Mahomes passed all tests last night, appears to be pinched nerve, not a concussion

Albany,n.y.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

🙃

Like as an actual idea it's stupid not going to happen, but I can't disagree with the idea that Chiefs with Mahomes vs. Bills with Allen in decent conditions isn't the game we all deserve after putting up with this ***** year.

You have to hand it to KC.  They've played this one better than the Patriots would have.

How do you guarantee that Mahomes can get rushed through the concussion protocol?  By claiming he has a tweaked nerve, never had a concussion, and therefore need not be subject to the rules of the protocol in the first place.

It's a great scheme.

The weird part is Mahomes STILL seems to be in the protocol, which I don't fully understand.  This entire story has been horribly reported.

I have read that he was placed in the protocol during the game on Sunday b/c he was clearly dizzy, and that symptom alone required him to be placed in the protocol.  OK, that makes sense.  But then why is he still in the protocol  several days later if the official story is he has a nerve issue, but never had a concussion?  And yet he's still in the protocol.  

What's the end game here?  He'll play on Sunday.  I'd be shocked if he doesn't.  

I also think he clearly DID sustain a concussion and is susceptible to another one in our game on Sunday.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Would the league put him in jeopardy for ratings? Or possibly a major lawsuit from him if he gets even more injured for playing when he shouldn't have? There's a reason they put these protocol in place for both their and the player's protection. Fact is if he doesn't pass them he isn't playing Sunday, simple as that. No player how good they are is above the league as we saw with Brady getting suspended. 

Is this a serious question? Yes. Exactly what has the NFL done to assure you that it has player safety paramount?

The fact that there are games during a global pandemic slightly shades that. They actively fought to suppress concussion research studies. They played defense against paying for retired players healthcare. I could go on. 

I may be wrong, but I think you meant that the NFL wouldn’t overtly rubber stamp him to clear him to play. And I agree. They wouldn’t publicly do that. But if they really cared so much, they wouldn’t allow him, or any other concussed player to have to option to play. The concussion protocol is their legal protection and plausible deniability. “It’s not our fault he hurt himself. He completed the protocol, team doctors cleared him, and he WANTED to play.” Thoughts and prayers and no refunds. 

4 hours ago, benderbender said:

Is this a serious question? Yes. Exactly what has the NFL done to assure you that it has player safety paramount?

The fact that there are games during a global pandemic slightly shades that. They actively fought to suppress concussion research studies. They played defense against paying for retired players healthcare. I could go on. 

I may be wrong, but I think you meant that the NFL wouldn’t overtly rubber stamp him to clear him to play. And I agree. They wouldn’t publicly do that. But if they really cared so much, they wouldn’t allow him, or any other concussed player to have to option to play. The concussion protocol is their legal protection and plausible deniability. “It’s not our fault he hurt himself. He completed the protocol, team doctors cleared him, and he WANTED to play.” Thoughts and prayers and no refunds. 

That's why I'd hope that the independent doctor who is supposed to confirm what team's doctors say prevents the NFL from letting this happens, yet am sure some get easy passes because they look the other way but with way Mahomes looked after that hit I'd hope for his sake they don't and to a degree the league's sake. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

Sorry don’t agree. It would be rather simple to prove negligence with this injury being rushed. Reid as much as said in the past he likely would have gone back in. This nerve issue potentially could be worse than a concussion. I for one hope he plays. But no as money hungry and arrogant at times the NFL is, I can’t buy it. 

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You have to hand it to KC.  They've played this one better than the Patriots would have.

How do you guarantee that Mahomes can get rushed through the concussion protocol?  By claiming he has a tweaked nerve, never had a concussion, and therefore need not be subject to the rules of the protocol in the first place.

It's a great scheme.

The weird part is Mahomes STILL seems to be in the protocol, which I don't fully understand.  This entire story has been horribly reported.

I have read that he was placed in the protocol during the game on Sunday b/c he was clearly dizzy, and that symptom alone required him to be placed in the protocol.  OK, that makes sense.  But then why is he still in the protocol  several days later if the official story is he has a nerve issue, but never had a concussion?  And yet he's still in the protocol.  

What's the end game here?  He'll play on Sunday.  I'd be shocked if he doesn't.  

I also think he clearly DID sustain a concussion and is susceptible to another one in our game on Sunday.

It's pretty straightforward.  Once in the protocol, you follow the protocol.  The protocol has multiple steps.  Even if he is not believed to have a concussion, they will follow the steps until he is cleared to play.  There's no such thing as "opps, protocol was an accident", that would circumvent the entire point.

You go into the protocol in any case where it is deemed likely that a concussion was suffered, even it not diagnosed with a concussion.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/18/2021 at 12:46 PM, BringBackFergy said:

Alex Smith had a really bad sprain a few years ago. 

Yeah. Just like he did, put some ice on it and get back out there!

Chiefs can say what they want, it must be outside doctors having the final say... I hope for the players

My only exception would be the Superbowl. Wasn't that Elleman that had a concussion and later couldn't even remember the game? Only time it is worth it.

24 minutes ago, benderbender said:

The fact that there are games during a global pandemic slightly shades that. They actively fought to suppress concussion research studies.

Even a full season where no one had anything bad happening from the "virus" beside from Tim Sweeny (and such heart issues do happen from many viruses) and maybe a few IDK about, you STILL say stuff like that? Sky didn't fall. They were prudent because they had to for many reasons but athletes were not at risk. Playing football is way more dangerous.

I think the NFL "cares" now about concussion related issue, because they don't want another lawsuit. Not because they are so benevolent. But stop with the virus already. What more evidence is needed?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

Look at all the attention it has gotten him...by now I'm surprised that people haven't realized that saying stupidly outlandish things that are well beyond insane is what many attention getters who refer to themselves as media do.. How does it hurt him? Your attention is just as good as someone who thinks he said something brilliant with incredible insight

.. and every time someone has a meltdown at some comment someone made then jumps off the toilet mid-poop to rush to post it to a message board then they have a huge win because that attention is turned into dollars. 

I guess. I don't ever click on his stuff or watch him so I just happened to find out about this non sense on here today. As to how it could hurt him.....well speaking for myself, when reading /hearing or coming across really off the wall ignorant statements like this I would think one would lose some credibility(imo he doesn't have any regardless),or maybe make some ppl no longer be interested.

That's just me, but your'e right. It's so many out there that either believe, get a kick out of and like his nonsense, and those that get frustrated with it and that in which gets him clicks/views. But damn, Iv'e accidentally come across quite a few silly/stupid remarks by him but this one here really sticks out.

1 hour ago, st pete gogolak said:

Does anyone remember Troy Aikman’s mediocre performance against us in Super Bowl XXVIII?  Pretty sure he was concussed in the NFC Championship Game.   No concussion protocols back then.  Point is, even if Mahones plays, concussion could impact his game on Sunday.  Oh sorry, his “pinched nerve.”

You made me look that one up: 19-27, 207 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, 77.2 QB rating. So yeah, not great.

But then again, are we sure Jim Kelly didn't take a shot to the head in the conference final?  31-50, 260 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, 67.1

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

You made me look that one up: 19-27, 207 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, 77.2 QB rating. So yeah, not great.

But then again, are we sure Jim Kelly didn't take a shot to the head in the conference final?  31-50, 260 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, 67.1

Didnt Kelly get concussed pretty famously in SB27?

Edit: Looks like it was SB26. Doesnt remember 4th quarter. Even went to the wrong hotel after the game! wow

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/concussed-jim-kelly-went-back-to-wrong-hotel-after-super-bowl-xxvi-210746612.html

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Does anyone have clarity on the actual length of each step?  Are players able to go from step 1 to step 3 in a day or do they have to go through each step per day without any adverse side-effects before they move onto the next step?

I have asked the same thing. I think you can go through multiple steps in a day. Which I honestly don't understand. Rule of thumb at the Olympic Training Center for (non head) injuries was always check back 48 hours after adding activity. So say I broke my rib (I did), and feel good enough to add running. The best gauge for soreness was day 2 not the next day. 

So why in hell any player (Josh included) can scramble their eggs and on Sunday, and go through a rest, aerobic work, and balance drills, 3 different steps, in a single day is absolutely wild. It doesn't make any sense. The league is literally helping to kill these guys. It is pretty infuriating. 

5 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

He’s on the 💩 list this week 

Mommy speaking up 😆 

Uh oh, I sense another Colin Cowherd Said Something About, Or That Might Affect, The Bills thread coming in 3 ... 2 .... 1 ....

Seriously, I know Cowherd desperately wants people to pay attention to him, but this might be the dumbest take ever. What is the standard for delaying a game to allow an injured player to return? Do we get to delay if Cole Beasley's knee doesn't respond as well as expected?

• Eyeroll 1

32 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Does anyone have clarity on the actual length of each step?  Are players able to go from step 1 to step 3 in a day or do they have to go through each step per day without any adverse side-effects before they move onto the next step?

There is no specific length, as I understand it. He could have gone through all 5 stages already for all we know. We will see what the injury report says tomorrow. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Didnt Kelly get concussed pretty famously in SB27?

Edit: Looks like it was SB26. Doesnt remember 4th quarter. Even went to the wrong hotel after the game! wow

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/concussed-jim-kelly-went-back-to-wrong-hotel-after-super-bowl-xxvi-210746612.html

Those final 3 Super Bowls just blur together in my memory. I suppose that's a good thing.

I'll never forget the sting of that first one ...