Mahomes passed all tests last night, appears to be pinched nerve, not a concussion

Albany,n.y.

21 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

So let me ask anyone willing to answer.

If Mahomes doctor's come out and say it wasn't a concussion.  His head twisted in a way to pinch a nerve causing momentary dizziness and blackout. We put him in concussion protocol to ensure his safety and he passed all the tests in a short period of time and he is good to go.

Would you even believe them?  

At the risk of diving much too far down the rabbit hole...and also being wrong...

I think that your GP has a larger legal and ethical responsibility to the overall well being of the patient than a consultant does (outside of an actual hospital setting). So yes, if Mahomes GP came out and said he is healthy enough to play there would be ample weight behind that, because the GP is beholden to Mahomes actual well being.  But no GP would ever come out and say that their patient is OK to play 7 days post concussion, because they aren't. There is a reason that there are lots of waivers involved. The seal of approval to come back post concussion and play in the NFL is basically "well you probably wouldn't die on the field". 

• Like (+1) 3

Regardless. I want Mahomes out there facing us. No BS asterisks.

And yes, that was no pinched nerve. This is just PR to alleviate any concerns about the NFL concussion protocol. No way Mahomes is be out for that game. Concussion or not.

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

I thought it was a neck injury when I saw it. The Browns player almost tore his head off.

With that twist of the neck and all the weight falling down it very well could have cut the blood off to his brain, almost like a choke or strike to the neck. 

Whatever amount of blood was cut off, it was for a millisecond.   Watch it again in real speed.

He suffered a concussion from a violent deceleration of his head and quite clearly did not know where he was after the play was over.  Lost all balance as well.

His own linemen were looking in his eyes and gesturing to medical staff "He's not right, get out here."

This BS about a nerve is the KC cover story IMO to try and get him around the concussion protocol.

HERE IS THE KEY:  As far as we know, he is STILL  in the protocol! 

They can call it what they want, but he is going to have to convince an independent neurologist that he is OK to go before he plays in the game.

He is also likely to have a very abnormal and incomplete week of practice which is another benefit to the Bills, even if he does play on Sunday.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Agree 2

Just now, Mango said:

At the risk of diving much too far down the rabbit hole...and also being wrong...

I think that your GP has a larger legal and ethical responsibility to the overall well being of the patient than a consultant does (outside of an actual hospital setting). So yes, if Mahomes GP came out and said he is healthy enough to play there would be ample weight behind that, because the GP is beholden to Mahomes actual well being.  But no GP would ever come out and say that their patient is OK to play 7 days post concussion, because they aren't. There is a reason that there are lots of waivers involved. The seal of approval to come back post concussion and play in the NFL is basically "well you probably wouldn't die on the field". 

Great post!

Reid running Mahomes in that situation in that game was one of the most epically stupid offensive calls in years.  In regards to the debate about the choke hold or neck pinch, both are ridiculous. He wasn't choked and the only possibility of losing oxygen to the brain like that is if he took a blow to the windpipe, which doesn't happen on that play. what is more likely, is what has been said by others on here already. A concussion where the brain moves a bit and hits the inside of the skull. That would account for the visible symptoms without the huge blow to the head!

4 minutes ago, cale said:

Regardless. I want Mahomes out there facing us. No BS asterisks.

And yes, that was no pinched nerve. This is just PR to alleviate any concerns about the NFL concussion protocol. No way Mahomes is be out for that game. Concussion or not.

I have no clue what it was but a pinched nerve can make you dizzy like that.  I didn't see a heavy hit to his head but his neck was definitely torqued

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

So let me ask anyone willing to answer.

If Mahomes doctor's come out and say it wasn't a concussion.  His head twisted in a way to pinch a nerve causing momentary dizziness and blackout. We put him in concussion protocol to ensure his safety and he passed all the tests in a short period of time and he is good to go.

Would you even believe them?  

First of all, it doesn't work that way.

If he is in the protocol, the protocol is clearly defined and has 5 stages that he must move through over a period of days.  At the end of all of it, even if the KC team physicians clear him to play, he must get further approval from an independent neurologist assigned to the team.

Could that ind. neurologist be in on the scam?  Does he/she live and work in the KC area?  Is he/she a Chiefs fan that would like to see Mahomes play?  Are they unscrupulous with a disregard for the code of ethics they swore to uphold as a medical professional?

Who knows.  

I'll suggest the ind. neurologist will do what is right, and if he/she sees that it is not, Mahomes will not be cleared to play.

If he is cleared to play, as mentioned before, he is going to have a very unusual week of partial practice which has to benefit the Bills to some degree.

He is also putting himself in danger of getting another concussion by playing so soon.  The Bills should send everyone early in the game and try to get him removed from the game.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Per a report out of KC that was just reported on WGR.  So if this report is correct Mahomes will be playing on Sunday. No links yet. 

I'm sure he does have a pinched nerve. I've suffered from a pinch nerve in my neck that is re-occurring for almost 20 years now...The pain is intense...Literally the worst pain I've experienced at times.

Never once did I get woozy, weak kneed, or almost pass out though...He was concussed... 😎

• Like (+1) 1

I'm expecting Mahomes to play and be fine.  I know if Josh Allen got knocked woozy and the AFC Championship game was coming up,  we'd all expect him to be out there, or at least do everything in his power to be out there.

By Sunday eve, I think Mahomes' toe will be more of an issue for him than his head.

I'm of the crowd that would rather face Mahomes than Henne. That way, if we win, there will be no excuses like, "Oh, well if the Chiefs had Mahomes.." blah, blah, blah. Nah, I want us to whoop that :censored: with Patrick taking the snaps. 

• Agree 2

We keep reading about average time for players 19 days, and 7 days for QBs (which is absolutely wild btw). 

But the NFL does not give any actual time table for the protocols, which is both not surprising and surprising at the same time. All the league says is you have to run through each step and can't skip any steps. You would think that given the 5 step process, any step should come no sooner than 24 hours, right? Or could a player clear phase 2 and 3 on the same day? 

When I lived at the Olympic Training Center rule of thumb was basically to take inventory two days later after adding activity. So when I broke my rib, I biked a lot and did all my core work. But when I added running, I would go run and it was OK to be a little sore that day or the next, but it was day 2 post activity that was important. You had to be 100% on day 2. That would indicate that any soreness was something that my body was not overcoming with standard rest, ice, and some time on the physio table. It was an actual set back and you would have to shut back down for a bit.  

Just now, zow2 said:

I'm expecting Mahomes to play and be fine.  I know if Josh Allen got knocked woozy and the AFC Championship game was coming up,  we'd all expect him to be out there, or at least do everything in his power to be out there.

By Sunday eve, I think Mahomes' toe will be more of an issue for him than his head.

When you get a concussion do you really have any control over getting yourself right to play? I will always be on the side of player safety so if Allen could not play then that’s that. Frank Reich would have to man up and get us a win. 

Just now, H2o said:

I'm of the crowd that would rather face Mahomes than Henne. That way, if we win, there will be no excuses like, "Oh, well if the Chiefs had Mahomes.." blah, blah, blah. Nah, I want us to whoop that :censored: with Patrick taking the snaps. 

I don't care if Henne does start. Who starts for who doesn't mean a thing as far as the bottom line goes. Sure, if we beat Mahomes, then yeah, it'll be nice to know we beat Mahomes. But that won't stop the excuses for Mahomes, and yeah it's a double standard. No one excused Allen playing hurt in week 6 except maybe us Bills fans, but the narrative after beating a banged up Mahomes in the end will be about the same as beating Henne. To me, a win is a win, let em say what they want. Bills are SB bound

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with those that say Mahomes will play and that is what I would like to see. I want Josh to face off against Mahomes and win. We want to beat the best at their best. It would be great to win a game for the ages. We have the firepower and the coaching to go toe to toe. 

• Like (+1) 1