teef said:

when he learns to unbutton the top button of that shirt, he'll have my attention.  not until then.

The shirt that just came out of the bag with the obvious folding pattern wrinkles? I LOVE that he’s too lazy to iron a shirt😂

Also, the cleaning lady was missing from this breakdown which really ruined it for me personally 😒

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Well whatever the Ravens did it kinda worked. Bills only scored 10 offensive points.  Both clubs missed FGs and had some bad overthrows.  Obviously the wind was playing defense too. 

The Ravens brought the wind?

4 hours ago, Process said:

It's not Josh Allen. This offense has absolutely ZERO threat of a run game. Defenses can play us in a way they can't play any other team in the league. Sit back and go all out on taking away the deep stuff, knowing we can't do **** on the ground. 

Beane has some work to do this off-season. I am always against RBs in round 1, but we should just do it if that's what it takes. 

What Allen has been able to do this year is ridiculous. It's why anyone that tries to compare guys like Tannehill and Mayfield to him can't be taken seriously.

Can't wait to see what he does next year when hopefully we have the run game fixed. 

They have to give time for Moss to develop.  It is not that our RBs are bad....Our run blocking has been spotty.  play calling  for running has been spotty

37 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Just think if Beasley, Brown, and Davis were 100% for this game?  Still need to get a stud tight end, or Knox needs to up his game. Josh was doing most of this with Diggs, and everyone else was nicked up.

I think Knox was  a constant threat yesterday in the passing game.  The Ravens paid a lot of attention to him

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I hope so. I have mentioned to him on twitter that he is a new entrant on the list of analysts we hate. I am up to 2,037 people on that list since I started keeping count.

Why can't they all just come on every week and say "The Bills are awesome and everyone else sucks" godammit? 

I need to take my pitch fork in for sharpening before the weekend predictions start.

I love Simms and he admitted it upfront. I suggest actually watching it! (Or maybe I’m missing some sarcasm ...)

Edited by dave mcbride

5 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Did he happen to mention that he picked the Ravens to win the game?

True but it's refreshing to see a national media figure actually did deeper into the game and not just give a surface level reaction.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The issue most analysts have is that they cannot put the Bills in any kind of box. This team really finds different ways to win. The D morphs into whatever it needs to, in order to take away the other teams strength (easy to say, difficult to do) and the O also doesnt have an ego and does what is needed. Having said that, its Allen and Diggs that really keep the other team honest.

I have said it and will say it again - the Bills are winning like Belichick and Brady used to win: play disciplined football, minimize mistakes on O, dont lose your composure or cool in the most tense times (Colts and Ravens games), let the other team make key in-game mistakes and play the tough teams close. When Taron Johnson intercepted Jackson, the thought that came to mind (after I had screamed non stop for 5 minutes) is - hey that reminds me of Butler's interception of Wilson in Superbowl 49.

Much as I think the Bills will lose to the Chiefs, I wont be surprised if the game is really close or if the Bills sneakily pull it off at the very end.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Great review of the game. He also says Allen is like Mahomes in that he has come to enjoy the blitz being thrown at him because he knows how to punish it now. "That's about as conservative I've seen the Ravens play on the defensive side of the ball EVER".

The section I'm quoting starts at 14 minutes

Simms is a fun follow

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Well whatever the Ravens did it kinda worked. Bills only scored 10 offensive points.  Both clubs missed FGs and had some bad overthrows.  Obviously the wind was playing defense too. 

Another Monday, another Chris Simms Said Something About Josh Allen thread.

At least this time he's right about Allen. But it is true that the Ravens held the Bills to 10 offensive points and 220 total offensive yards. So the positive spin is "don't blitz Allen or he'll kill you," but the negative spin is the Ravens found a way to contain him.

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Another Monday, another Chris Simms Said Something About Josh Allen thread.

At least this time he's right about Allen. But it is true that the Ravens held the Bills to 10 offensive points and 220 total offensive yards. So the positive spin is "don't blitz Allen or he'll kill you," but the negative spin is the Ravens found a way to contain him.

No, they didn't.  The wind did.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I'm sorry man, but I couldn't disagree more.  We have a top 5 offense, with a crazy effective passing attack.  But we should draft an RB in Round 1 so we can "fix" the running game?  And maybe have an 18th ranked offense so we can play Jauron-ball?  SMH

Running backs can be involved in the passing game too. We had a great screen set up against Baltimore but Singletary slipped. When he doesn't slip it takes him too long to get going so the defense catches up to him. I just don't see it with him. Drafting a RB in the 1st when you still need a QB or a #1 WR is dumb, but if you're drafting at the end of the 1st and you just need that finishing touch on your offense it's not a bad pick at all. As long as they can catch and accelerate.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Dude, as impressed as we all are with the dynamic passing attack the Bills have you'd have to be pretty naive to think they'll be any sustainable success in the future if they don't establish a competent run game soon.

Doesn't have to be elite, just competent. 

Exactly this. The problem with our rush offense is defenses are giving it zero respect and they're being proven right. When we played the Chiefs we did what teams are doing to us, we backed off into deep zones and begged the Chiefs to run the ball. The difference is they were able to do it successfully to the tune of 245 yards. Imagine if they had our run offense in that game. We would have completely shut them down. Defenses are giving us numbers in the box where even a mediocre rush attack should be able to gash them and we're scraping together 2 yards at a time. Our short yardage runs must be bottom of the league. Just an average rush game next year takes our offense to another level.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Running backs can be involved in the passing game too. We had a great screen set up against Baltimore but Singletary slipped. When he doesn't slip it takes him too long to get going so the defense catches up to him. I just don't see it with him. Drafting a RB in the 1st when you still need a QB or a #1 WR is dumb, but if you're drafting at the end of the 1st and you just need that finishing touch on your offense it's not a bad pick at all. As long as they can catch and accelerate.

Late 1st round RB is such a a mismanagement of resources.

6 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean to be fair we'd just given up a bunch of rushing yards in the Colts game and were now going up against probably the top rushing team in the league.

That is just people looking at stats instead of watching the game. Lazy analysis. The Colts averaged under 3 YPC thru 3 quarters when the Bills focused on the run.  When the Bills went up 14 in the 4th and went back to their normal 2 high safety shell because they thought the Colts would just throw the ball, then the Colts busted off 3 long runs against them which greatly skewed the average making it look like the Colts were effective running all day when they were only really effective on 2 drives in the 4the quarter and were completely bottled up prior to that.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Late 1st round RB is such a a mismanagement of resources.

Take away the late and I'd agree. I think pick 25 and later is exactly when the RB value becomes worth it. Not that I'm begging the Bills to draft one there but if they like an RB at that spot it would be a valuable upgrade. They still have to draft the right player though. Edwards-Helaire has been a disappointment IMO. The Chiefs mistake wasn't drafting a RB at the end of the 1st, it was picking a middling player (so far). But even a middling player can pick up yards when the defense is dropping into deep zones. As of right now the Bills can't even do that.