If Mahomes doesn't play, the Bills will win but if Mahomes plays

DollaBills

22 minutes ago, Magox said:

There you go again.

It does give them extra motivation, the Bills relish making themselves out to be the underdogs, McDermott has said as much and Hughes just recently said the same thing.  They watch the TV “expert” talking heads and they use that as additional motivation to face their opponents.  Things aren’t nearly as linear as you believe them to be.

Yes, there I go again. I feel the team is motivated to get to the Superbowl and ignoring everything but preparing to play. How much extra motivation do you need to play in the AFC Championship game? 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, TBBills said:

I doubt the NFL will let a concussion keep Mahomes from playing. He will magically be out of protocol by gameday.

Respectfully, I have to disagree 1000% on this. They have taken a lot of heat about concussions and concussion protocols. There is no way they will pressure the independent doctor that reviews and tests Mahomes into giving him the go. That doctor would also be committing career suicide to allow it to happen. They let him play and he hasn't actually cleared protocols and then gets hurt even worse the fallout from that will be catastrophic. Especially with it being Mahomes, who is undeniably the face of the NFL right now.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

I would rather Mahomes plays, I'm afraid if he doesn't everyone will pick the Bills and our players will overlook the Chiefs and blow it.  I've already seen the Chiefs as 2.5 point favs with PM, 3.5 point dogs without him, that's a huge swing. Plus I think we can take them, even if Mahomes is 100% because if he plays, NO ONE outside of Bills Mafia will give us a chance and our guys feed of that negativity.

In our last 12 games, the Bills are 11-1 with 8 wins by double digits, the Chiefs are also 11-1, but only 2 wins by double digits.

Edited by Amaru523
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, nucci said:

Yes, there I go again. I feel the team is motivated to get to the Superbowl and ignoring everything but preparing to play. How much extra motivation do you need to play in the AFC Championship game? 

I am with you but then I am not a very emotionally driven person. I think you prepare because you are committed to the process that facilitates winning. However, I know some people like to have an emotional reaction to drive them on. And "everyone is against us" can help drive that emotional reaction. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, A Firm Tree Does Not Fear said:

if he plays, the bills win.

if he doesn't play, the bills win.

so far, what team has stopped them from reaching the final dance?

kc is not stopping them.

if he doesn't play, the bills win

And when the Bills win all we'll hear is how Mahomes didn't play or didn't play well because he was hurt. 

And.....jimmy crack corn and I don't care......

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

They're saying it's more of having his breathing stopped than a concussion. Makes sense to me, honestly. I kept looking at all the replays and never saw a hard impact to the head.

I wouldn't mind if his ankle's still cranky, though.

I don’t understand how having his airway blocked for a few seconds would result in him losing all balance and not knowing what planet he was on. It’s not like someone had him in a chokehold for any amount of time. It sounds like people are grasping at any alternative to a concussion (not you, but the people that are inventing this narrative.). 

• Like (+1) 2

I would rather Mahomes plays because it is the right thing to wish the man good health and a speedy recovery.  Anything else risks a violation of karma so great that anything can happen.  A Homerun Throwback.  I have faith in this team regardless of opponent.  And if they fall short, let them leave it all on the field and walk away with heads held high.  And if they triumph let them go to the Super Bowl knowing they just beat a quarterback just as challenging as Rogers or Brady.

Edited by MarlinTheMagician

58 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

if he doesn't play, the bills win

And when the Bills win all we'll hear is how Mahomes didn't play or didn't play well because he was hurt

And.....jimmy crack corn and I don't care......

This will for sure be the narrative if we win against a gimpy Mahomes, however, wasn't he pretty gimpy against the Niners in the SB last year? I'm sure the sports media will have amnesia though.

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

They're saying it's more of having his breathing stopped than a concussion. Makes sense to me, honestly. I kept looking at all the replays and never saw a hard impact to the head.

I wouldn't mind if his ankle's still cranky, though.

I watched it over tons of times and I just don't think that makes sense (the loss of breathing).

You never saw an impact to the head because there wasn't one.

Watch the video again and watch for a violent and sudden deceleration of his head instead.

His head whipped toward the ground but never hit it.  It still whipped down and STOPPED, largely b/c his head is attached to his body and there are limits to the mobility of his neck.

There was still a ton of inertia there and plenty of chance for his brain to slam into the skull.

The whole thing was over so quickly and he was at the limit of his mobility so briefly I just don't buy that he lost enough oxygen for enough time to become woozy and dizzy.

I think he had a more traditional concussion, though you can be sure KC will try to play up the "he lost some oxygen for a moment, he's fine" angle in the media wars.

Let's just pray the independent medial expert does his/her job.

If I am right and it was a traditional concussion, we have an outstanding shot at him NOT playing in the game Sunday.  It's too soon relative to how MOST of these play out.

Mahomes has also had a similar concussion some years ago, so this is not his first.  That may add to his healing time too.  In fact, it should, but it's very hard to predict these things.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

C'mon! It's not like Henne is Jeff Hostetler, right?

Ironically enough, rewatched the Bills 1993 divisional game against the Raiders, and who should be QBing them but none other than Jeff Hostetler! The Bills got some small measure of revenge back against him that day, winning 29-23 in -25 deg windchill...

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Looking more like it was not a concussion which is what I said when it happened. 

This is a cover story of sorts.

No, he didn't hit his head.  His head violently accelerated and then decelerated causing enough inertia for his brain to smack the inside of his skull.  Which is how concussion work.

If it was a "nerve" and he was just "out of it" why is he in CONCUSSION PROTOCOL now?

He should be cleared to play as the nerve issue is over now.

He's in the protocol b/c he got a concussion.

The fact that he moved through Phase 1 means nothing.

He has a long way to go and he has to clear an independent neurologist before he can play.

KC is clearly pushing him in the "oh, he's fine" direction.

Let's hope the ind. neurologist does their job.

In 29 QB concussions from 2015-2019, the MEDIAN return time was 7 days.  Some shorter some much longer.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, TBBills said:

I doubt the NFL will let a concussion keep Mahomes from playing. He will magically be out of protocol by gameday.

He'll be fine with the concussion.........they just gotta' get him sharp for one 3 hour game and drugs can do that.

The turf toe will be the bigger issue.   Limiting his mobility a bit or him being tentative stepping into a throw could make a difference on a few plays.

Funny that they basically tried to keep Mahomes in bubble wrap for a month and he got a season worth of injuries(for a modern NFL QB) in one game........that's NFL football for ya'.

I don't think people should underrate the toll that going very deep in the playoffs for 3 straight seasons has on a team.    The Chiefs have looked tired.

Maybe they get amped up now that there is a real trophy on the line.........and not that the Bills have looked mid-season sharp by any means........ but the Chiefs don't look much like the team that was in the playoffs the last two seasons.

• Like (+1) 1