Mahomes passed all tests last night, appears to be pinched nerve, not a concussion

Albany,n.y.

5 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Per a report out of KC that was just reported on WGR.  So if this report is correct Mahomes will be playing on Sunday. No links yet. 

https://www.kmbc.com/article/chiefs-coach-andy-reid-confirms-quarterback-patrick-mahomes-in-nfl-concussion-protocol/35245866

FWIW this physician is saying that there were several indications that Mahomes did suffer a concussion including a "fencing response", and of course the head doesn't need to strike the ground to cause a concussion.  I don't know if a pinched nerve would cause that.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I would not have it any other way

Do we really want to hear people say we wouldnt be in the super bowl if PM had played?

Play them healthy....beat them healthy

And if we lose.....so be it

No one would remember in a year. SuperBowls are forever. 

4 minutes ago, Kangaxx said:

No one would remember in a year. SuperBowls are forever. 

Exactly, we'll have plenty to worry about if we get Green Bay in the Bowl anyway. I'd rather play an entire team of backups if it means getting another shot at a Super Bowl. Who gives a crap if we don't play them at their best.

• Agree 1

The reporting on Mahomes status is all over the place. Holy cow. He's in concussion protocol, period. Every trainer (and most onlookers) knew that Mahomes likely lost consciousness and from his natural bodies response likely had a concussion. Don't take my word for it.

Discussion on fencing response.

Buffalo fans most notable fencing response seen.

Edited by nkreed
Formatting and darn autocorrect

34 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yes I get that but it's not different than me going to the doctor and he asks me does anything bother you and I tell him no, meanwhile I'm in extreme pain. 

A doc could take an X-ray and tell someone, no your leg's not healed enough to play this week, but don't think there's any test you can be given to determine if the person really has a headache or not if the person says they don't. 

Does it make sense for Mahomes to lie about it absolutely not, but many an athlete would lie if it meant they play or not play in a playoff game.  I'm sure he could be fined or maybe even suspended by the league for lying about his medical condition, but not something easily proven either.

There are baseline tests he has already taken before the season started that they compare him to. Until he does as well as those he will not be allowed to play.

Who cares?  We beat them by 10 with Mahomes or we beat them by 20 without Mahomes.  

We have won 8 in a row by an average margin of victory of 17 points.  It does not matter if he plays or not.  I rather he play and take his L.

8 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

I wonder how this affects his practice week. If he is "feeling great" like Reid said and he practices like normal, then no big deal. But if he is not feeling well this week and has some brain fog, it might have some kind of impact on his preparations. 

Assuming that Mahomes can only pass one stage at a time/per day, Mahomes can’t practice until Friday. 

There is no “normal” for the Chiefs this week. 

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Assuming that Mahomes can only pass one stage at a time/per day, Mahomes can’t practice until Friday. 

There is no “normal” for the Chiefs this week. 

Interesting. Does he still have to go through protocol if it's determined to be a "pinched nerve"?

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I would not have it any other way

Do we really want to hear people say we wouldnt be in the super bowl if PM had played?

Play them healthy....beat them healthy

And if we lose.....so be it

While I agree, perhaps that whole point of “what people would say” would be moot if we went on to win the super bowl anyway...

Edited by JaCrispy

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So in his presser today, McDermott got asked whether they would prepare differently for Henne and Mahomes and whether having Mahomes status uncertain changed things like, 3 or 4 times in 3 or 4 different ways.

McDermott made the point that KC has a lot of talent on the field and that neither the talent nor the system that uses that talent changes when Mahomes is out. 

I can kind of see his point.  You don't have to prepare for the "That Freakin' Guy!" DC-throwing-notepad plays, but those are maybe 2-3 plays per game that you have to be able to surmount, the reason they're "That Freakin' Guy!" plays is that they're next to impossible to defend.

Hill, Kelce, Edwards-Helaire, and the rest of the talent are still there and the same scheming that helps them get open and exploit defenses are still there.

Yup . Henne has shown he can make enough plays with the Chiefs offensive stars to keep the competitive..   People should not write off the Chiefs even if Henne ends up starting.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

Interesting. Does he still have to go through protocol if it's determined to be a "pinched nerve"?

If it's a "pinched nerve" he is likely to pass all protocol-related tests pretty quickly. I've never heard of a pinched nerve that makes you unable to answer cognitive questions or track visual stimuli or whatever.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

I would assume that would be determined by passing through concussion protocol quickly.

Make no mistake 5 days is absolutely  FLYING through concussion protocol. You nor I could get a doctor to clear us to play bar league kickball in 5 days let alone play in the NFL if we even so much as hinted at a concussion. There is nothing physiologically gifted about NFL players that allows their brain to heal at some rapid pace compared to soccer, hockey, rugby, etc. NFL concussion protocol is an absolute joke and a very real danger to the health of all of its players. I say that knowing that Josh cleared protocols in a week as well. That shouldn’t be allowed. 

But this isn’t a merry go round, you can’t just enter or exit when it feels like it doesn’t fit. The only exit is passing protocol. 

• Like (+1) 1

You guys remember Allen's rookie year when Derek Anderson got a concussion in the Monday night game against the Patriots? He never hit his head, just got pushed to the ground and was in the protocol for like 5 weeks. Not saying Mahomes is the same thing, but apparently it's possible to be concussed without hitting your head 

Edit : I found it on YouTube. Granted Anderson is older than Mahomes, but this caused a concussion and this looks like nothing 

Edited by Steptide
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Yup . Henne has shown he can make enough plays with the Chiefs offensive stars to keep the competitive..   People should not write off the Chiefs even if Henne ends up starting.

We lost to a backup QB in Super Bowl XXV.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

As a paramedic I can tell you that you don't need to hit your head to suffer a concussion. 

"Coup - contre coup" is enough to get it done. 

Basically any force that causes the brain to slam into the inside part of your skull causes a concussion. 

Mahomes suffered a concussion to me no question. 

And I'm not surprised he has a neck injury as well given tackle we see on tape. 

He has 3 injuries that we know of:

1. A concussion 

2. A neck injury

3. A toe injury

• Like (+1) 3