Teams that won the SB without a strong running game - Daboll was a part of two of them

YoloinOhio

The three remaining QBs in the playoffs are arguably the two best of all time, and arguably the best QB in the NFL right now. And all have strong run games. 

It's going to be a huge disadvantage unfortunately. Makes a huge difference in how defenses play us, they've been selling out to stop the pass. The Colts basically played us how we played the Chiefs earlier in the year. And Josh still went for 300+ and 3 TDs. 

What he's done this year with 0 run game is unbelievable. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Process said:

The three remaining QBs in the playoffs are arguably the two best of all time, and arguably the best QB in the NFL right now. And all have strong run games. 

It's going to be a huge disadvantage unfortunately. Makes a huge difference in how defenses play us, they've been selling out to stop the pass. The Colts basically played us how we played the Chiefs earlier in the year. And Josh still went for 300+ and 3 TDs. 

What he's done this year with 0 run game is unbelievable. 

I definitely see it as a disadvantage. I just wonder if Daboll has a philosophy rooted in being part of those teams

The tweet isn't 100 percent accurate. While the 2015 Patriots did win a playoff game with under 40 rushing yards they didn't win the Super Bowl. I also checked to see if they meant the 2016 Patriots who did win the Super Bowl, but that team had over 40 rushing yards in all their playoff games that season. So two of the three teams who have won that way in the playoffs have won the Super Bowl. 

But as to your question, I would just assume that he realizes that passing is a more effective and efficient way to win in today's NFL and it is entirely possible that his experience with New England influenced him. And playing to your strengths has always been a Belichick philosophy as well, so I would assume that's part of it.

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I definitely see it as a disadvantage. I just wonder if Daboll has a philosophy rooted in being part of those teams

I wonder a little why the Bills don't just run plays in the run game that seem to at least work somewhat well...

The shotgun handoffs don't but the straight handoffs from under center where the back runs off tackle or on the edges seem to do pretty well...a lot of times those runs will gain 6 or 7 yards or sometimes even go for 12 or 15 and a first down.

Why they don't at least try a few more of those types of runs I don't really get.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

The biggest killer is end of games with the lead. Can't rely on run game to burn clock and get a first down or two on the ground.

They have done exactly this during this current year. Moss killed it. Can’t recall which game off the top of my head. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TroutDog said:

They have done exactly this during this current year. Moss killed it. Can’t recall which game off the top of my head. 

They have? LOL maybe in the Denver game because the Broncos suck at stopping the run.  

7 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

OK. I'll give you 1 game (out of 18).

Maybe things would be different with Moss still in there, but Saturday vs Ravens was a prime example.

If any time warranted running effectively, it was their last 2 possessions, especially the first series below.

First series below lasted 1:01, second 0:41.

1 & 10 - BUF 29 (6:36 - 4th) J.Allen pass incomplete deep right. Thrown away.-1 YD

2 & 10 - BUF 29 (6:28 - 4th) D.Singletary up the middle to BAL 30 for -1 yards (L.Fort J.Madubuike).+4 YD

3 & 11 - BUF 30 (5:42 - 4th) J.Allen pass short left to J.Brown to BAL 26 for 4 yards (A.Averett).No Good

4 & 7 - BUF 26 (5:35 - 4th) T.Bass 44 yard field goal is No Good Wide Left Center-R.Ferguson Holder-C.Bojorquez

1 & 10 - BUF 10 (2:41 - 4th) D.Singletary left guard to BUF 10 for no gain (M.Judon).+3 YD

2 & 10 - BUF 10 (2:36 - 4th) T.Yeldon left tackle to BUF 13 for 3 yards (B.Williams).Penalty

3 & 7 - BUF 13 (2:30 - 4th) PENALTY on BAL-C.Campbell Neutral Zone Infraction 5 yards enforced at BUF 13 - No Play.+1 YD

3 & 2 - BUF 18 (2:30 - 4th) T.Yeldon left tackle to BUF 19 for 1 yard (M.Judon; B.Williams).Punt

4 & 1 - BUF 19 (2:00 - 4th) C.Bojorquez punts 53 yards to BAL 28 Center-R.Ferguson. D.Duvernay pushed ob at BAL 33 for 5 yards (A.Klein). PENALTY on BAL-M.Harrison Running Into the Kicker 5 yards enforced at BUF 19 - No Play.

I just want the W. Weather is looking tough in KC next Sunday. Will probably keep the scoring down, putting a greater emphasis on turnovers & short yardage running/passing. 

I don’t care if we run 40 times for 300 v KC. I don’t care if we win 2-0. 

Go Bills!

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillies said:

The biggest killer is end of games with the lead. Can't rely on run game to burn clock and get a first down or two on the ground.

True and the one example I can think of us doing this effectively was with Moss making nice cut after cut in the 4th against the Steelers. 

We’ve been successful using WR short and bubble screens and RPO Josh—-a “poor man’s” run game. Some of these 2 yd passes have been spectacular pseudo run. In red zone these have been very effective (brown earlier games and then Diggs vs ravens)

8 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Steelers game. Ran over 7 minutes off the clock.

True, we ran off the final 7+ minutes, but there was a key third and long completion to Knox to keep possession and then allow Moss and Allen to run out the clock.