The Bills Collection of Offensive Weapons No One Else Wanted

jwhit34

It is interesting to hear many talk about how great the BIlls' weapons are in the pass game. It's amazing that it is a collection of WRs that in some way no one else wanted:

Stefon Diggs:  A 5th round pick, granted the Bills gave up a first round pick plus others (which may or may not amount to anything) but at some level Minnesota decided they didn't need him anymore and wasn't part of their future so they traded him.

John Brown: Originally a low 3rd rounder, both Arizona and Baltimore didn't see the need to retain him (and it wasn't like there was a logjam at WR in Baltimore).

Cole Beasley: Undrafted FA, he had a very good career at Dallas and they had a lot of WRs, but still it wasn't like he was a super hot free agent two years ago

Gabriel Davis: 4th rounder

Isaiah McKenzie: 5th rounder, cut by Denver, waiver claim

Credit the talent evaluators for seeing something in each of them, the coaches for figuring out how to use their talents and out how to make them mesh, and mostly the players themselves for taking full advantage of their opportunity in Buffalo (and that of course includes Josh Allen). It's pretty neat.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

It is interesting to hear many talk about how great the BIlls' weapons are in the pass game. It's amazing that it is a collection of WRs that in some way no one else wanted:

Stefon Diggs:  A 5th round pick, granted the Bills gave up a first round pick plus others (which may or may not amount to anything) but at some level Minnesota decided they didn't need him anymore and wasn't part of their future so they traded him.

John Brown: Originally a low 3rd rounder, both Arizona and Baltimore didn't see the need to retain him (and it wasn't like there was a logjam at WR in Baltimore).

Cole Beasley: Undrafted FA, he had a very good career at Dallas and they had a lot of WRs, but still it wasn't like he was a super hot free agent two years ago

Credit the talent evaluators for seeing something in each of them, the coaches for figuring out how to use their talents and out how to make them mesh, and mostly the players themselves for taking full advantage of their opportunity in Buffalo (and that of course includes Josh Allen). It's pretty neat.

Only 2 on your list i think fits your post and 1 is Smoke the other Mckenzie.

Beasley from what i remember didn't care for it in Dallas (can't blame him) because he felt he wasn't getting enough playing time or cash and who would really want to work for JJ all the time that guy is a jerk ask Jimmy Johnson .

I haven't had personal interactions with him but have worked inside Jerry World and personally known people that have while there that were on the same crew with me and have said he was a absolute jack ass and i believe them because i worked with them guys for 2 yrs .

The Bills wanted Gabe it's just that he was in a draft that was loaded with WR talent and he didn't go till the later rounds which is the same as Diggs .

The Vikings HC said he wasn't looking to get rid of Diggs but couldn't turn down the Bills offer Diggs had made it known for what ever reason that he wasn't truly happy there the Vikings way may have had a lot to do with it the Bills are more family type or real close friendships ??

Isaiah don't know a lot about him and if he was cut then to your point then yes he probably fits your post . There are always talented players that for what ever reason don't fit a scheme or don't like the way a coach goes about his business there could be many reasons .

16 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

When you look at the overall success rates of draft picks, I'm sure you can find the same level of lower and undrafted players on every team.  I will agree it is rather unusual to see them all in one position group.

Yeah every team has one or two But the bills are consistently Drafting well for the last three years pretty much all the pics hit  and the free agents they get actually everybody they try to bring in the type of character and love for the game is perfect you can’t put a price tag on the chemistry a when I saw them dancing at the practice before the Colts game I literally felt like that was it I felt like they would win the Super Bowl we will see you know at this point every team is good Kansas City is not easy but none of the games they played are easy but they play for each other they love each other they love the game it’s so enjoyable to watch yeah there are a guy or two on each team but our team has in abundance of guys who got overlooked obviously I’m not talking about our early pics but you look at Levi taron  Cleveland let poyer go Andre Roberts he beat us by himself the year before he signed with us with the Jets obviously Beasley brown Milano was a 5th I think Dawson Huxx never scored a touchdown in college even McDermitthe nfl.com thing with him is the worst hiring that year like I said it has a lot to do with them loving each other loving the game and buying into the process chemistry is so important and it’s really never talked about but it’s probably the most important thing when it comes to winning And when I say chemistry I don’t mean timing on past routes that comes with practice the repetition I’m talking about chemistry between the guys how much they enjoy each other

2 minutes ago, qbford8 said:

Yeah every team has one or two But the bills are consistently Drafting well for the last three years pretty much all the pics hit  and the free agents they get actually everybody they try to bring in the type of character and love for the game is perfect you can’t put a price tag on the chemistry a when I saw them dancing at the practice before the Colts game I literally felt like that was it I felt like they would win the Super Bowl we will see you know at this point every team is good Kansas City is not easy but none of the games they played are easy but they play for each other they love each other they love the game it’s so enjoyable to watch yeah there are a guy or two on each team but our team has in abundance of guys who got overlooked obviously I’m not talking about our early pics but you look at Levi taron  Cleveland let poyer go Andre Roberts he beat us by himself the year before he signed with us with the Jets obviously Beasley brown Milano was a 5th I think Dawson Huxx never scored a touchdown in college even McDermitthe nfl.com thing with him is the worst hiring that year like I said it has a lot to do with them loving each other loving the game and buying into the process chemistry is so important and it’s really never talked about but it’s probably the most important thing when it comes to winning And when I say chemistry I don’t mean timing on past routes that comes with practice the repetition I’m talking about chemistry between the guys how much they enjoy each other

Good God I stopped reading after the 3rd line.  There is something called a carriage return!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m not quite sure what that means  but Let’s go billsI Our front office is amazing this is very sustainable because of that and of course having a great quarterback let’s go Buffalo.  One day I’ll tell the story of how I became a bills fan at the  young age of five years old I am 36 now so if you can figure out what year that was the story’s  is pretty cool.  Sorry if there long winded responses I’m just absolutely on cloud nine with this team

3 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Beat me to it! An occasional period would make the longest sentence in the world readable.

I do voice to text I can’t ***** sit there and type on the phone like Its just so annoying so that’s why there’s no grammar is there a way for me to get my phone to do grammar on its own?  Sorry mafia 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jwhit34 said:

The Josh Allen Effect

Josh Allen makes his WRs

26 minutes ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

A great QB will elevate wide receivers who would otherwise seem good or above average.

Bingo.

Josh Allen makes his WRs

The OP just laid out The Josh Allen Effect

• Like (+1) 1

Like the Island of Misfit Toys?

Edit for OP @jwhit34: meant this in a humorous way. I mean, think about the characters...

King Moonraker=Beane, Clarice=Kim Pegula, Coach Comet=Obvious; Hermey=Josh Allen; Rudolph=Diggs, the misunderstood reindeer who can fly.

Don't know if we have a Yukon Cornelius though.

Edited by Dukestreetking
S**ts & Giggles; clarity
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Like the Island of Misfit Toys?

I swear to God, there is a certain type of Bills fan that absolutely DEMANDS a total lack of respect from everyone and everything around them!  They just can't function without it!

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I swear to God, there is a certain type of Bills fan that absolutely DEMANDS a total lack of respect from everyone and everything around them!  They just can't function without it!

And there is another type who just can’t stand that!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

The Josh Allen Effect

Josh Allen makes his WRs

Bingo.

Josh Allen makes his WRs

The OP just laid out The Josh Allen Effect

But many talking heads are saying that the receivers made Josh & if only Lamar had them.....🙄

Of course we did draft Zay Jones.....  

Very simply every receiver the Bills have traded, let go or left the past 4 years have pretty much disappeared (except and let's not start an argument, because he has been paid Watkins).

This thread is a STRETTTTTTTTTTTCH and a half.

Unwanted was a starting QB/WR corps of 7th round Ryan Fitzpatrick, 6th round Stevie Johnson and undrafteds Donald Jones and David Nelson.

All the current Bills were very much wanted players.........it's not like Diggs, Brown and Beasley are playing for peanuts that's about $30M in compensation right there.  

Davis was a second or third round talent that fell to round 4 only because the draft was incredibly deep at WR.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

We out bid Dallas on Cole. John Brown got a pretty good contract.

The national narrative has been that Allen is succeeding because he's been surrounded by talent at the WR position.  The data I've assembled here would support the explanation that Allen has elevated the play of the receivers on his team.  Every receiver's production is up measurably from their production on previous teams.  

image.png.406a80b4428143129146b1095c64d256.png

I agree that we have a talented pool of receivers, but the main reason for Josh's success is the improved play of Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3