Have you had your DNA tested?

SDS

DNA testing   

48 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had your DNA tested?

• Yes
    • No

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

I found out (in my 30s - I'm now 50) that neither of my grandfathers was my biological grandfather.

I know the names of both of my biological grandfathers, but I've never been interested in knowing anything about them or their families.

Part of me would like to know more about health histories, but not enough for me to pursue.

The biggest impact this has had on me that I'm actually aware of is that I grew up telling people that I'm Puerto Rican and Italian .... and now I know that the only Italian thing about me is my last name.  This, after giving my son his middle name after my great grandfather's first name (Vincenzo), only to find out that I have no blood relation to him and, obviously, nor does my son.

How much Neanderthal did they find?

My cousins daughter submitted DNA to Ancestry.  Scored a hit that traced a person 10 years younger than me to either my mother or sister.  I didn't buy into it. Got the guys name and traced it on the net. Opened image like OMG looking in a mirror! Never connected though. Later found out from my cousin my sister at 20 had a baby with a very famous Buffalo businessman married about 45 at the time

I've been doing genealogy for 28 years now and I haven't gotten a DNA test yet.

I started off because in 1992 my father was convinced that we were part Native American and I wanted to prove it through research.

Well, I found nothing, zero, nada to prove it at all and now I'm up to thousands of ancestors. Problem is my sister still believes it and if I take the DNA test and it proves my research was true, she'll flip out like she did when I suggested it years ago. 

As an aside, to those of you who found you had different family and it revealed shocking secrets, I really feel for you. That sucks.

7 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I've been doing genealogy for 28 years now and I haven't gotten a DNA test yet.

I started off because in 1992 my father was convinced that we were part Native American and I wanted to prove it through research.

Well, I found nothing, zero, nada to prove it at all and now I'm up to thousands of ancestors. Problem is my sister still believes it and if I take the DNA test and it proves my research was true, she'll flip out like she did when I suggested it years ago. 

As an aside, to those of you who found you had different family and it revealed shocking secrets, I really feel for you. That sucks.

I dunno... I was adopted in 61 and I'm almost sure who fathered me. An aunt has sent me high school photo's of what could possibly be siblings and yeah, we sure do look alike. I'm really tempted to do the 23 thing. This is all back in WNY. Born in Buffalo.

1 minute ago, T&C said:

I dunno... I was adopted in 61 and I'm almost sure who fathered me. An aunt has sent me high school photo's of what could possibly be siblings and yeah, we sure do look alike. I'm really tempted to do the 23 thing. This is all back in WNY. Born in Buffalo.

Well your stress levels considering the DNA testing is different but that's good you are considering it. The people that had NO IDEA their family ties were a lie I can't imagine that thought process.

My mother went to Lew-Port High in the early 60s and she always said it was a great area to grow up in at the time. It's rare to find people on TBD from that era.

40 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Well your stress levels considering the DNA testing is different but that's good you are considering it. The people that had NO IDEA their family ties were a lie I can't imagine that thought process.

My mother went to Lew-Port High in the early 60s and she always said it was a great area to grow up in at the time. It's rare to find people on TBD from that era.

Strange thing is that my Mom  went to high school with the girl/woman who bore me. Out of wedlock children back then were severely frowned upon. Either way, I had/have the best parents anyone would want. One is gone now and the other is 85.

25 minutes ago, T&C said:

Strange thing is that my Mom  went to high school with the girl/woman who bore me. Out of wedlock children back then were severely frowned upon. Either way, I had/have the best parents anyone would want. One is gone now and the other is 85.

That's definitely true... my great aunt was in the same situation in 1909 but her daughter wasn't put up for adoption. I lost my Dad 20 years ago and my Mom is almost 80... that's the one part about getting old that they NEVER told me about is losing so much family. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/18/2021 at 11:32 AM, jburt2625 said:

I was adopted as a baby. No information ever. 42 now. 

Wanted to see what it would tell me about relatives. gave me some good info. I reached out to a few of them but no one ever knew of a family member that gave up a child. Finally last year they passed a law that gave me Original birth certificate. I have since connected to my bio mothers side. Even found out I have 2 bio sisters. Have talked with one quite a bit.

That's cool.  A good friend of ours had 3 daughters while in college (pregnant twice, 2nd time twins), who she gave for adoption because she was putting herself through school working and could no way afford to raise a kid.   She had another child years later, as an established professional, whom she kept and raised as a single parent (the Dad being in another country and having no interest).

About a decade ago she registered with whatever group tries to match birth parents with adopted children, and a few years later her adopted daughters made contact. 

She's met them all now, and the father of one of them (still her friend) also met them.  They wound up attending the wedding of that child and standing up to be recognized as the birth parents.  The others live across the country but she's traveled to meet them.  Pretty cool experience for all of them, definitely enriched their lives.

On 1/18/2021 at 3:27 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Pic unavailable?

Try a different browser.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's cool.  A good friend of ours had 3 daughters while in college (pregnant twice, 2nd time twins), who she gave for adoption because she was putting herself through school working and could no way afford to raise a kid.   She had another child years later, as an established professional, whom she kept and raised as a single parent (the Dad being in another country and having no interest).

About a decade ago she registered with whatever group tries to match birth parents with adopted children, and a few years later her adopted daughters made contact. 

She's met them all now, and the father of one of them (still her friend) also met them.  They wound up attending the wedding of that child and standing up to be recognized as the birth parents.  The others live across the country but she's traveled to meet them.  Pretty cool experience for all of them, definitely enriched their lives.

Try a different browser.

It popped up eventually.

On 1/18/2021 at 9:51 AM, mead107 said:

Had it done 2 years ago. 
no American Indian in me (Mohawk)

was told from young age we had some. 

Family lore can run from almost factual to pure fiction.   Native American ancestry is a very common claim among American family lore, both white and black.   It's complicated because some tribes adopted captives, especially children, into their tribes.

I plan on getting the Ancestry DNA test the next time I see a special deal on it because my family lore on my mother's line is that my grandmother's father or grandfather was a Polish Jew who converted in order to keep/own land.  My grandmother was the only member of her family to leave Poland (arriving in the US about 1920), and her entire family -- she had at least four sisters and a brother -- was butchered by the Nazis early on in the war, although whether that was because they were descended from Jews or because they resisted or because some SS b### just felt like it, nobody knows.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Family lore can run from almost factual to pure fiction.   Native American ancestry is a very common claim among American family lore, both white and black.   It's complicated because some tribes adopted captives, especially children, into their tribes.

I plan on getting the Ancestry DNA test the next time I see a special deal on it because my family lore on my mother's line is that my grandmother's father or grandfather was a Polish Jew who converted in order to keep/own land.  My grandmother was the only member of her family to leave Poland (arriving in the US about 1920), and her entire family -- she had at least four sisters and a brother -- was butchered by the Nazis early on in the war, although whether that was because they were descended from Jews or because they resisted or because some SS b### just felt like it, nobody knows.   

I'd encourage you to check out the show Finding Your Roots as they discuss Jewish ancestry and the Pale of Settlement extensively throughout the seasons. Also there is a great research group on Facebook called Tracing the Tribe - Jewish Genealogy that I would highly recommend once you get an idea as to where your line going back begins in Europe. Once I take my DNA test I might have to do the exact same thing as I have German ancestry which is possibly of Jewish origins so I follow anyways to learn.

I learned a couple of years ago my great great grandmother and cousins survived the Nazi occupation of Norway and I had ZERO idea... my great grandmother left Norway in 1912 for the USA, but her mother survived until 1950.

• Like (+1) 1

Through 23andme I was able to help an unknown relative who was adopted find out who his biological father was.  
He grew up not really having any relatives at all (his mom was adopted too).  

Now he has cousins aunts uncles and even a half-brother.  We had a zoom call which was full of laughs and some tears.  

We are close enough that under different circumstances we would have all had the same last name! 
So for us it was a fruitful experience.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.