Mahomes passed all tests last night, appears to be pinched nerve, not a concussion

Albany,n.y.

I'm a Chiefs fan and just thought that I would chime in with what I know

In terms of mahomes being in the protocol, he will remain in the protocol until he is cleared, which takes days. He can't just be removed after video review. He showed signs of concussion on field, was placed in the protocol, so he has to clear the protocol like anyone

In regards to what you must do to clear protocol, some of it is subjective, in terms of reporting a lack of symptoms. The rest of it, as alluded to previously, is objectively observable. Word recall, balance, mathematical ability, etc.  It takes time because symptoms can take time to develop. Meaning, even if you pass your test right after the injury, if they feel like the injury looks significant on video, you remain in protocol because symptoms may later develop.

Someone also stated previously that you don't need to hit your head to have a concussion. This is absolutely correct, however you do need to have a acceleration injury on the head. An example would be whiplash. I just don't see in the replay Mahomes head undergoing significant acceleration.

in regards to what you can do to clear protocol more quickly

My personal opinion is that he had a brachial stun, causing him to be woozy when he stood up. He quickly recovered, sprinted to the locker room and was later reported to pass the initial tests.  to me, another sign that he is doing well is that he had access to his phone during the game. Typically you are placed on cognitive rest after a concussion, meaning no access to devices, TVs, loud noises, etc.

A lot of this is conjecture based on some personal knowledge, I have administered baseline concussive testing, and been in charge of patients with concussions in the past.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So are the baselines like some type of bran scans or something that is actual hard data that isn't up to a person to tell you what you want to hear?

The one thing I read last night talked about symptom free, and headache free all things that a person could just give the answer they want you to hear.  Where as if it was some type of brain scans are the baseline, that would be hard to fake out.

I have no idea so just trying to understand what is required.

Yes, this is actual data taken before the season for comparison after a concussion. I don't know other details, but it appears to be data and not opinion.

This is the latest step where neurocognitive and balance testing can be done, and results should be back at baseline.   This is from the NFL protocol guidelines.

Edited by klos63
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

I did, however, serve and took a serious beating.

Full honor and respect for you, sir (or madam). Thanks for everything. 

39 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Double thanks for...well, you know.

I honestly hate it when people say this to me, so I hope you don't take offense. But, in this case, a "thanks" looks well deserved brother.

Asking an honest question - why do you hate it ? I dont know any other way to show my respect for someone who served. If I can learn from your thoughts, I may choose to not say that to the next vet or active service member. 

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So are the baselines like some type of bran scans or something that is actual hard data that isn't up to a person to tell you what you want to hear?

The one thing I read last night talked about symptom free, and headache free all things that a person could just give the answer they want you to hear.  Where as if it was some type of brain scans are the baseline, that would be hard to fake out.

If it’s anything like the one I took for high school hockey back in the day, it’s a computer test that looks at how quickly and accurately you can process information. I don’t remember the exact details, but it was something like  different shapes flashing on the screen and depending on the shape you were supposed to hit different keys. How well you do on the baseline is recorded, and you have to match that score to return to play after a concussion. I suppose it would be possible to cheat by mailing it in on the baseline, but assuming you tried your best on the baseline I don’t see how you could cheat after the fact on the return to play test.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:
1 hour ago, Dukestreetking said:

I honestly hate it when people say this to me, so I hope you don't take offense. But, in this case, a "thanks" looks well deserved brother.

Expand  

Asking an honest question - why do you hate it ? I dont know any other way to show my respect for someone who served. If I can learn from your thoughts, I may choose to not say that to the next vet or active service member. 

Very fair, thoughtful question. 

For the record, I'm never mean to anyone who says this...I do the standard "you're welcome" or similar, and appreciate the sentiment intellectually.

Also, to be clear, I served in the GWOT for blah, blah (too many) yrs, but not in uniform, nor was I a contractor, but I was a full on combatant. So, nudge, nudge, wink, wink!

Two things, as briefly as possible:

1. Someone says "thanks" I internally think "for what?"...as in, if I had done xyz, then my boy (call sign Moses, btw) would still be alive. Or, if I did abc, we could've zapped that bastard. Save your thanks for those in the cold, cold ground, they actually deserve it, not me.

I know there's many vets on the board, and this may just be me, but I don't believe this feeling is completely out of norm.

2. "Ty for your service" is often a conversation stopper, not an opener.

You see vets meet, and they'll ask about your unit, location, your MoS, whatever. And then laugh re how much better SoF is than Big Army (I kid, I kid).

So my advice (who am I to give it?), if you're just passing someone by, then TY is all good.

If, however, you're at a party or something, be naturally curious and fire away w those questions above, or those that interest you. And, probably best not to ask re personal body counts (not that you would).

Bottom line: alot of this is just my own messed up psyche, b/c I plugged a bunch in and not sure what really came from it.

Apologies for long answer. Now back to the Bills!

Mods: realize I'm pulling this too far off the rails. Next time I'll DM something like this.

Edited by Dukestreetking
Msg for Mods
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

Again, apologies! My family almost yacks when it comes up on my AppleTV 😃 

I asked my neurosurgeon to take the pictures as I find it interesting. Have pictures of the inside of my spine, knee, abdomen...

I suppose the good thing is if anyone ever calls you spineless you can whip out that picture and show them otherwise... now to get brain surgery....

• Haha (+1) 2

According to Tony Dungy this 2007 hit started the long decline of Peyton Manning’s spine - due to disc herniation and nerve compression. Notice he immediately is shaking his right throwing hand afterwards. 

The Chiefs should be very careful. Andy Reid appears gleeful that Mahomes passed concussion protocol. Saying he only got a “pinched” nerve. Considering this to be true, Mahomes basically suffered whiplash equivalent to a car wreck. He went into the fencing response position and momentarily blacked out. 

Does the NFL concussion protocol include major spinal injury prevention?

Edited by Dr.Sack
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Mango said:

Assuming that Mahomes can only pass one stage at a time/per day, Mahomes can’t practice until Friday. 

There is no “normal” for the Chiefs this week. 

Except he can pass multiple stages in a day - it does not mean he will, but he could be entirely cleared by the first practice or it could take until Sunday, or he could not clear.  The time frame is not defined and clearing levels is not a daily task.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So in his presser today, McDermott got asked whether they would prepare differently for Henne and Mahomes and whether having Mahomes status uncertain changed things like, 3 or 4 times in 3 or 4 different ways.

McDermott made the point that KC has a lot of talent on the field and that neither the talent nor the system that uses that talent changes when Mahomes is out. 

I can kind of see his point.  You don't have to prepare for the "That Freakin' Guy!" DC-throwing-notepad plays, but those are maybe 2-3 plays per game that you have to be able to surmount, the reason they're "That Freakin' Guy!" plays is that they're next to impossible to defend.

Hill, Kelce, Edwards-Helaire, and the rest of the talent are still there and the same scheming that helps them get open and exploit defenses are still there.

The Chiefs offense changes quite a bit with Mahomes. With lesser QB's like Alex Smith, Henne or Moore last season, they are a more typical Reid offense with a ton of screens, short passes and runs. With Mahomes they are much more timing based, down field throws and much more pass heavy. They haven't thrown as many screens either with Mahomes. 

He has a sore neck and a bad ankle/knee.  Mahomes is a gamer and a top level QB.  I am sure he will have a light week of practice, get shots up the wazoo and be the starter on Sunday.  Based on the pressure the Defense can provide might determine how long he can stay in the game.

10 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

According to Tony Dungy this 2007 hit started the long decline of Peyton Manning’s spine - due to disc herniation and nerve compression. Notice he immediately is shaking his right throwing hand afterwards. 

The Chiefs should be very careful. Andy Reid appears gleeful that Mahomes passed concussion protocol. Saying he only got a “pinched” nerve. Considering this to be true, Mahomes basically suffered whiplash equivalent to a car wreck. He went into the fencing response position and momentarily blacked out. 

Does the NFL concussion protocol include major spinal injury prevention?

I didn't realize Manning had suffered that type of neck injury. I always thought it was a degenerative condition.

That sucks, because I bet he would either still be playing or would have just retired had that not happened. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/19/brett-favre-on-patrick-mahomes-concussion-this-is-a-test-for-the-nfl/

“When you’re in the moment, and you’re young, you’re bulletproof, man,” Favre said. “But I’m 51 years old, and I’m wondering what tomorrow will bring, because of concussions more than anything.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCBongo said:

He has a sore neck and a bad ankle/knee.  Mahomes is a gamer and a top level QB.  I am sure he will have a light week of practice, get shots up the wazoo and be the starter on Sunday.  Based on the pressure the Defense can provide might determine how long he can stay in the game.

Mahomes injured his wazoo? I can see coming back from a concussion, pinched nerve, or turf toe, but an injured wazoo? No way. 

• Haha (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I've never seen a detailed description of the protocol, but I do know that although there are some tests you can pass by just giving the right answer, there are other things you can't fake.   I don't know anything about brain scans. 

One of the things you can't fake is short term memory.   I think that on the field or on the sideline, as they're talking to the guy, they mention some random piece of information to him, like "4 is my favorite number."   A couple minutes later they ask "what's my favorite number?"  Guys with concussions can't answer that question.  There's no way to fake it.  

1 hour ago, DCBongo said:

Depending on where he is - that is, what level he's at within the protocol, he may not be able to practice with the team.  Also may not be able to participate in meetings.  It's all determined by the rules of the protocol.  Just have to watch the news daily about what he's been permitted to do.  

• Like (+1) 2