Mahomes passed all tests last night, appears to be pinched nerve, not a concussion

Albany,n.y.

20 hours ago, bigduke6 said:

ive heard Mahomes basically got choked out.   looks like concussion when he gets up but its just lack of blood to the brain for a short time.

i fully expect him to be the QB for the game.

his toe tho is another matter.

That is all a lie put out by KC, with zero science to back it. They are grasping at straws so they dont seem so negligent when he plays on Sunday. But it absolutely was a concussion, and definitely not being choked out or pinched nerve that gave him those symptoms.

He may have a pinched nerve in his neck as well. But that isnt what knocked him for a loop.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dukestreetking said:

Not a Dr/Not a Dr... but I assume Mr Mahomes will be well acquainted w Mr Toradal. And perhaps some other Messrs.

I just can't imagine it working, maybe after I see him roll out to the right and hit Kelce 20 yards down the field without flinching all while having Jerry Hughes barreling in on him I'll believe it.  For now I don't think it will work and he's going to be subpar.    I'm a bigger believer in him being un-phased after a concussion than I am in him being un-phased after a pinched nerve.

Edited by driddles

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Hopefully the Bills can get pressure on him and hit him as much as possible. He most likely won't be 100 percent for this game. If the Bills hit him often maybe he doesn't finish the game.

Yep, gotta beat the hell out of him.... should’ve done it in the first game.

47 minutes ago, driddles said:

I just can't imagine it working, maybe after I see him roll out to the right and hit Kelce 20 yards down the field without flinching all while having Jerry Hughes barreling in on him I'll believe it.  For now I don't think it will work and he's going to be subpar.    I'm a bigger believer in him being un-phased after a concussion than I am in him being un-phased after a pinched nerve.

Fair point; could be right. Kinetic chain maybe too messed up??

But creative, incentivized folks--we called them "Voodoo Docs"--can do some pretty amazing things (Yes, price is paid on back end).**

Ex: injured (not wounded) on a UH-60. Debilitating symptoms. Couldn't safely operate M4, etc. Declared non-operational by base Dr.

Went to see the "VDs". Several injections (1-2 Toradal, others don't recall). Oral painkillers. Good to go w/n, I think, a wk or so.

But that's out in "the wild". Not sure if it quite applies here.

And remember kids: narcotics and firearms may constitute a safety hazard! So be careful out there.

**Example obviously doesn't apply if PH has a "real" concussion.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not a doctor so I’ll defer if others are speculating with more detail, but you can look like a concussion of you have one of you’re carotid and jugular temporarily pinched off.  I used to work doing carotid stents for some of the best interventional rads, Neuro interventional rads, and so on.  It’s impossible to tell from the video.

it could’ve been a concussion, possibly a nerve, or what is reported.  The chiefs can’t hide anything as it’s an independent Neuro who evals the concussion from their off season e v a l. What he is at now.  I don’t know and even Dr. Chao, the guy on NFLR says he doesn’t know for sure (prior Chargers team doc and who many interview on these things).

if it was a nerve or blood flow cut off temporarily, he would be much better now rather than a concussion.  I called one of my buddies I used to support his INR cases (the brain docs who do strokes and things like this issue).  The doc said if it was a nerve or blood flow loss, it would definitely be temporary and if you didn’t have an obstruction on the other carotid, the other would just compensate.

Hey if a concussion, that Neuro has to clear him and his license is in play.  Does it really matter?  I want to beat the Chiefs with him playing.  No BS, we didn’t belong in the SB.  We were the better team, and I think we are the better team.  We’ll find out Sunday night.

17 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That is all a lie put out by KC, with zero science to back it. They are grasping at straws so they dont seem so negligent when he plays on Sunday. But it absolutely was a concussion, and definitely not being choked out or pinched nerve that gave him those symptoms.

He may have a pinched nerve in his neck as well. But that isnt what knocked him for a loop.

thats fine,  entitled to your opinion,  but thats all it is,  an opinion.   no science to back up your theory either.   you have as much info as i do.  none.

the only thing we have is the footage,  and at no point does his head make any type of serious impact.

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

thats fine,  entitled to your opinion,  but thats all it is,  an opinion.   no science to back up your theory either.   you have as much info as i do.  none.

the only thing we have is the footage,  and at no point does his head make any type of serious impact.

Agreed, but the head doesn't need to make impact to cause a concussion.

A concussion is caused, basically, by your brain impacting the inside of your skull. All it takes is a sudden stop/change of motion. People get them in car accidents all the time, even though their head didn't impact anything.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

No, its not a theory. Numerous medical professionals have chimed in on this all over the net, plus its obvious to anyone with basic knowledge of concussions and sleeper holds. The symptoms he exhibited that everyone saw are indicative of a Traumatic Brain Injury, not a sleeper hold or "pinched nerve". There is also no such nerve that gets pinched and knocks you out and/or makes your legs wobbly. This is medical science and facts.

I wasnt trying to crap on your post or what you had to say. My point is directed at the Chiefs for lying in order to skirt the issue.

The dude gets slammed onto the top of his head. It was a concussion. There could also be pinched nerves and a neck injury, but there was definitely a concussion.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No, its not a theory. Numerous medical professionals have chimed in on this all over the net, plus its obvious to anyone with basic knowledge of concussions and sleeper holds. The symptoms he exhibited that everyone saw are indicative of a Traumatic Brain Injury, not a sleeper hold or "pinched nerve". There is also no such nerve that gets pinched and knocks you out and/or makes your legs wobbly. This is medical science and facts.

I wasnt trying to crap on your post or what you had to say. My point is directed at the Chiefs for lying in order to skirt the issue.

The dude gets slammed onto the top of his head. It was a concussion. There could also be pinched nerves and a neck injury, but there was definitely a concussion.

I agree with your post, I wonder how the Bills would have handled this same situation. It’s a tough call for everyone involved. I hope he gets to play and there is no further damage.Same as I would if it had been Allen.

Even as competitive as fans get they shouldn’t blur the lines that “knocking”

him out of this game would be a good thing. It wouldn’t. The more scrutiny the league and teams get the harder it is for these guys to clear and play. 

I hope we beat him and he is shaking hands after it’s all over. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

I agree with your post, I wonder how the Bills would have handled this same situation. It’s a tough call for everyone involved. I hope he gets to play and there is no further damage.Same as I would if it had been Allen.

Even as competitive as fans get they shouldn’t blur the lines that “knocking”

him out of this game would be a good thing. It wouldn’t. The more scrutiny the league and teams get the harder it is for these guys to clear and play. 

I hope we beat him and he is shaking hands after it’s all over. 

I am pretty sure the Bills would be handling it the very opposite of what the chiefs are doing. They seem to be great about medical and health issues.  You wouldn’t see McD spitballing about how it was “wind knocked out of him” too. 

Someone mentioned dosing him with toradol or some other pain killer before the game.  Those tend to slow down your reaction times, ? could that affect his time from snap to release? Even a couple of tenths of a second slower can mean the difference between getting hit as he throws and a clean pocket.

Just saw an interesting stat: since Mahomes has been in the NFL, the Chiefs have only lost 9 times, including playoff games, and not once by double digits. Would be a great time to give him that first double digit L.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Again we are watching a scam take place before our eyes. If this were during the regular season there is no way he plays the following week. 

Allen got knocked out of the Patriots game his second season with a concussion and was practicing by Wednesday a couple days later and he played the next game.

Mahomes is in the concussion protocol. People can say whatever they want about the injury, but it is a fact that he is in the protocol. And it appears he is in stage 4. He will have to be cleared by an independent neurologist. And if he plays, that means he was cleared. And there are countless examples of players who played the next week after a concussion.

On 1/19/2021 at 8:34 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's my understanding 1 step per day because part of the protocol is to see if there's a delayed reaction to each step eg if you do a heavy aerobic workout do you have have symptoms that evening or wake up with symptoms?

If he practiced Wednesday he was in stage 4 already. If it's one per day that means he had to pass stage 1 on Sunday and be on stage 2 already by Monday. I'm not sure how it works, but that does seem plausible.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Allen got knocked out of the Patriots game his second season with a concussion and was practicing by Wednesday a couple days later and he played the next game.

Mahomes is in the concussion protocol. People can say whatever they want about the injury, but it is a fact that he is in the protocol. And it appears he is in stage 4. He will have to be cleared by an independent neurologist. And if he plays, that means he was cleared. And there are countless examples of players who played the next week after a concussion.

Allen didn't have trouble standing and needed help like PM either though.

Just now, Patrick_Duffy said:

Allen didn't have trouble standing and needed help like PM either though.

I'm not sure that matters, though. It comes down to getting back to your baseline stats. And Allen is a tough SOB.