Mahomes passed all tests last night, appears to be pinched nerve, not a concussion

Albany,n.y.

I hadn't considered it until I saw this thread but in the guard one of the hand to hand strikes we learnt was the brachial stun. Our instructor always showed us the video that included on this link. Never had it done to me at full power but even at 50% it would cause wobbly legs and you had to have someone there to steady you.

Sure looked more like concussion to me, especially after he was declared out for that reason. Its possible someone out there is reporting some wishful thinking that it was an inadvertent Brachial stun.

https://martialartskills.com/brachial-stun/

Pinched nerve my backside, the dude couldn’t hold himself upright afterwards, not that my opinion means a darn thing, but someone’s lying through their teeth. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I thought it was a neck injury when I saw it. The Browns player almost tore his head off.

With that twist of the neck and all the weight falling down it very well could have cut the blood off to his brain, almost like a choke or strike to the neck. 

Kind of what I thought too. I just don’t see where he hit his head on anything. 

50 minutes ago, Deep Voice said:

YEAH

YEAH

My life is complete again.  Where have you been??  We were worried?!

49 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

Eh! Eh! Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  lol yeah i sounded it out loud here at work lol.

I know a guy from Dunkirk who knows a guy too!!!! 

Your story just doesn’t jive.  I bet you’ve never even been to a high-level business meeting 🤨

• Haha (+1) 1

Even if they said he did have a concussion, is there anything really to stop him from faking the results.  Supposedly they need to be concussion symptom free,  headache free, be able speak clearly.  All things that someone wanting to make sure they play the following week would seem to be easy to fake.  Understand they are messing with their own well being, likely if a regular season game, they may admit, yes I still have a slight headache.  But for a playoff game could see most players faking it and telling everyone, I feel fine, 100%!

Recall the Bills 1st SB, in the last minute or so, Kelly took a hit that was bad enough forced the Bills to use a TO so Kelly could figure out where he was.  Likely these days he'd have never finished the game. 

If they hadn't needed to call that TO, may have been able to use that extra time instead at the end to get a couple extra plays in and gotten closer for the kick.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My life is complete again.  Where have you been??  We were worried?!

Your story just doesn’t jive.  I bet you’ve never even been to a high-level business meeting 🤨

High level business meetings?  I am partying with Dr.Gonzo 

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Lol "professional gladiators"

By far the most difficult and grueling sport on the planet. #respect

To your point, it was pretty damn quick. 

I’ve seen people tap quickly in MMA, but as far as actually going limp and blurry, it usually takes more than a couple seconds of a choke hold. 

Of topic and a little LAMPy, a UFC fighter that is ranked in the top 50 lives next door to me. We are dog park friends. One of the nicest guys I’ve met. 

Edited by chknwing334
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I'm of the crowd that would rather face Mahomes than Henne. That way, if we win, there will be no excuses like, "Oh, well if the Chiefs had Mahomes.." blah, blah, blah. Nah, I want us to whoop that :censored: with Patrick taking the snaps. 

I don’t think it matters. In either case there will be folks using in some negative connotation. Didn’t play Mahomes, Mahomes was hiding injury, etc. Only way they won’t talk smack afterwards is to beat Brady or Rodgers afterwards in a blowout. 

Mahomes will play and in all honesty it’s not going to matter. 

I heard a report last night saying he was choked out and that’s why his legs were weak. 

KC fans complained it was a dirty hit. 

it really wasn’t dirty and in all honesty I don’t see how he would have a concussion nor do I see him being choked out 🤷‍♂️

none of it really matters, the Bills will see him on Sunday, they just need to play their game and stay disciplined on D, snag those under thrown deep balls that Mahomes just flings out there, play mistake free on offense and the Bills will win by 14

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Even if they said he did have a concussion, is there anything really to stop him from faking the results.  Supposedly they need to be concussion symptom free,  headache free, be able speak clearly.  All things that someone wanting to make sure they play the following week would seem to be easy to fake.  Understand they are messing with their own well being, likely if a regular season game, they may admit, yes I still have a slight headache.  But for a playoff game could see most players faking it and telling everyone, I feel fine, 100%!

Recall the Bills 1st SB, in the last minute or so, Kelly took a hit that was bad enough forced the Bills to use a TO so Kelly could figure out where he was.  Likely these days he'd have never finished the game. 

If they hadn't needed to call that TO, may have been able to use that extra time instead at the end to get a couple extra plays in and gotten closer for the kick.

The people who have to clear him are independent neurologists not associated with the team.

I will just wait and see, but it did not look like a normal concussion to me.  Mahomes head really does not get hit or suffer the classic acceleration/deceleration that you saw with say Jackson.

With Mahomes what you saw was a Browns player wrap up his head on the hit and then sort of roll and you see Mahomes head pull up at the neck and then his full body weight is yanked upward almost like he was going to be suplexed.  The bodies reaction was similar to a concussion with the typical wobbly knees and vacant stare.

I don’t think it was blood flow related (like MMA) - to quick and not really a choke move.  I think it was more stress/strain on the neck and nerves.

I actually believe both sides could be correct and make sense as “neck concussion” are a real thing as studied by UB in the past (https://completeconcussions.com/2017/03/14/neck-causing-concussion-symptoms-part-1/) and if he had those typical concussion symptoms - he would be placed in the protocol and have to clear the protocol - even if it was not brain related.  Therefore; Reid saying he is in protocol and has to clear is 100% correct and people saying it was not really a concussion (in that his head was not the focal point), but was caused by his neck (nerve) may also be correct.

In the end some people will believe whatever they want and I really don’t care.  If he clears - he plays and if he doesn’t clear - then we need to be prepared for that also.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Let's also not forget that foot/leg injury that had him limping off the field. Turf toe someone said. 

In any event, if that Bills defense that showed up for the Ravens game shows up for the Chiefs game it won't matter who the QB is for KC.

Still, I kinda doubt that Chad Henne will put fear into the Bills secondary, not like Mahomes. 

3 hours ago, bills6969 said:

Lol, not a pinched nerve.  First time I’ve seen a player get spaghetti legs from a “pinched nerve”.  Just KC trying to downplay the injury.

I had a pinched nerve in my back from a ruptured disc, that was bad enough that my left leg barely worked. I walked like a zombie, and when the surgeon looked at the MRI results he said it was amazing that I could walk at all based on how bad it was. So it probably depends on what nerve it is and where.

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

First of all, it doesn't work that way.

If he is in the protocol, the protocol is clearly defined and has 5 stages that he must move through over a period of days.  At the end of all of it, even if the KC team physicians clear him to play, he must get further approval from an independent neurologist assigned to the team.

Could that ind. neurologist be in on the scam?  Does he/she live and work in the KC area?  Is he/she a Chiefs fan that would like to see Mahomes play?  Are they unscrupulous with a disregard for the code of ethics they swore to uphold as a medical professional?

Who knows.  

I'll suggest the ind. neurologist will do what is right, and if he/she sees that it is not, Mahomes will not be cleared to play.

If he is cleared to play, as mentioned before, he is going to have a very unusual week of partial practice which has to benefit the Bills to some degree.

He is also putting himself in danger of getting another concussion by playing so soon.  The Bills should send everyone early in the game and try to get him removed from the game.

each NFL team has an "independent" neurologist assigned to the team who lives in the home  team area.

not sure who pays him,, and how much.

pretty sure not a full time gig, as the NFL can not even employ its regs on a full time basis

3 hours ago, nkreed said:

I'm stealing this opportunity to say Thank You for the updates to the board, but specifically the like button options. I see they were updated again recently and wanted to thank you publicly but couldn't find a thread of that.

All that too say, THANKS!

STOP STEALING OPPORTUNITIES