If Mahomes doesn't play, the Bills will win but if Mahomes plays

DollaBills

10 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

The greatest outrage in history that guy got a ring and Kelly didnt!! 

Brad Johnson

Trent Dilfer

Mark Rypien

Joe Flacco

Nick Foles

All of them can't carry Jimbo's jock. Goes to show you there are so many other factors besides QB play.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

This is a cover story of sorts.

No, he didn't hit his head.  His head violently accelerated and then decelerated causing enough inertia for his brain to smack the inside of his skull.  Which is how concussion work.

If it was a "nerve" and he was just "out of it" why is he in CONCUSSION PROTOCOL now?

He should be cleared to play as the nerve issue is over now.

He's in the protocol b/c he got a concussion.

The fact that he moved through Phase 1 means nothing.

He has a long way to go and he has to clear an independent neurologist before he can play.

KC is clearly pushing him in the "oh, he's fine" direction.

Let's hope the ind. neurologist does their job.

In 29 QB concussions from 2015-2019, the MEDIAN return time was 7 days.  Some shorter some much longer.

Again.   It is not a clear cut or normal concussion.  See my post in the other thread.  A few sources (pat McAfee being one) as saying its what Crosby had where he missed a year. 

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

If what you are saying is true, there would be A LOT more uncertainty and nervousness this morning about Patrick Mahomes playing next week.  

Less than 24 hours ago, following the on-field collision, Mahomes was unable to stand on his own and had a dazed look in his eyes.  The Chiefs later confirmed to CBS reporters that he indeed suffered a concussion, and declared him out... in the midst of a close playoff game.  

• Andy Reid suggested after the game that Mahomes "passed" concussion protocols, even though that would be impossible so soon.  The NFL requires a 5-step process of gradually increasing activity during the week, while being monitored by doctors.
  • The average length of being out for a concussion is 19 DAYS.

Following this train of logic, the only person on this planet with the slightest clue whether Mahomes can play is the neurologist examining him.  Not the Chiefs staff.  And even that doctor won't know until the middle of the week, after observing his progress during physical activity.

Further more... based on what we've seen with other (non superstar) players in (non championship) games when it comes to concussions, the odds of Mahomes playing on Sunday is extremely low.  Yet if you listen to the NFL reporters this morning, most are expecting him to play.  Andy Reid clearly expects him to play.  Mahomes himself clearly expects to play.  

The NFL does not care about player safety.  They implemented these concussion rules to avoid another lawsuit.  But if Mahomes and the Chiefs agree to keep this hush-hush behind the scenes, don't doubt for a second that an "independent" doctor wouldn't let him play.  And everyone knows it.

That is factually incorrect. They never confirmed that he had a concussion. They only confirmed that he was in concussion protocol and therefore unable to finish the game.

Also, I am hearing that it ended up being a pinched nerve in the neck which would exude similar symptoms, but also puts his playing up in the air for Sunday. This information would fall in line with Reid's comments after the game when he said he appeared to be doing much better.

I won't argue your point regarding the NFL caring about the players as neither our opinion matters. The just simply differ.

Either way I think we are looking at Mahomes at 90 percent or worse.  He is banged up and an injury like this is going to make him think twice before moving around like he usually does.  I won't be shocked if he plays and puts in a very sub par performance.

19 hours ago, nucci said:

Yes, there I go again. I feel the team is motivated to get to the Superbowl and ignoring everything but preparing to play. How much extra motivation do you need to play in the AFC Championship game? 

The Bills social media department has even been trolling all the moronic National talking heads wrong takes the past few days as well. So I’d say it’s safe to say the organization as a whole is sick of the national disrespect. They obviously got the ok from someone high up to produce the troll videos they’ve produced the last few days. 

Well whether it was a concussion or a blow to his carotid and jugular doesn’t matter.  He may come back, and yes a blow to the carotid and jugular can mimick concussion symptoms.  Just ask someone who is a martial arts expert.  I honestly don’t care as I just hope he is ok.  An independent Neuro will decide whether he plays.  He also as mentioned had a toe injury so he may be limited in his mobility.

Even if he plays, I still believe we can beat them as they are not playing at the top of their game.  We are and are very healthy.  It will be a great game either way.  I give us 65% chance we win.  They are a great team and the SB champs.

53 minutes ago, Billznut said:

The Bills social media department has even been trolling all the moronic National talking heads wrong takes the past few days as well. So I’d say it’s safe to say the organization as a whole is sick of the national disrespect. They obviously got the ok from someone high up to produce the troll videos they’ve produced the last few days. 

National disrespect? You're really reaching. Did you hear Collingsworth praise the Bills all game...The NBC guys talking how good the Bills are....you guys look for negative stuff about the Bills instead of enjoying a great win and one game from the Superbowl. And people call me miserable

5 minutes ago, nucci said:

National disrespect? You're really reaching. Did you hear Collingsworth praise the Bills all game...The NBC guys talking how good the Bills are....you guys look for negative stuff about the Bills instead of enjoying a great win and one game from the Superbowl. And people call me miserable

I enjoyed the game just fine thanks. I take it you haven’t seen what I’m referring to by the Bills social media dept. I was commenting on them. I could care less what national pundits want to make fools of themselves. Good for them. Just pointing out a few at One Bills Drive are calling out some of the bad ones. Good for them. 

19 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

The Bills are NOT overlooking anyone.

19 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Do you honestly think this team would overlook the defending SuperBowl Champions in the AFC Championship game with 2 weeks to prepare for the next game if you win?!  They will be 100% focused on this game, regardless of who the QB will be.  (p.s. It WILL be Mahomes)

I would sure hope not, but just about everyone had the Bills beating the Colts and we saw a pretty pathetic performance on defense, but then everyone had us losing to the Ravens and the defense shut them down. Seems to me like there's the possibility they could get a little over-confident if they face Henne instead of Mahomes.  Sports history is full of big games where a heavily favored team lost because they thought all they had to do was show up to win.  If Mahomes plays, no one will give the Bills a chance, but if Henne plays no one will give the Chiefs a chance.

Edited by Amaru523

1 minute ago, Amaru523 said:

I would sure hope not, but just about everyone had the Bills beating the Colts and we saw a pretty pathetic performance on defense, but then everyone had us losing to the Ravens and the defense shut them down. Seems to me like there's the possibility they could get a little over-confident if they face Henne instead of Mahomes.  Sports history is full of big games where a heavily favored team lost because they thought all they had to do was show up to win.  

Yeah, but in fairness, the Colts are, in my opinion, a much better all around team than the Ravens, especially on offense.  The Ravens are too reliant on Lamar breaking contain and if you can take that away, they struggle. That being said, we have yet to play a complete game so far in the playoffs and I certainly hope we will see it this weekend.  

• Agree 1

On 1/18/2021 at 6:17 AM, judman said:

FromPeter King’s FMIA:

“Kansas City’s last eight victories: 2, 4, 3, 6, 6, 3, 3, 5.”

PM had the kind of woozy concussion that was super visible. A bad look for him, and quite possibly a bad look for the NFL if he sails through protocol. 

Then there’s his toe... that’s gonna nag him. 

it does seem that KC lets teams hang around.  if we play like we have been playing, we can beat anyone.  Let's do it!!!!