Lions to hire Dan Campbell

Reed83HOF

Campbell, Glenn and Hilliard running the show in Detroit?

That would at least make the Lions interesting because of the 3 former players I remember watching all in prominent roles angle. 

But the fact that they chose Campbell as a HC AND gave him a 6 year contract is absolutely insane. 

23 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I thought he said kneecaps and ballsacks. 

LOL

I'm just imagining the WGR shows after this presser if this was one of the awful coach hirings during the drought era. 

The guy sounds like an imbecile. All right? all right? 

Plus he drops an S bomb in his opening presser. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Right!

There is no way this guy sounded intelligent and organized in a multi-hour interview. I just don't see how it's possible. 

They may have not wanted to wait and miss out on coordinators.  Might have helped us keep Daboll.  I wonder if the NFL may tweak the head coaching staff rule and not allow new hires until after the Super Bowl.

Just now, Doc Brown said:

They may have not wanted to wait and miss out on coordinators.  Might have helped us keep Daboll.  I wonder if the NFL may tweak the head coaching staff rule and not allow new hires until after the Super Bowl.

They should. Just wait a few weeks. It makes no difference. 

Plus, the NFL could get a couple of post-Super Bowl weeks of news cycle out of it. 

No coaching hires or interviews until 12PM Wednesday after the Super Bowl. That gives a couple of days for the game to dominate the sports media, then a total feeding frenzy for the middle weeks of February while coaches interview. 

A normally slow time for the NFL becomes yet another prime time part of the show. Coordinators aren't distracted. Everyone is available. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Campbell, Glenn and Hilliard running the show in Detroit?

That would at least make the Lions interesting because of the 3 former players I remember watching all in prominent roles angle. 

But the fact that they chose Campbell as a HC AND gave him a 6 year contract is absolutely insane. 

LOL

I'm just imagining the WGR shows after this presser if this was one of the awful coach hirings during the drought era. 

The guy sounds like an imbecile. All right? all right? 

Plus he drops an S bomb in his opening presser. 

I know it's been said here--it reminded me of a Rex type speech.  I was sort of hoping that Rex in his reincarnation here would hit his stride--correct the things he did wrong in prior opportunities, be humbled somewhat (somewhat--it was Rex after all), grow as a coach and in that regard, it was a fun presser.  You would have thought he'd have a chip onhis shoulder, a burning desire to prove them all wrong, and you certainly could see how players would take to his approach.  He's funny in his own way.  "Now let's go have a g-d snack" is about as funny as it gets. 

This guy though, it seems like a pretty black and white scenario.  He's going to be who he's going to be, and we've seen him under the best case scenario until he starts winning.  If he turns the franchise around, awesome.  How much leeway do you give a guy who threatens to chomp on kneecaps?  If they go backwards...yeesh. 

I could be wrong, but his game plan seems to be "get in there and stick em!"  The trouble is, everyone in the NFL is tough. 

Smart will beat "tough and physical" most times, because all NFL players are tough dudes. 

I just imagine Green Bay scheming up plays to get guys wide open and Detroit being determined to smash the ball up the middle, and if that doesn't work take a kneecap.

LOL

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, london_bills said:

It sounds dangerously like a Rex Ryan presser. The kind of introduction that makes you think he won't be a great coach

I have no idea how well he will do as a coach. I hope does well. I like to see people succeed when they get their chances. However, that presser was just painful to watch...