This upcoming Draft we will get to see how Good Beane is

MAJBobby

Limited Picks, Later picks, Decisions to be made money wise and paying Allen.  

This draft going forward will show just how good Beane and the FO are, going forward.  Need to hit on the top 3 picks IMO, past drafts have shown him to be able to find players, but now is when it gets hard with later picks in each round

52 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

This draft going forward will show just how good Beane and the FO are, going forward.  Need to hit on the top 3 picks IMO, past drafts have shown him to be able to find players, but now is when it gets hard with later picks in each round

What I will be interested in is how much do they go safe and how much do they go ceiling. The high ceiling high floor players are gone before pick #29 (earliest we can pick). There are normally some high ceiling low floor guys left among the high floor low ceiling guys. How do they balance that need. I liked last year's draft but felt their rounds 2 and 3 picks were safe. Nothing wrong with that but you can't just fall into the habit of picking later and always taking the safe guy - the high floor low ceiling guy. 

I have done my initial stack of the corners and I think there are some intruging options there that could last until the end of round 1. Looking at offensive line at the moment and will go onto defensive line next. I feel like those tree spots are where our #1 pick most likely goes. 

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What I will be interested in is how much do they go safe and how much do they go ceiling. The high ceiling high floor players are gone before pick #29 (earliest we can pick). There are normally some high ceiling low floor guys left among the high floor low ceiling guys. How do they balance that need. I liked last year's draft but felt their rounds 2 and 3 picks were safe. Nothing wrong with that but you can't just fall into the habit of picking later and always taking the safe guy - the high floor low ceiling guy. 

I have done my initial stack of the corners and I think there are some intruging options there that could last until the end of round 1. Looking at offensive line at the moment and will go onto defensive line next. I feel like those tree spots are where our #1 pick most likely goes. 

I agree with all this.  I really do think that they will go Edge in Round 1.  My initial grading has a good number of decent options in the late first.  CB IMO going to be hard to get to drop unless there is a OT run.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I agree with all this.  I really do think that they will go Edge in Round 1.  My initial grading has a good number of decent options in the late first.  CB IMO going to be hard to get to drop unless there is a OT run.

Yea I think the corner class is interesting because Surtain in my view might be the best player not name Trevor in this draft. Then Farley is going top 15. After that I think you start pretty quick to get to a group that will be more jumbled for scheme reasons. If I run a defense where I ask my corners to play a lot of man I'd take Jaycee Horn as a top 20 player, but in a zone scheme where he has to read, anticipate and come up and play run support? I wouldn't take him in round 1. The guy I have my first 2021 draft crush on is Greg Newsome II out of Northwestern. He is raw... but that boy's traits are off the charts. He is so darn smooth in his movement and he is just really smart you can see his football IQ jump off the tape. I think I prefer him to Asante Samuel. 

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I think the corner class is interesting because Surtain in my view might be the best player not name Trevor in this draft. Then Farley is going top 15. After that I think you start pretty quick to get to a group that will be more jumbled for scheme reasons. If I run a defense where I ask my corners to play a lot of man I'd take Jaycee Horn as a top 20 player, but in a zone scheme where he has to read, anticipate and come up and play run support? I wouldn't take him in round 1. The guy I have my first 2021 draft crush on is Greg Newsome II out of Northwestern. He is raw... but that boy's traits are off the charts. He is so darn smooth in his movement and he is just really smart you can see his football IQ jump off the tape. I think I prefer him to Asante Samuel. 

I agree on Newsome. Reminds me of the Josh Allen of CB. Really raw and needs to develop but IF he hits will be the best CB in the draft. He is the high Ceiling low Floor type. And would be drafting a tools player similar to Allen. But if anyone can develop a CB it is the Bills. 

• Agree 2

On 1/18/2021 at 12:03 PM, GunnerBill said:

Going to Miami? I doubt it because they have two well paid corners. Going to safety? No I think he is a corner. 

Guessing you meant one of those?

You are probably right but I don't eliminate the possibility. Surtain is big for a corner and imo Minkah was a better player.

Edited by Bill from NYC

To me the most interesting thing about this draft is the later rounds.  Weren’t there a lot of schools that didn’t play at all?  Talk about tough evaluations.  They’ll be going off prior year’s research and the combine.  Some of those guys won’t even be at the combine.  My guess is that a couple of superstars come after round 5 or in UDFA this year.  I hope we get one.

Kyle Dugger flew up the draft boards last year.  Without commenting on whether that will work out....because I don’t know....there are guys like that in every draft.  This year?  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

To me the most interesting thing about this draft is the later rounds.  Weren’t there a lot of schools that didn’t play at all?  Talk about tough evaluations.  They’ll be going off prior year’s research and the combine.  Some of those guys won’t even be at the combine.  My guess is that a couple of superstars come after round 5 or in UDFA this year.  I hope we get one.

Kyle Dugger flew up the draft boards last year.  Without commenting on whether that will work out....because I don’t know....there are guys like that in every draft.  This year?  

I believe it was just announced that there will not be a "traditional" draft combine this year either.  I wonder about the Shrine game and the Senior Bowl.  These scouts certainly have their work cut out for them this year!

On 1/18/2021 at 8:30 AM, GunnerBill said:

Speaking of Northwestern, do you think Paddy Fisher could be a "Process" guy?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Speaking of Northwestern, do you think Paddy Fisher could be a "Process" guy?

McDermott type guy, for sure. McDermott type player? Less convinced. Not sure he is athletic enough to play linebacker in our scheme. He is a big middle linebacker thumper. I think the Bills will be looking for more of the fast converted safety Matt Milano type.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/19/2021 at 6:33 AM, Bill from NYC said:

You are probably right but I don't eliminate the possibility. Surtain is big for a corner and imo Minkah was a better player imo.

Minkah always played safety though, he also played a "big nickel" roll at Bama, think Saban calls it the star position, but he was always a safety.

Surtain has been a man corner since day 1 at Bama, I don't see that changing in the league.

45 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Minkah always played safety though, he also played a "big nickel" roll at Bama, think Saban calls it the star position, but he was always a safety.

Surtain has been a man corner since day 1 at Bama, I don't see that changing in the league.

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2016/8/1/12339910/2016-alabama-unit-previews-cornerback

I guess much depends on whether or not you consider a niclel back a corner of a safety. Either way, he was one great player. :)

14 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

@GunnerBill, @MAJBobby if you guys get a chance I’d like your opinions on Robert Rochell(Central Arkansas) and DJ Daniel(Georgia). 

I have watched Daniel. Feel like he is a mid round guy. Early day 3. Think I provisionally gave him a 4th round grade. Gets a bit grabby was the big thing I noticed on tape. When matched up 1 on 1 has a tendency to flip his hips the wrong way, panic and grab. Nice size and speed, he moves nicely... just don't know how much I trust him to come in and start early. A guy I think you take for his measurables and try and develop as a backup initially. He is at the Senior Bowl next week I believe which is huge for him. I wouldn't be shocked to see him fly up boards if he has a nice week. 

Not watched any Rochell but I think he is going to Mobile too isn't he?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I have watched Daniel. Feel like he is a mid round guy. Early day 3. Think I provisionally gave him a 4th round grade. Gets a bit grabby was the big thing I noticed on tape. When matched up 1 on 1 has a tendency to flip his hips the wrong way, panic and grab. Nice size and speed, he moves nicely... just don't know how much I trust him to come in and start early. A guy I think you take for his measurables and try and develop as a backup initially. He is at the Senior Bowl next week I believe which is huge for him. I wouldn't be shocked to see him fly up boards if he has a nice week. 

Not watched any Rochell but I think he is going to Mobile too isn't he?

Yes he is. Want to see him against better talent. Big CB. Not afraid to tackle. Think he would be perfect opposite Tre White

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

@GunnerBill, @MAJBobby if you guys get a chance I’d like your opinions on Robert Rochell(Central Arkansas) and DJ Daniel(Georgia). 

Rochell I have watched a Bit.  I have not DJ Daniel yet.

What I like his athletic profile, 6-2 measured, however I think closer to 6-0 to 6-1, but wont matter big bodied CB.  Played lower level of competition so his physical skills will shine.  Needs to show well in the Senior Bowl (I think I read he accepted), that will show if the FCS prospect belongs.  He is physical CB that can get too handsy and too physical will bit on the double move alot because of his aggressiveness, though has the physical traits to make up for that at the FCS level.  Like him as a Zone CB more than a Press Man CB, it is when he has to turn his back and then flip hips he looks stiff.  Got him as a solid 5th round grade, could climb a round or two depending how he shows in all star games against higher end competition.  

Think of a Bigger Taron Johnson in terms of his run support.

33 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Yes he is. Want to see him against better talent. Big CB. Not afraid to tackle. Think he would be perfect opposite Tre White

Here is an interview with Rochell from November.

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/11/robert-rochell-2/

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

What about JOK with ND?  He seems like a fit.  I have seen him anywhere from 16 to the 2nd round.

I don't watch College Football and pick up on the subject about now. 

What do the Board experts think about this possibility?  Thank you.

On 1/18/2021 at 9:42 AM, MAJBobby said:

I agree, but imo he has quite a bit to work with, in that this is a VERY strong draft imo. It is QB heavy and we already have Josh. It is OL heavy which is GREAT, and not particularly strong at defensive back. :) 

I have faith that Beane will come through with some talented players, and am ever so thankful that the Whaley, Levy, Jauron, Nix days are over. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.