The Bills Collection of Offensive Weapons No One Else Wanted

jwhit34

McBeane has done a great job all around finding talent with lesser resources. In 2019 he rebuilt the Oline with only one major free agency addition (Mitch) and one high draft pick (Ford who hasn't put it together yet). He got Spain and Mongo to be starting caliber guards on the cheap and signed Ty to a mid level deal to be a decent RT.

McBeane in 2020 then found D.Willaims as the ultimate reclamation project at RT and developed Ike to handle Spain's duties once he imploded and Ford got hurt. 

If you look all around this roster you see a lot of great value findings. T.Johnson is a Nickel corner who was a 4th round pick, Levi Wallace was undradted and is starting opposite Tre, and Poyer was a complete out of nowhere lower mid-level signing at one of the safety positions.

Finding guys who are lesser heralded and turning them into productive players is how you build a Super Bowl contender.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

A great QB will elevate wide receivers who would otherwise seem good or above average.

THIS

Diggs is elite.  Did people consider him elite in Minnesota... talk of him being THE best WR in the NFL?

Nah, not with Cousins and whoever else, they didn't.  Through no fault of his own, he was held down by the scheme and QB play. 

Give Diggs all the love in the world, because he deserves it, but those with an agenda love to act like he made Josh Allen into what he's become.  They helped make each other into what they are.  There's a reason why every team playing for a Conference Championship has an elite QB and an elite WR1.  Exception being Tampa Bay who doesn't have an elite WR1, instead they just have 3 normal WR1's. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

McBeane has done a great job all around finding talent with lesser resources. In 2019 he rebuilt the Oline with only one major free agency addition (Mitch) and one high draft pick (Ford who hasn't put it together yet). He got Spain and Mongo to be starting caliber guards on the cheap and signed Ty to a mid level deal to be a decent RT.

McBeane in 2020 then found D.Willaims as the ultimate reclamation project at RT and developed Ike to handle Spain's duties once he imploded and Ford got hurt. 

If you look all around this roster you see a lot of great value findings. T.Johnson is a Nickel corner who was a 4th round pick, Levi Wallace was undradted and is starting opposite Tre, and Poyer was a complete out of nowhere lower mid-level signing at one of the safety positions.

Finding guys who are lesser heralded and turning them into productive players is how you build a Super Bowl contender.

True. Let's not forget the big guys like Williams and Mongo.

This is the best pass protecting O line in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Keep them together at all costs.

Elite QB + Elite pass blocking OL + Elite WR Room = Super Bowl Contenders year in/year out.   

Make it work at RB/TE and scheme up the Defense around a handful of cornerstone players.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, T master said:

Only 2 on your list i think fits your post and 1 is Smoke the other Mckenzie.

Beasley from what i remember didn't care for it in Dallas (can't blame him) because he felt he wasn't getting enough playing time or cash and who would really want to work for JJ all the time that guy is a jerk ask Jimmy Johnson .

I haven't had personal interactions with him but have worked inside Jerry World and personally known people that have while there that were on the same crew with me and have said he was a absolute jack ass and i believe them because i worked with them guys for 2 yrs .

The Bills wanted Gabe it's just that he was in a draft that was loaded with WR talent and he didn't go till the later rounds which is the same as Diggs .

The Vikings HC said he wasn't looking to get rid of Diggs but couldn't turn down the Bills offer Diggs had made it known for what ever reason that he wasn't truly happy there the Vikings way may have had a lot to do with it the Bills are more family type or real close friendships ??

Isaiah don't know a lot about him and if he was cut then to your point then yes he probably fits your post . There are always talented players that for what ever reason don't fit a scheme or don't like the way a coach goes about his business there could be many reasons .

I think Smoke is the one that wanted to leave Baltimore because he saw how little they were gonna throw with Jackson.  

IIRC the Broncos wanted to keep Mckenzie and brought him up to active roster when Bills tried to sign him off their PS. I think they tried to sneak him back on the PS a little while later and bills stole him. 

6 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

There were actually very few "big ticket" acquisitions in free agency or via trade from 2017 to 2020. Star, Addison and Mitch were big contracts but other than that the AAV of the contracts were pretty modest and we all know Diggs was a big trade acquisition. But other than that if you look at the aav of key players acquired you will see a very modest set of acquisitions. Very few 10 million aav big time signings. A lot of players brought in at the 5-9 million aav range.

Honestly I don't think the success can be put on any one guy. The entire offense genuinely likes playing with one another and they love their coaches. The WRs bought the WR coach a new truck and have professed their love for Daboll.

So all in all you play your best when you are comfortable and having fun. Not rocket science, just sometimes it's hard to get the right attitudes/talent level in the same room. We are in that situation, we should enjoy it and realize it's a collective unit, not an individual, which is awesome. 

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

When you look at the overall success rates of draft picks, I'm sure you can find the same level of lower and undrafted players on every team.  I will agree it is rather unusual to see them all in one position group.

Direct reflection on JA for raising the level of talent around him. 
   I would also credit Diggs for instilling a different level of professionalism to the whole group. Last year we led the leagues in drops. I don’t think Diggs tolerated half-assing  it on ANY plays and that is a huge addition of veteran leadership.

4 hours ago, Dukestreetking said:

Like the Island of Misfit Toys?

Edit for OP @jwhit34: meant this in a humorous way. I mean, think about the characters...

King Moonraker=Beane, Clarice=Kim Pegula, Coach Comet=Obvious; Hermey=Josh Allen; Rudolph=Diggs, the misunderstood reindeer who can fly.

Don't know if we have a Yukon Cornelius though.

Isn't Yukon Cornelius = Daboll?  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, qbford8 said:

I do voice to text I can’t ***** sit there and type on the phone like Its just so annoying so that’s why there’s no grammar is there a way for me to get my phone to do grammar on its own?  Sorry mafia 

I've done voice to text a fair amount too and understand the lack of punctuation.  But what you can do before hitting send, go back and manually proofread and just add in periods, paragraphs etc.

If you don't have the time to do that, then probably best not bother even texting as sorry, but doubt anyone has the ability to actually read that mess.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

THIS

Diggs is elite.  Did people consider him elite in Minnesota... talk of him being THE best WR in the NFL?

Nah, not with Cousins and whoever else, they didn't.  Through no fault of his own, he was held down by the scheme and QB play. 

Give Diggs all the love in the world, because he deserves it, but those with an agenda love to act like he made Josh Allen into what he's become.  They helped make each other into what they are.  There's a reason why every team playing for a Conference Championship has an elite QB and an elite WR1.  Exception being Tampa Bay who doesn't have an elite WR1, instead they just have 3 normal WR1's. 

Mike Evans is elite when healthy

11 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I've done voice to text a fair amount too and understand the lack of punctuation.  But what you can do before hitting send, go back and manually proofread and just add in periods, paragraphs etc.

If you don't have the time to do that, then probably best not bother even texting as sorry, but doubt anyone has the ability to actually read that mess.

Don't some voice to text things let you say period for . And question mark for ? Etc. I don't use it, but it would make sense to have that functionality 

7 hours ago, qbford8 said:

I do voice to text I can’t ***** sit there and type on the phone like Its just so annoying so that’s why there’s no grammar is there a way for me to get my phone to do grammar on its own?  Sorry mafia 

I'm pretty sure you can still use voice commands to do punctuation and whatnot.  I occasionally hear my disabled friend say "period" at his phone and I don't think he means it like "end of story" heh.

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This thread is a STRETTTTTTTTTTTCH and a half.

Unwanted was a starting QB/WR corps of 7th round Ryan Fitzpatrick, 6th round Stevie Johnson and undrafteds Donald Jones and David Nelson.

All the current Bills were very much wanted players.........it's not like Diggs, Brown and Beasley are playing for peanuts that's about $30M in compensation right there.  

Davis was a second or third round talent that fell to round 4 only because the draft was incredibly deep at WR.

I entirely agree with your larger point,  but Gabe Davis seemed to be regarded as a fourth rounder before the draft. The scouting profiles are all pretty similar: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/gabriel-davis/32194441-5632-9675-38f5-3e009da4e98e (this one gives a 4th round projection).  Also: https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/gabriel-davis/LzTQiqevVH.

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I entirely agree with your larger point,  but Gabe Davis seemed to be regarded as a fourth rounder before the draft. The scouting profiles are all pretty similar: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/gabriel-davis/32194441-5632-9675-38f5-3e009da4e98e (this one gives a 4th round projection).  Also: https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/gabriel-davis/LzTQiqevVH.

Oh definitely.........Davis wasn't drafted earlier than expected.........it's just that it was possibly the deepest WR draft ever.    Most years.......especially a few of those lean ones right after 2014........he's likely a second or third.   

1 hour ago, jlgarsh said:

Don't some voice to text things let you say period for . And question mark for ? Etc. I don't use it, but it would make sense to have that functionality 

I believe it does as I use to hear my boss from about 3 offices away dictating on his Samsung phone blah blah blah (period)  La la la (question mark) or whatever.  I don't do it often enough to bother, instead I just go back and manually insert all the punctuation I want/need.

• Like (+1) 1