Mahomes passed all tests last night, appears to be pinched nerve, not a concussion

Albany,n.y.

2 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

I’m not a neurologist, he was concussed. he will be fine physically Saturday. Brain is foggy for sure—best not change his $400M investments or will this week!! 

—bet his mind is just rubble today. 

There is no way to say how well he is doing or will be doing.

He clearly had a concussion IMO.  So, he could be feeling fine today, wake up tomorrow, and be depressed and dizzy all day long.  His symptoms could remain constant, or be sporadic, for months.  Or not.  

I quoted a study done in another post that said the median time out for a QB on the protocol was 7 days, as measured over a 4 year period of time I believe.

That's the median, so it means some were shorter but some were much longer than 7 days.

Just now, Max Fischer said:

If Chiefs say Mahomes is Ok then there are no excuses when they lose. 

How about the independent neurologist who has to clear Mahomes after the Chiefs say he is OK?

How does that figure into your analysis?

I’m telling you, yes the hit brought about an issue. 

with the amount of pain on his face after hurting his foot, I think the team just thought it was safer to keep him out. He’d be listed in the concussion protocol even though they knew it was minor and there would no mention of his foot.....

Anyone here a word about his foot? 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

How about the independent neurologist who has to clear Mahomes after the Chiefs say he is OK?

I have no idea what this means. "My analysis?" I'll check my calendar, but I don't believe I was consulted. 

Sure, he may have had a pinched nerve, but that's almost certainly not the cause of his unsteadiness after the play. Just my $0.02 (which is less than my hourly rate).

Edited by Rubes
  • Like (+1) 2

If it is a pinched nerve.. depending on where it is the loss of strength can be devastating. I had one in my neck from weightlifting and lost all power on the right side of my upper body for nearly 6 months and it took years to get it back to where it once was. I could not even lift a peanut bar jar for months... It takes really long for nerves to repair themselves even with the best treatments avail. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Silvercrw said:

If it is a pinched nerve.. depending on where it is the loss of strength can be devastating. I had one in my neck from weightlifting and lost all power on the right side of my upper body for nearly 6 months and it took years to get it back to where it once was. I could not even lift a peanut bar jar for months... It takes really long for nerves to repair themselves even with the best treatments avail. 

I pinched my ulnar nerve sleeping once. I lost almost complete use of my entire right hand, and totally lost all feeling and motor skills in my middle, ring, and pinky finger. It took months to get it all back. Which was especially frustrating as a righty. 

Just now, CaliBills said:

Are a lot of you secretly hoping it was a concussion so he might not play because you are scared to play against him? lol 

Again, all this "pinched nerve" nonsense is coming from some flak reporter that Chris Jones scolding out previously.

Mahomes is still in the concussion protocol, they don't put you in that for a pinched nerve, unless you have conclusion symptoms.

12 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

There is no way to say how well he is doing or will be doing.

He clearly had a concussion IMO.  So, he could be feeling fine today, wake up tomorrow, and be depressed and dizzy all day long.  His symptoms could remain constant, or be sporadic, for months.  Or not.  

I quoted a study done in another post that said the median time out for a QB on the protocol was 7 days, as measured over a 4 year period of time I believe.

That's the median, so it means some were shorter but some were much longer than 7 days.

the NFL has a five step program that the player has to go through as outlined in this picture

vz7onnkbwpcxwwzglkgd.jpg

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

Again, all this "pinched nerve" nonsense is coming from some flak reporter that Chris Jones scolding out previously.

Mahomes is still in the concussion protocol, they don't put you in that for a pinched nerve, unless you have conclusion symptoms.

Any dizziness  shown like that which occurs from a player during a play will be always considered a concussion and the player will always be placed in such to determine if it was.

They can't simply put a player in it, then immediately take him out regardless of the initial diagnosis. 

You can call it nonsense all you want, but you, and no one on this board, knows if it was an actual concussion or pinch nerve.  The only persons that know are mahomes, the doctors treating him, and certain staff members.

3 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

While I'm not a doctor I have heard many times about the link between trapped nerve and getting winded with wobbly legs. This totally normal medical phenomenon can occur with greater frequency in the run up to a championship game.  

This was a concussion per this sports doctor and anyone saying it wasn't is being disingenuous.

I would also point to the fact that Mahomes is STILL in the protocol per the coach

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-coach-andy-reid-says-patrick-mahomes-still-in-concussion-protocol

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1