Mahomes passed all tests last night, appears to be pinched nerve, not a concussion

Albany,n.y.

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There is no specific length, as I understand it. He could have gone through all 5 stages already for all we know. We will see what the injury report says tomorrow. 

What a big steps, does he know his name is he on planet earth 🌏 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Sorry don’t agree. It would be rather simple to prove negligence with this injury being rushed. Reid as much as said in the past he likely would have gone back in. This nerve issue potentially could be worse than a concussion. I for one hope he plays. But no as money hungry and arrogant at times the NFL is, I can’t buy it. 

Foget the NFL.  If you as a medical professional clear someone who should not be what is their personal legal liability?  Could they lose theor license to practice?

Would youbtake the risk if your decision?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Nextmanup said:

I didn't think he could practice in the protocol

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Does anyone have clarity on the actual length of each step?  Are players able to go from step 1 to step 3 in a day or do they have to go through each step per day without any adverse side-effects before they move onto the next step?

How long is Patrick Mahomes out?

There is no set timetable for a player's return from the NFL's concussion protocol, at least in terms of number of days. Mahomes' return to practice and game action will depend on how quickly he moves through the five steps of the league's protocol.

According to The Athletic, the median time for the 29 quarterbacks who suffered a concussion between 2015-2019 to return was seven days. But that's just the central length among the sampling of 29, which includes both longer and shorter absences.

It's also important to note that concussion recovery doesn't necessarily follow the same line for each individual. Just because Reid said Sunday that Mahomes was "feeling good," and just because Mahomes tweeted a couple times after the game, doesn't specifically point to how fast he may get back from his concussion.

Mahomes has had one recorded concussion in his college/NFL career, which came in 2014 while he played quarterback for Texas Tech. He didn't return to the game he was injured in, and the Red Raiders had a bye the next week. When Texas Tech played again 14 days after the injury, Mahomes was back.

The process for Mahomes getting through the NFL's concussion protocol starts with a concussion evaluation Monday, the day after the injury. From there, he'll have to pass each of the five steps of protocol and be cleared by both the Chiefs medical staff and an independent neurologist before he can play. 

24 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Didnt Kelly get concussed pretty famously in SB27?

Edit: Looks like it was SB26. Doesnt remember 4th quarter. Even went to the wrong hotel after the game! wow

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/concussed-jim-kelly-went-back-to-wrong-hotel-after-super-bowl-xxvi-210746612.html

Ol' Jimmy Boy was probably just hammered

• Haha (+1) 1

By the looks of it, he could be doing walkthroughs on Thursday (Stage 4), and cleared for full practices on Friday, assuming things keep going the way they are.

I think we should be practising on the assumption he will play - even though we might pay lip service to thinking we could face either QB.

• Like (+1) 1

FWIW a friend of mine was over for a while yesterday and we watched both the Lamar Jackson and Mahome's collisions. He's a doctor who regularly treats concussions. The gist was that both were concussions but Jackson's was the more common where the brain bounces off the occipital and bangs the front of the skull whereas Mahomes was a temporal concussion where the brain shake was side to side. He said Mahomes inability to get up was consistent and that the symptoms for the two different impact injuries are also to some degree unique.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/18/2021 at 12:52 PM, 4_kidd_4 said:

Highly dubious.

But hey, to be THE man, you gotta beat THE man, WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

While true in professional wrestling, boxing, and MMA, not so much in the NFL. To be the best in the NFL, you need to win a Super Bowl, against whatever team they field against you (injury or otherwise), under whatever circumstances the universe provides (strike year, pandemic, etc).

I dont care if they start Mahomes grandma. I hope Hughes ends her career on our way to a Lombardi trophy and won't ever feel bad about it.

It all counts as a Super Bowl win, and in a matter of weeks, no one will care or remember the details other than SUPER BOWL CHAMPS.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

https://www.radio.com/wgr550/sports/bills/cowherd-nfl-should-delay-afc-title-game-for-mahomes

"We want Mahomes against Josh Allen, right?" Cowherd said. "That's reasonable. And I'm sitting here this morning thinking, 'If I'm the NFL, Patrick Mahomes is going through protocol. I find the day Patrick Mahomes can play -- and that's when we play.'

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1