Mahomes passed all tests last night, appears to be pinched nerve, not a concussion

Albany,n.y.

Meh.  He's just saying the country is anticipating a big show from Mahomes and Allen and it would be a big let down if one of them couldn't participate in the game.

I didn't listen to him (I hate the guy) but I assume he wasn't seriously advocating for a delayed start to the game to accommodate Mahomes' injury.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Considering the disaster in their QB room earlier this year, if I were a Denver fan I’d be ticked if the schedule gets moved around just for their QB...

Theres no way this is gonna happen lol. Just a windbag looking for clicks and attention. 

• Like (+1) 1

Step 1: Rest and recovery

This one is simple. After suffering a concussion, a team must provide ample rest for their player. That means limited physical and cognitive activities. Stretching is still permitted, provided the medical staff approves. 

Once a player has a baseline level of symptoms, they move onto the next step.

Step 2: Light aerobic activities

The player can participate in things like riding a stationary bike or treadmill. During this step, the player may also attend team meetings and film study. 

Neurocognitive testing may begin at this phase, too, meaning players will be tested to see if their baseline symptoms have increased or decreased. If there is any sign of an increase, the player must revert to the previous step. 

Step 3: More aerobic exercise and strength training

Exercise training can increase in intensity and can even mimic some specific sport activities at this step. Players may also participate in “supervised strength training.” 

Step 4: Football specific activities

At this point, if the player has not seen an increase in concussion symptoms, they may practice at a non-contact level. That means throwing, catching, running, or any other positional drills that do not involve contact with players or objects (e.g. dummies, sleds). 

If the player does not exhibit any post-practice symptoms, they can advance to the final step.

Step 5: Full football activity

The player can then take part in a full football practice, with pads, with full contact. One interesting stipulation is that a player can simulate this step if there is no full-contact practice left on the schedule that week (i.e. a walkthrough). Here’s how the NFL explains it: 

if a player cannot participate in practice or full contact with other players due to the time of year and/or rules imposed by the Collective Bargaining Agreement, simulated contact activity will suffice to satisfy this step. 

Once the player has fully practiced, he must be first cleared by the team physician. If he clears, he then must be examined by the Independent Neurological Consultant. If that consultant clears the player of concussion symptoms, he is free to play in the next game.

As it all relates to Hockenson, Lions head coach Matt Patricia indicated that the rookie tight end would be there during Wednesday’s practice, but had not cleared protocol. Depending on his level of involvement, that appears to suggest Hockenson has progressed to at least Step 4 of the protocol. 

We’ll see if he advances far enough to play in Monday’s game against the Packers. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

There truly is a law of diminishing returns for hot takes

Maybe next Mr Cowherd will suggest that since Donald Trump isn't busy after tomorrow that he could start for KC if Mahomes isn't available.  Am I doing this right?

Honestly, at this point I think the foot issue is a bigger deal than the head/neck/spine/whateveryouwantocallit injury. Mahomes is able to move in, around, and deep outside the pocket at an elite level when he is healthy. If he is hampered and unable to avoid rushers and can’t stop on a dime when on the run and drive into his “wow” throws, it significantly changes the game. I know Mahomes is notoriously good against the blitz but I wonder if we test him early and try to get him moving and putting stress on that foot to see how he holds up. 

• Agree 1

Nah, he doesn't really expect the NFL to move the game to fit Mahomes' schedule, that would bring rioting in the streets for the countless other teams that had to play through injury. 

He just wants to see the best 2 young QB's battle it out, as most of America would prefer to see.

• Thank you (+1) 1