Chris Simms: I've never seen the Ravens D show that much respect to a QB

RobbRiddick

38 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Great review of the game. He also says Allen is like Mahomes in that he has come to enjoy the blitz being thrown at him because he knows how to punish it now. "That's about as conservative I've seen the Ravens play on the defensive side of the ball EVER".

The section I'm quoting starts at 14 minutes

He’s making up for praising Josh and picking the Ravens 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Good listen and great points. It is really interesting to see how the Ravens dropped into coverage and didn't blitz much.

That's the next level for Josh Allen. Knowing how to dissect zone coverage and take the checkdown when needed. Developing that quick pass game. He is already proficient, but he could be better.

For some reason the offense has gotten away from pre-snap movement. I hope we get back to that in this next game. Maybe Daboll has been saving some stuff for KC.

It's not Josh Allen. This offense has absolutely ZERO threat of a run game. Defenses can play us in a way they can't play any other team in the league. Sit back and go all out on taking away the deep stuff, knowing we can't do **** on the ground. 

Beane has some work to do this off-season. I am always against RBs in round 1, but we should just do it if that's what it takes. 

What Allen has been able to do this year is ridiculous. It's why anyone that tries to compare guys like Tannehill and Mayfield to him can't be taken seriously.

Can't wait to see what he does next year when hopefully we have the run game fixed. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Process said:

It's not Josh Allen. This offense has absolutely ZERO threat of a run game. Defenses can play us in a way they can't play any other team in the league. Sit back and go all out on taking away the deep stuff, knowing we can't do **** on the ground. 

Beane has some work to do this off-season. I am always against RBs in round 1, but we should just do it if that's what it takes. 

What Allen has been able to do this year is ridiculous. It's why anyone that tries to compare guys like Tannehill and Mayfield to him can't be taken seriously.

Can't wait to see what he does next year when hopefully we have the run game fixed. 

I agree that Allen is awesome and a run game would help for sure, but we saw Brady compete at a high level without a decent run game for many years. They used short passes and screens as an extension of the run game.

So either way. Get ridiculously good at dissecting zone and the short pass game, or get a good run game. But part of me wants Allen to struggle through it and figure it out because he always does. Then he will be unstoppable, and at THAT time we can invest in the run game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Process said:

I'm sorry man, but I couldn't disagree more.  We have a top 5 offense, with a crazy effective passing attack.  But we should draft an RB in Round 1 so we can "fix" the running game?  And maybe have an 18th ranked offense so we can play Jauron-ball?  SMH

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I'm sorry man, but I couldn't disagree more.  We have a top 5 offense, with a crazy effective passing attack.  But we should draft an RB in Round 1 so we can "fix" the running game?  And maybe have an 18th ranked offense so we can play Jauron-ball?  SMH

🤣 🤣

Great stat! Ravens blitzed an NFL high 46% first 17 games of the season. Only 20% against the Bills on Sunday. And when they did Josh went 6/7 for 57 yards and a TD. 

Even without a run game you just can't rattle Josh. Best pass blocking O line in the league.

24 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Dude, as impressed as we all are with the dynamic passing attack the Bills have you'd have to be pretty naive to think they'll be any sustainable success in the future if they don't establish a competent run game soon. Honestly I'm surprised they've gotten this far. What Allen, Diggs and the offense have done this season is nothing short of remarkable. This is similar to what Baltimore did last year before they got figured out this year.  Catch everyone by surprise with unconventional offense. I wouldn't expect the same results next year without a good rush attack. Doesn't have to be elite, just competent. 

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, MJS said:

I agree that Allen is awesome and a run game would help for sure, but we saw Brady compete at a high level without a decent run game for many years. They used short passes and screens as an extension of the run game.

So either way. Get ridiculously good at dissecting zone and the short pass game, or get a good run game. But part of me wants Allen to struggle through it and figure it out because he always does. Then he will be unstoppable, and at THAT time we can invest in the run game.

Couldn't agree more.  I have no specific proof but I'm sure that during the abbreviated camp a conscious decision was made to go all in on passing.

When next camp/preseason comes the running game will be heavily addressed.  That takes time and it starts with blocking schemes.

They just didn't have time to do both well and this Front Office seems methodical in what it chooses to put its efforts into.

Yeldon and Jones will be gone and they will be replaced.  I think Moss/Singletary/TBD (not a high draft pick) along with the O line

effort in run blocking will see a big improvement in rushing.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, billsbackto81 said:

Dude, as impressed as we all are with the dynamic passing attack the Bills have you'd have to be pretty naive to think they'll be any sustainable success in the future if they don't establish a competent run game soon. Honestly I'm surprised they've gotten this far. What Allen, Diggs and the offense have done this season is nothing short of remarkable. This is similar to what Baltimore did last year before they got figured out this year.  Catch everyone by surprise with unconventional offense. I wouldn't expect the same results next year without a good rush attack. Doesn't have to elite, just competent. 

Sorry man - disagree with you too.  Everyone's been trying to key in our passing game all year and few have slowed it down, much less stopped it.  There's little reason to go away from our obvious strength, especially with the way that rules are these days.  

Let next year work itself out.  I'm concentrating on winning on Sunday.  And the best way to do that is let Josh sling the rock all over the frigging field

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Process said:

6 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Dude, as impressed as we all are with the dynamic passing attack the Bills have you'd have to be pretty naive to think they'll be any sustainable success in the future if they don't establish a competent run game soon. Honestly I'm surprised they've gotten this far. What Allen, Diggs and the offense have done this season is nothing short of remarkable. This is similar to what Baltimore did last year before they got figured out this year.  Catch everyone by surprise with unconventional offense. I wouldn't expect the same results next year without a good rush attack. Doesn't have to be elite, just competent. 

Our running backs have averaged 4.8 ypc over the last 8 games. The worst part of our run game is how little we use it even when it makes sense to.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

I just dont see what the point is in running straight into the best rushing defense in the league and putting yourself in 2nd or 3rd and longs just because that's how other teams play especially when your passing game is so varied and difficult to defend 

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

Rubbish.  The Chiefs used their first round pick on Edwards-Helaire last year.  It added a whole new element to their offense and they’ve struggled since he went out with an injury.  I’m generally no fan of first round RBs, but I think the Bills are in a perfect position to draft one in the first in the upcoming draft, especially if they have a shot at a speed back like Etienne who can catch the ball out of the backfield.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Rubbish.  The Chiefs used their first round pick on Edwards-Helaire last year.  It added a whole new element to their offense and they’ve struggled since he went out with an injury.  I’m generally no fan of first round RBs, but I think the Bills are in a perfect position to draft one in the first in the upcoming draft, especially if they have a shot at a speed back like Etienne who can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Well if we are playing them without their best rb, why 🤬bother.  To beat the best you have to beat the best.