Chargers to Hire Brandon Staley as HC (not Daboll)

Reed83HOF

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In his presser yesterday, Daboll confirmed that his goal is to become an NFL head coach "eventually" but refused to answer any questions at all on the topic, neither to confirm nor deny interest in the remaining jobs.

FWIW

I have a weird feeling that the Tampa Bay job is going to open up after this season... 

The Glazer Family is from Rochester. Daboll has obviously ties to the area as well as ties to Tom Brady. He was arguably the top candidate on the market and is still available, I wouldn’t be shocked. 

22 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

I feel sad that you feel nothing for the someone who has helped lead the Bills to the AFC Championship and may lose out on his dream to be a head coach. Instead, too many people have demonstrated little class by celebrating Daboll's misfortune

What misfortune has Daboll suffered?

-He was said to have earned $1.427M in salary and bonuses for his year at Alabama. 

-The average NFL coordinator is said to earn $1M/yr.   I couldn't find Daboll's salary but I doubt he took a cut to come to Buffalo, so >$1.2M/yr.  McDaniel is said to receive $4M/yr.

-He has a healthy family and children

-He is crafting a successful offense

-He is working with a group of players and coaches he is very open about his positive feelings for, including at least one he appears to love

-Currently, he appears slated to continue his work in the same positive work environment with the same colleagues and most of the same players

-For a salary likely higher than $1.2M/yr, which will allow him to support and even build generational wealth for his family if well managed

It must be a disappointment to get "beaten out" for the Charger's HC job, but I can also see the logic of hiring the DC of the league's top defense this year because to get anywhere, the Chargers are gonna need to be able to contain the Chiefs offense.  So if I were the owner/GM I'm looking first for a guy I believe can get that job done.  As far as I'm concerned, the offense was looking pretty good and they might even want to keep the same OC with a HC who makes better game-management and play-call oversight decisions.

Calling it a "misfortune" seems almost a malapropism: "ludicrous misuse of a word"

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What misfortune has Daboll suffered?

-He was said to have earned $1.427M in salary and bonuses for his year at Alabama. 

-The average NFL coordinator is said to earn $1M/yr.   I couldn't find Daboll's salary but I doubt he took a cut to come to Buffalo, so >$1.2M/yr.  McDaniel is said to receive $4M/yr.

-He has a healthy family and children

-He is crafting a successful offense

-He is working with a group of players and coaches he is very open about his positive feelings for, including at least one he appears to love

-Currently, he appears slated to continue his work in the same positive work environment with the same colleagues and most of the same players

-For a salary likely higher than $1.2M/yr, which will allow him to support and even build generational wealth for his family if well managed

It must be a disappointment to get "beaten out" for the Charger's HC job, but I can also see the logic of hiring the DC of the league's top defense this year because to get anywhere, the Chargers are gonna need to be able to contain the Chiefs offense.  So if I were the owner/GM I'm looking first for a guy I believe can get that job done.  As far as I'm concerned, the offense was looking pretty good and they might even want to keep the same OC with a HC who makes better game-management and play-call oversight decisions.

Calling it a "misfortune" seems almost a malapropism: "ludicrous misuse of a word"

It's ironic that you don't seem to understand what malapropism means. 

I stand by what I said. If Daboll wanted that job, Bills fans should be rooting for him to get it and come down hard on the teams that don't hire our great coaches and front office personnel. Instead, too often we see fans saying, "He's rich, has a good job, he should suck it up and be happy with what he has."  Way to go, Superfan. 

On 1/18/2021 at 11:21 AM, JGMcD2 said:

What middle of the pack defense did we choke up on?? 

If he's talking about the Colts multiple bills players said that's the best defensive effort they've seen all year...im not sure how our performance against Baltimore could be labeled a choke when from a coaching perspective when Gabe Davis dropped a sure touchdown and we missed 2 fgs...thats 20 points on offense against one of the best rushing defenses in the league in a bad weather game.  Not to mention we pretty much were content running out the clock in the 4th up two scores with Jackson out of the game

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

I stand by what I said. If Daboll wanted that job, Bills fans should be rooting for him to get it and come down hard on the teams that don't hire our great coaches and front office personnel. Instead, too often we see fans saying, "He's rich, has a good job, he should suck it up and be happy with what he has."  Way to go, Superfan. 

Yup, 

I'm so pissed off at the Chargers right now for not taking away the best OC Buffalo has had since Marchibroda.

I'm speechless

Way to friggin go Superfans!!! 

In all seriousness, I believe Daboll let everyone know he's not interested. ( Pure speculation)

(Daboll loves him some Josh Allen)

Edited by Figster
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

I have been waiting for this moment:

image.png

Definition of malapropism

1 : the usually unintentionally humorous misuse or distortion of a word or phrase

It's common to apply malapropism to the substitution of an incorrect word for the intended one, but that's not the only meaning.  And that's one serious misuse and distortion of the word "misfortune" you got going on there

I stand by what I said.

You called it "his misfortune"  So here you are doubling down on an inappropriate description while chiding me for misusing a word.  The mind, it Boggles.

Clearly you don't understand the functional/operational definition or usage of the word "misfortune".  Losing a family member.  Losing a job and facing eviction.  Being seriously injured or ill.  Having a seriously injured or ill family member.  Being falsely accused of a crime.  All of those things meet the usage.

Not being offered a desireable job while still employed in a highly paid job you love?  Pfffah.  That's like calling a "stubbed toe" a serious OTJI

20 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

If Daboll wanted that job, Bills fans should be rooting for him to get it and come down hard on the teams that don't hire our great coaches and front office personnel. Instead, too often we see fans saying, "He's rich, has a good job, he should suck it up and be happy with what he has."  Way to go, Superfan.

People can take either of those tactics, and it still doesn't change the fact that a gainfully-employed, well-remunerated individual who acknowledges that he's employed in a great organization where he pursues his passion surrounded by people he loves and respects, and who goes home to a healthy family every night hasn't suffered a "misfortune" by any reasonable common usage.

You want to double down and stand by that, you have strange taste in the "ditch you want to defend" but You Do You

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have been waiting for this moment:

image.png

Definition of malapropism

1 : the usually unintentionally humorous misuse or distortion of a word or phrase

It's common to apply malapropism to the substitution of an incorrect word for the intended one, but that's not the only meaning.  And that's one serious misuse and distortion of the word "misfortune" you got going on there

You called it "his misfortune"  So here you are doubling down on an inappropriate description while chiding me for misusing a word.  The mind, it Boggles.

Clearly you don't understand the functional/operational definition or usage of the word "misfortune".  Losing a family member.  Losing a job and facing eviction.  Being seriously injured or ill.  Having a seriously injured or ill family member.  Being falsely accused of a crime.  All of those things meet the usage.

Not being offered a desireable job while still employed in a highly paid job you love?  Pfffah.  That's like calling a "stubbed toe" a serious OTJI

People can take either of those tactics, and it still doesn't change the fact that a gainfully-employed, well-remunerated individual who acknowledges that he's employed in a great organization where he pursues his passion surrounded by people he loves and respects, and who goes home to a healthy family every night hasn't suffered a "misfortune" by any reasonable common usage.

You want to double down and stand by that, you have strange taste in the "ditch you want to defend" but You Do You

So, you're whole diatribe is objecting to the word, "misfortune?"  That's weird. How about, "disappointment" "setback" "bad luck" "tribulation' "blow" "unpleasantness" or even "tough luck?" If it makes you feel better, take you pick on the synonym and I'll edit the post just for you. 

It's probably dawning on you that synonyms and malapropisms are not the same thing. Perhaps you should take a lesson from Archie Bunker, "Back in my day we learned to keep things in their proper suspective.”  

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/18/2021 at 2:13 PM, Max Fischer said:

I feel sad that you feel nothing for the someone who has helped lead the Bills to the AFC Championship and may lose out on his dream to be a head coach. Instead, too many people have demonstrated little class by celebrating Daboll's misfortune. 

So, should he have quit mid way through the post season?