Mahomes passed all tests last night, appears to be pinched nerve, not a concussion

Albany,n.y.

1 hour ago, Figster said:

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=15491771#post15491771

Poster from Chiefs forum who tried to chime in here on TBD

Are we avoiding posters from with an IP from out West? (Anyone who can answer the question) wondering minds want to know

So Mahomes got hit with a can Neck Pinch? 

The "brachial stun" theory is BS.  For starters, in a "brachial stun," the person gets knocked-out cold.  Mahomes didn't.  Second of all, it takes a severe blow to the carotid sinus area, not just brief pressure.  Pressure to the carotid sinus is used to try and break episodes of supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) but patients never pass out from it or even exhibit wobbly legs.

2 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

A month ago this guy was the biggest supporter we had in the national media. Now it seems like he may be off his meds. He said yesterday we were the worst team left in the playoffs 

He's a bandwagoning moron.  He's the kid in school who started following the championship winning teams the first year he started watching sports and then changed teams later-on to the next champion.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Thought this article spelled out pretty clearly:

1) doesn't matter if Mahomes had a concussion or not, he's in the league's concussion protocol

2) that means he has to undergo the steps laid out in the article and clear each one (per independent neurologist) before is cleared

I believe each step requires time and re-testing so it's effectively one step per day

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30736432/patrick-mahomes-nfl-concussion-protocol-needs-happen-chiefs-star-play-bills

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Does anyone have clarity on the actual length of each step?  Are players able to go from step 1 to step 3 in a day or do they have to go through each step per day without any adverse side-effects before they move onto the next step?

It's my understanding 1 step per day because part of the protocol is to see if there's a delayed reaction to each step eg if you do a heavy aerobic workout do you have have symptoms that evening or wake up with symptoms?

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's my understanding 1 step per day because part of the protocol is to see if there's a delayed reaction to each step eg if you do a heavy aerobic workout do you have have symptoms that evening or wake up with symptoms?

I've been trying to find the answer to this question all week.  This story continues to be *horribly* reported.

I do not think progression through the stages is as regimented as 1 per day.  I think it could move faster, in theory.

It sounded all week like KC wanted to get Mahomes to roughly stage 4 by Wednesday (light football activity with no contact).

It's amazing to me how underreported his condition remains.

I think most people (including media) just assume he will play in the game Sunday, so it's not a big story.

His practice week is definitely going to be impaired, however.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I've been trying to find the answer to this question all week.  This story continues to be *horribly* reported.

I do not think progression through the stages is as regimented as 1 per day.  I think it could move faster, in theory.

No, I think it's one stage per day, watch for delayed symptoms.  To be fair, the league's policy is that players in concussion protocal can not be reported on so there's that hindrance.  The big variable is Stage 1.  I think a player can be in Stage 1 the same day as the game if all tests normal.

It sounded all week like KC wanted to get Mahomes to roughly stage 4 by Wednesday (light football activity with no contact).

Well, for a QB who practices all week in a red "non contact" jersey, that's kind of a no-brainer......

Stage 1 is the player has to be at baseline with regard to his cognitive testing, balance, and other symptoms.  I believe they could have performed these tests on Sunday night.  They might also have performed CT scans and/or MRIs to look for spinal injury and bleeding.  That might be what Reid was referring to when he said Mahomes had passed some big tests "last night" in his Monday presser.

That would allow him (assuming no new symptoms) to do Stage 2 on Monday, tests and Stage 3 on Tuesday, and be in Stage 4 on Weds.

But Mahomes can be out at practice in Stage 3 and work on the sidelines/do drills ("mimic sports-related activities") so if he practices today (limited) all we can tell is he's either in Stage 3 or 4. 

The bottom line is if he's not having symptoms and his testing is baseline, there's a very good chance he plays Sunday.

image.thumb.png.040dd08be9723fc6199822275a813849.png

16 hours ago, Doc said:

The "brachial stun" theory is BS.  For starters, in a "brachial stun," the person gets knocked-out cold.  Mahomes didn't.  Second of all, it takes a severe blow to the carotid sinus area, not just brief pressure.  Pressure to the carotid sinus is used to try and break episodes of supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) but patients never pass out from it or even exhibit wobbly legs.

I asked a girl out in high school and she initially said yes, but then told me she couldn’t go because she was having intermittent episodes of supraventricular tachycardia and couldn’t go.  

Are you telling me it’s actually a thing??!  Those poor poor bunny rabbits. 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, RunJoshRun said:

GOOD!  I  wouldn't want to beat KC without their main man!

Why? I mean I get where you're coming from to a point. However, I don't give a hamster ***** how the Bills win. If PM doesn't play and the Bills happen to get the W, I most definitely will be 100% satisfied. Also couldn't care less about the media attempting to down play the victory (if it happens) because he was out.

Just win!

6 minutes ago, driddles said:

I can't imagine trying to throw a football with a pinched nerve in my neck, that's gotta hurt... doesn't it?  I've barely been able to turn my head the few times I've pinched a nerve in my life.

Yeah me too. Have had it happened to me only once, but I sure do remember the pain. I also could not turn my head without hurting pretty bad. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I asked a girl out in high school and she initially said yes, but then told me she couldn’t go because she was having intermittent episodes of supraventricular tachycardia and couldn’t go.  

Are you telling me it’s actually a thing??!  Those poor poor bunny rabbits. 

With her, likely not.

• Haha (+1) 2