Wyatt Teller 1 of the Best OG in NFL .

T master

31 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

For some reason, there are guys that get in McD's doghouse.  Pufnstuf is the best current example of that.  Best pass-catching TE we have, but he's inactive every week.  Teller was just one of those guys.

"Get in McD's Doghouse" 🙄

Here's an article written at the time

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/29/bills-trade-wyatt-teller-to-browns/

"Buffalo has depth at the position after adding Spencer Long, Quinton Spain and Jon Feliciano in free agency and using a second-round selection on Cody Ford"

At the time of the trade, all 3 of the first guys mentioned were arguably more proficient pass-blocking guards.  Pass blocking was more important to the Bills at that time than run blocking.

McDermott and coaches also value positional flexiblity. 

Teller has really developed well since then, and in hindsight they would certainly have kept Teller over Long or Spain, but that wasn't how it looked at the time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Eyeroll if you must, but McD has favorites.  Remember when he kept playing Vlad and we couldn't figure out why?  Spencer Long and Quinton Spain are long gone.  We blew it on Teller, for whatever reason.

Bad example.  McDermott delegates offensive decisions to Daboll.  Daboll delegates to his coaches.  Now "Teflon Juan" Castillo was hired by McDermott before he hired the OC and was inherited by Daboll along with a number of the offensive coaches.  Castillo was noted for being a stickler for using HIS blocking technique and downmarking players who didn't do it "his way", which, since Ducasse was brought in by Castillo to teach his technique, presumably he did.

It's not "McD has favorites" it's McD delegates to his OCs who delegate to their assistants, and they have some freedom as long as they "get the job done".  Castillo didn't and he went out the door after the 2018 season.

Then, after Beane brought in a huge FA talent infusion, it became delegated to Bobby Johnson.  It was clear they had too many people, and at the time, their evaluation of who was likely to make the team (including positional flexibility) put Teller lower than other guys.  He was gonna start the season as a backup, and when the Bills look at OL backups they look at positional flexibility.

In hindsight, was he better than guys we kept, absolutely.   Some days you the windshield, some days you the bug. Would he have developed the same way on a team that uses a different blocking scheme and puts far more value on pass than on run blocking?  Maybe not. 

But it's not "get in McD's doghouse" that drives it.

20 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

Is this where I pat myself on the back for being the original Wyatt Teller fanboy?

Permission to Pat Self On Back granted

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Eyeroll if you must, but McD has favorites.  Remember when he kept playing Vlad and we couldn't figure out why?  Spencer Long and Quinton Spain are long gone.  We blew it on Teller, for whatever reason.

I would rather have Diggs and Bass than Teller.

Teller would have been cut here if not traded.  Heck last year he was so bad in Cleveland in pass blocking (and run blocking) that he was one of the worst Guards in the league.  Does he survive in Buffalo on a pass first team last year?

Do you think if we kept him and got rid of Spain last year the Bills make the playoffs?  Spain gave up no sacks and very little pressure and Mayfield was calling for Tellers head and the interior of the Cleveland line was awful.

What changed was bringing in Stefanski and a run first, run second, and play action offense that allowed Teller to be a run oriented guard.  He still is below average in pass protection and was marched straight back into Mayfield several times on Sunday.  Teller also has no position flexibility- so he is a liability on the Bills OLine where they want guys that can play multiple positions.

Congrats to Teller for what he has done and you can go root for him, but I don’t think or a second the Bills blew it on Teller - I think they recognized his strengths and his Weaknesses and got something for him rather than outright cutting him.  His Weaknesses would put him on the bench and his strengths do not fit in with the offensive scheme Dabol runs.

So bye bye 👋.

• Like (+1) 2

FWIW - to those saying that Teller was traded because he was not as good in pass blocking, he is rated above our guards in pass blocking as well according to PFF.

I do recall that Teller was well liked among his fellow players on the Bills.  I cannot say why he was traded rather than someone else -- too bad they did not trade Spain instead.  

Given that Teller really excels in run blocking (and is rated a better pass blocker), it would have been nice to have him on the team - especially given the state of our running game.  Teams have to make tough decisions and, as with many things in life, we sometimes wish we did one thing rather than another.

Although the above is true, we are in the AFC Championship Game and one game away from the Super Bowl . . . so things are not so bad.  😀  

20 minutes ago, Peter said:

FWIW - to those saying that Teller was traded because he was not as good in pass blocking, he is rated above our guards in pass blocking as well according to PFF.

I do recall that Teller was well liked among his fellow players on the Bills.  I cannot say why he was traded rather than someone else -- too bad they did not trade Spain instead.  

Given that Teller really excels in run blocking (and is rated a better pass blocker), it would have been nice to have him on the team - especially given the state of our running game.  Teams have to make tough decisions and, as with many things in life, we sometimes wish we did one thing rather than another.

Although the above is true, we are in the AFC Championship Game and one game away from the Super Bowl . . . so things are not so bad.  😀  

Its hard to say what happens if stays. Blocking schemes are very important, much like coverage schemes for DBs. One size doesn't fit all. 

You can only keep 53 plus 10 on the PS.

He would not be a PS player for long as he would get claimed.

The only thing you can do is trade the player and get some value.

Beane drafted the guy he knew he had potential.

Watched him every single snap yesterday.  I've seen him several times this year.  Much more yesterday.

Absolutely nothing special in pass pro at all.  Most of the game no one was lined up on him...so he was either picking up blitzes, helping with stunts, or double teaming.  Feet aren't great and I wasn't impressed with how he did any of those things.  Benefits from being next to 2 all pros. 

His run blocking was OK.  He's better suited to be on a team that will run it half the time.  

As mentioned here already if you can't pass protect in this offense you're expendable.