Have you had your DNA tested?

SDS

DNA testing   

48 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had your DNA tested?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, Just Joshin' said:

Simple curiosity.  See what I could find out about ancestry and potential health issues.

Breaking cold cases has been out for a while now, but I’m watching a special on PBS and I was just curious how many NY people went forward with this.

41 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

No thanks. Seen too many families get sad around Christmas because someone decided to get ancestry.com or some ***** and found out they have cousins or half siblings they never knew about. 

why did that make them sad?

12 hours ago, SDS said:

Just curious. If yes, would you be willing to share why you had it tested?

My daughter bought me Ancestory as some sort of gift. I let it lay around for a month or two, then; I followed the instructions and sent it in. Many huge surprises were forthcoming. I'm talkin' about major surprises. So big that she sent me 23 and me and it confirmed the first test. 

I am fine with the results that I got but wouldn't suggest it to anyone who feels that they may be deeply harmed emotionally if they get shocking results. 

Edited by Bill from NYC

56 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

My daughter bought me Ancestory as some sort of gift. I let it lay around for a month or two, then; I followed the instructions and sent it in. Many huge surprises were forthcoming. I'm talkin' about major surprises. So big that she sent me 23 and me and it confirmed the first test. 

I am fine with the results that I got but wouldn't suggest it to anyone who feels that they may be deepy harmed emotionally if they get shocking results. 

The whole family 3 generations ago were Auburn fans?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SDS said:

My wife and daughter had theirs tested. I really did not care. My daughter bought me a test because she has a chronic health condition (which neither of her parents had) and wanted to see any links. My wife and I come from two entirely different gene pools. I had the test and there were no surprises. It was 23 and Me. Then I kept getting their e-mails about matches - I assume it was second cousins and I really did not care. No Harm - No Foul

My wife and I did it a few years ago just out of curiosity.  My bride’s father was born in Australia, so she learned quite a bit about her lineage.  Some things that her mother had shared with her about her ancestry turned out to be false according to the results.

My father never met his father, as the guy ran off right before my dad was born.  So learning about some of my ancestry was pretty interesting.

12 hours ago, SDS said:

I was adopted as a baby. No information ever. 42 now. 

Wanted to see what it would tell me about relatives. gave me some good info. I reached out to a few of them but no one ever knew of a family member that gave up a child. Finally last year they passed a law that gave me Original birth certificate. I have since connected to my bio mothers side. Even found out I have 2 bio sisters. Have talked with one quite a bit. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, jburt2625 said:

I was adopted as a baby. No information ever. 42 now. 

Wanted to see what it would tell me about relatives. gave me some good info. I reached out to a few of them but no one ever knew of a family member that gave up a child. Finally last year they passed a law that gave me Original birth certificate. I have since connected to my bio mothers side. Even found out I have 2 bio sisters. Have talked with one quite a bit. 

I hope that turned out well. I'm sure a lot of us are like, "I came from THAT???" lol

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

I hope that turned out well. I'm sure a lot of us are like, "I came from THAT???" lol

It really did. Havent met anyone in person yet. We had lunch plans the weekend the whole world got shut down. Havent heard from bio father side yet. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.