Have you had your DNA tested?

SDS

DNA testing   

48 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had your DNA tested?

• Yes
    • No

13 hours ago, SDS said:

Breaking cold cases has been out for a while now, but I’m watching a special on PBS and I was just curious how many NY people went forward with this.

I've never been interested in that true crime stuff but I have found the recent DNA catches interesting.     The Golden State Killer had Bills Country connections(Bath NY).   

My oldest daughter had a test done..........confirmed what I was told about where everyone came from.    Didn't go into potential family matches.   My grandfather was married 3 times back when one divorce was scandalous so I wouldn't be surprised in the least if I had a bunch of relatives we weren't aware of. :lol:

Grandfather on Mothers side was from Georgia, said his kin fought in Civil War. An Uncle did some ancestors thing about 50 yrs. after he passed. Learned Grandpa had family that fought in Civil and Revolutionary War.

Grandfather on Fathers side snuck on a ship heading to America in his teens from what is now Poland at outbreak of WWl. He was caught after ship set sail, but made it here. He never heard from or knew what happened to his family there.

My Grandmothers were both born here, but their parents were Irish and Polish immigrants.

That's good enough for me to know about my ancestry and it didn't cost me a dime.

I found out (in my 30s - I'm now 50) that neither of my grandfathers was my biological grandfather.

I know the names of both of my biological grandfathers, but I've never been interested in knowing anything about them or their families.

Part of me would like to know more about health histories, but not enough for me to pursue.

The biggest impact this has had on me that I'm actually aware of is that I grew up telling people that I'm Puerto Rican and Italian .... and now I know that the only Italian thing about me is my last name.  This, after giving my son his middle name after my great grandfather's first name (Vincenzo), only to find out that I have no blood relation to him and, obviously, nor does my son.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.