If Mahomes doesn't play, the Bills will win but if Mahomes plays

DollaBills

We need a journalist to actually do some journalism and talk to medical personnel at the Chiefs to get some clarification.

Andy Reid is clearly not a neurologist.

Here's his quote after the game on Sunday:

“He got hit in the back of the head and it kind of knocked the wind out of him and everything else with it, so we took him out,” Reid told reporters on Sunday afternoon, via Yahoo Sports’ Terez Paylor. “He’s doing great right now, which is a real positive as we looked at this. [He] passed all the deals that he needed to pass. So, we’ll see where it goes from here.”

Thanks Andy!  He got the wind knocked out of him but now he passed some deals.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Nextmanup said:

We need a journalist to actually do some journalism and talk to medical personnel at the Chiefs to get some clarification.

“He got hit in the back of the head and it kind of knocked the wind out of him and everything else with it, so we took him out,” Reid told reporters on Sunday afternoon, via Yahoo Sports’ Terez Paylor. “He’s doing great right now, which is a real positive as we looked at this. [He] passed all the deals that he needed to pass. So, we’ll see where it goes from here.”

Wouldn't you just rather play their best and beat their best?

If you're not the best team so be it.    Bring on the best there is and go beat them.    Then you can hold your head high and know you deserve it.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Amaru523 said:

I would rather Mahomes plays, I'm afraid if he doesn't everyone will pick the Bills and our players will overlook the Chiefs and blow it.  I've already seen the Chiefs as 2.5 point favs with PM, 3.5 point dogs without him, that's a huge swing. Plus I think we can take them, even if Mahomes is 100% because if he plays, NO ONE outside of Bills Mafia will give us a chance and our guys feed of that negativity.

In our last 12 games, the Bills are 11-1 with 8 wins by double digits, the Chiefs are also 11-1, but only 2 wins by double digits.

The Bills are NOT overlooking anyone.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Wouldn't you just rather play their best and beat their best?

If you're not the best team so be it.    Bring on the best there is and go beat them.    Then you can hold your head high and know you deserve it.

Absolutely not!  That sentiment is idiotic.

I'd rather guarantee safe passage to the Super Bowl.

If you want to beat the best, just remember we are going to have to play (probably) Aaron Rodgers and a lights out GB team.  You can enjoy the "challenge" of that.

• Dislike 1

Other than the fans of the two teams playing in an AFCCG, no one will remember if player X is injured or not in a year...Super Bowls are what people remember.  To that end, if I were a Bills fan, I wouldn't want to see Mahomes.  It's not like anyone is going to think the Bills aren't a deserving team if they won a game Mahomes didn't play and made it to the Superbowl...

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, BigPappy said:

Respectfully, I have to disagree 1000% on this. They have taken a lot of heat about concussions and concussion protocols. There is no way they will pressure the independent doctor that reviews and tests Mahomes into giving him the go. That doctor would also be committing career suicide to allow it to happen. They let him play and he hasn't actually cleared protocols and then gets hurt even worse the fallout from that will be catastrophic. Especially with it being Mahomes, who is undeniably the face of the NFL right now.  

If what you are saying is true, there would be A LOT more uncertainty and nervousness this morning about Patrick Mahomes playing next week.  

• Less than 24 hours ago, following the on-field collision, Mahomes was unable to stand on his own and had a dazed look in his eyes.  The Chiefs later confirmed to CBS reporters that he indeed suffered a concussion, and declared him out... in the midst of a close playoff game.  
  • Andy Reid suggested after the game that Mahomes "passed" concussion protocols, even though that would be impossible so soon.  The NFL requires a 5-step process of gradually increasing activity during the week, while being monitored by doctors.
  • The average length of being out for a concussion is 19 DAYS.

Following this train of logic, the only person on this planet with the slightest clue whether Mahomes can play is the neurologist examining him.  Not the Chiefs staff.  And even that doctor won't know until the middle of the week, after observing his progress during physical activity.

Further more... based on what we've seen with other (non superstar) players in (non championship) games when it comes to concussions, the odds of Mahomes playing on Sunday is extremely low.  Yet if you listen to the NFL reporters this morning, most are expecting him to play.  Andy Reid clearly expects him to play.  Mahomes himself clearly expects to play.  

The NFL does not care about player safety.  They implemented these concussion rules to avoid another lawsuit.  But if Mahomes and the Chiefs agree to keep this hush-hush behind the scenes, don't doubt for a second that an "independent" doctor wouldn't let him play.  And everyone knows it.

1 minute ago, Zerovoltz said:

Other than the fans of the two teams playing in an AFCCG, no one will remember if player X is injured or not in a year...Super Bowls are what people remember.  To that end, if I were a Bills fan, I wouldn't want to see Mahomes.  It's not like anyone is going to think the Bills aren't a deserving team if they won a game Mahomes didn't play and made it to the Superbowl...

You're not. I am. As a Bills fan, I will say I have absolutely no problem with our team facing the Chiefs with Patrick Mahomes playing. It is what I prefer. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DollaBills said:

I would much rather be underdogs and get 0 respect. Remember the seahawks game? Every single analyst picked Seattle. I want to come out swinging and give them no chance

You I prefer not to back into the Super Bowl. Let’s win some respect along the way to the Lombardi.  Even if Mahomes plays and then loses there are going to be the Chiefs apologists. Let the Cheats* have their asterisks. I am not interested in one.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Amaru523 said:

I would rather Mahomes plays, I'm afraid if he doesn't everyone will pick the Bills and our players will overlook the Chiefs and blow it.  I've already seen the Chiefs as 2.5 point favs with PM, 3.5 point dogs without him, that's a huge swing. Plus I think we can take them, even if Mahomes is 100% because if he plays, NO ONE outside of Bills Mafia will give us a chance and our guys feed of that negativity.

In our last 12 games, the Bills are 11-1 with 8 wins by double digits, the Chiefs are also 11-1, but only 2 wins by double digits.

Do you honestly think this team would overlook the defending SuperBowl Champions in the AFC Championship game with 2 weeks to prepare for the next game if you win?!  They will be 100% focused on this game, regardless of who the QB will be.  (p.s. It WILL be Mahomes)

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Apparently Mahomes has much bigger medical issues if his diaphragm is in the back of his head.  How do you knock the wind out of someone by hitting them in the back of the head?

30 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Correct.  There have been favorites entering the playoffs that have been upset in great part due to injury or illness and that part really isn't remembered.    And since it's a violent game where availability is the most important ability then I suppose that makes sense.

The best Steelers team of their 70's dynasty was probably the 1976 team.  Possibly the best defense in NFL history and 5th in the NFL in scoring that season.    They had two 1,000 yard rushers in Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier........but both were injured in a 40-14 annihilation of the Colts in round 1 and without them they lost to the Raiders 24-7 in the AFC title game.    All we remember are those NFL films images of Willie Brown sealing the SB XI victory for Oakland over the Vikings.    Before that Oakland's legacy was "just lose in the playoffs, baby". 

image.png.de23871dc01e90dd1bd5e4779ead698b.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, TBBills said:

I doubt the NFL will let a concussion keep Mahomes from playing. He will magically be out of protocol by gameday.

No matter what he is going to be banged up if he plays. Not only is he coming off a concussion but he also dinged his foot earlier in the game. He is still super dangerous banged up but hopefully just a little less so.

I want them to play their best. If their best are at less than 100% so be it, ours are too. 

1 hour ago, chknwing334 said:

Apparently Mahomes has much bigger medical issues if his diaphragm is in the back of his head.  How do you knock the wind out of someone by hitting them in the back of the head?

I think it has to do with how he was taken down. Its possible he got his air supply cut off briefly by the angle of his neck on the tackle? The guy basically DDTd him. The hit was really disrespectful actually. 

9 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

I want them to play their best. If their best are at less than 100% so be it, ours are too. 

I think it has to do with how he was taken down. Its possible he got his air supply cut off briefly by the angle of his neck on the tackle? The guy basically DDTd him. The hit was really disrespectful actually. 

It probably is; would that brief disruption result him in not knowing where he is and completely losing his balance for quite a while?  NO.