Chargers to Hire Brandon Staley as HC (not Daboll)

Reed83HOF

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

So true, and last week too. Balance is the right word. 

The guy coached / game planned himself out of a head coaching job IMO. 

Look at the offensive numbers for the Bills against the Colts, Ravens and not good at all. Out gained in yards, ToP, and with literally no run game.

This reminds me of last years Dallas Cowboys game on Thanksgiving with Carolina after that Cowboy trouncing saying they were interested in Daboll as HC... the following week the Bills faced the Ravens, Allen 6 sacks, 12 QB hits and no answer for that pass rush and suddenly nobody is interested in Dabs as HC anymore.

Here is a OC that all he wants to do is have his QB throw to show how good he is at calling pass plays. NVM that first season (2018) the Bills had a horrid O line while Dabs call for more deep passes than any other NFL team. NVM last years Ravens game Josh Allen was abused every drop back, lets keep throwing 39 passes! NVM that the wind conditions were conducive to running the ball this last game...37 passes. 

The Bills needed a run game in the worst way yesterday and was nowhere to be found.

Looking at his history, I'm kinda hoping he takes the Eagles or Texans job... if offered. 

I get what your saying and I feel the same but in a different way. I agree is we keep  passing nonstop and never run the ball, our season likely end the season with an L.

fixing the run game would be my #1 priority in the offseason.  That’s said....it’s nearly impossible for them to fix the run game mid playoffs and I don’t expect them to try.  Not running has been working.  It might not be sustainable....but running for 3 yards a carry isn’t sustainable either. 

It’s an offseason fix that is instilled in the teams offensive identity im during training camp, not the playoffs. 

11 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

When we got new reactions I was curious when the eye roll would come in handy. 

Thank you. 

You are submissive to the Josh Allen hating media. They feed you propaganda; you buy into it all. There is a sucker born every minute. You are gullible, naive, and easily brainwashed.

Way to support your transcendent QB and have his back.

Remain clueless and ignorant.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

I agree and I agree.

I don't get how an offense can put up 56 points on one of the better defenses in the league and then choke up on a mid pack defense...

The Bills NEED a run game to go along with that awesome passing attack with Allen. Balance, look at the Packers. 

The 2020 Buffalo Bills are 20th in rushing yards, 20th in yards per attempt. That's with QB Josh Allen being the teams third leading rusher with 421 yards, 8 rushing TDs. Moss has 481 rush yards, 4 TDs. Singletary has 687 yards, 2 TDs. 

It’s called a good defensive game plan and execution.  

15 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

When we got new reactions I was curious when the eye roll would come in handy. 

Thank you. 

Eye roll and puke ftw

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

You are submissive to the Josh Allen hating media. They feed you propaganda; you buy into it all. There is a sucker born every minute. You are gullible, naive, and easily brainwashed.

Way to support your transcendent QB and have his back.

Remain clueless and ignorant.

If I was a child I’m sure there’s a few things I could call you as well. Eye roll works really well. I will chalk this up to school being closed today and mom made you do chores instead of video games and you’re grumpy 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

You feel sad for guy, running a top 5 offense for his hometown team? Ok then. 

I feel sad that you feel nothing for the someone who has helped lead the Bills to the AFC Championship and may lose out on his dream to be a head coach. Instead, too many people have demonstrated little class by celebrating Daboll's misfortune. 

Looks like our staff will remain intact for another run at it all next year. This won’t happen often with sustained success, but it’s nice when it does! 

Continuity for Josh next year will be huge in cementing himself as elite. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was pretty surprised about Staley last night, but now it makes a lot more sense.  Everyone thought the hire would be about Herbert.  It's actually about Mahomes, and it's kind of smart.  The best way to win the division is for Herbert to keep being Herbert, and for someone to crack the Mahomes code.  Staley might be able to improve the defense much more than Daboll (or anyone else) could improve Herbert and the offense.  So, having taken a step back . . . I get the hire.  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

I get what your saying and I feel the same but in a different way. I agree is we keep  passing nonstop and never run the ball, our season likely end the season with an L.

fixing the run game would be my #1 priority in the offseason.  That’s said....it’s nearly impossible for them to fix the run game mid playoffs and I don’t expect them to try.  Not running has been working.  It might not be sustainable....but running for 3 yards a carry isn’t sustainable either. 

It’s an offseason fix that is instilled in the teams offensive identity im during training camp, not the playoffs. 

In order to get a run game going... you actually need to try to run the ball...with the RB's! 

The Bills didn't even call a run play the entire first quarter against the Ravens. One run by Singletary in the 2nd quarter!

The 3rd quarter first play, Singletary off LT for 9 yards, next play run by Singletary LG -1 yards, three passes later, Singletary LE 12 yards, 5 passes after. 

Buffalo, 16 rushes for 32 yards on an exceptionally windy day more conducive to running the ball. 

NOW, 7 of those 16 rushes were by Josh Allen for 3 yards. So the Bills ran the ball a whole 9 times by the RB's...

The Buffalo Bills offense scored 10 points. The Buffalo Bills defense scored 7 points. 

The last two games the Bills offense has been outplayed...The Ravens, 340 yards to Buffalo 220 yards. ToP Ravens 35:33. Bills 24:27. Yards per rush 4.7 to 2.0. Same with the Colts, 472 to 397, ToP 34:17 to 25:43. 

Buffalo was bailed out by the defense in holding the Ravens to 3 points. Baltimore previous scores, Titans 20, Bengals 38, Giants 27, Jags, 40, Browns 47, Cowboys 34.

Now, had Buffalo lost this game against the Ravens, Bills fans would be screaming for Daboll's head on a platter...That Allen fumble that the Bills recovered in both games against the Colts/ Ravens. That deep bomb that Tyler Huntly overthrew to Brown. The Colts hail-Mary that was knocked down.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky. Can't depend on that luck for future games... gotta work a run game too! Antonio Williams anyone?  

Just saying, Daboll was the favorite to get the Chargers HCing job and then they changed their minds after asking for a second interview...which never took place. Apparently, the Bills offense in the Ravens game might have been all they needed to see. 

On one side I'm glad for continuity as Allen and Diggs love the guy. On the other, I question the game plan, play calls on offense the last two games. Perhaps now that teams no longer have interest he can focus on doing a better job. 🙏

8 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

In order to get a run game going... you actually need to try to run the ball...with the RB's! 

The Bills didn't even call a run play the entire first quarter against the Ravens. One run by Singletary in the 2nd quarter!

The 3rd quarter first play, Singletary off LT for 9 yards, next play run by Singletary LG -1 yards, three passes later, Singletary LE 12 yards, 5 passes after. 

Buffalo, 16 rushes for 32 yards on an exceptionally windy day more conducive to running the ball. 

NOW, 7 of those 16 rushes were by Josh Allen for 3 yards. So the Bills ran the ball a whole 9 times by the RB's...

The Buffalo Bills offense scored 10 points. The Buffalo Bills defense scored 7 points. 

The last two games the Bills offense has been outplayed...The Ravens, 340 yards to Buffalo 220 yards. ToP Ravens 35:33. Bills 24:27. Yards per rush 4.7 to 2.0. Same with the Colts, 472 to 397, ToP 34:17 to 25:43. 

Buffalo was bailed out by the defense in holding the Ravens to 3 points. Baltimore previous scores, Titans 20, Bengals 38, Giants 27, Jags, 40, Browns 47, Cowboys 34.

Now, had Buffalo lost this game against the Ravens, Bills fans would be screaming for Daboll's head on a platter...That Allen fumble that the Bills recovered in both games against the Colts/ Ravens. That deep bomb that Tyler Huntly overthrew to Brown. The Colts hail-Mary that was knocked down.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky. Can't depend on that luck for future games... gotta work a run game too! Antonio Williams anyone?  

Just saying, Daboll was the favorite to get the Chargers HCing job and then they changed their minds after asking for a second interview...which never took place. Apparently, the Bills offense in the Ravens game might have been all they needed to see. 

On one side I'm glad for continuity as Allen and Diggs love the guy. On the other, I question the game plan, play calls on offense the last two games. Perhaps now that teams no longer have interest he can focus on doing a better job. 🙏

Speculation 💯.

maybe they just loved Staley and there was no reason to waste time in naming him their HC.  

maybe the just decided they wanted to keep Shane Steichen and the same offense in place. 

Sure, maybe they saw dabolls offense vs the ravens and decided they didn’t want him, but this isn’t the first game we almost exclusively passed the ball the entire first half.  I just don’t think that would be the reason.  Staley’s D just gave up 32 in a loss. Just doesn’t add up imo.

regarding the ravens giving up points to other teams, Calais Campbell and Brandon Williams missed a handful of games.  They had multiple injuries in their defensive backfield.  They gave up all those points you mentioned.....and still tied (with the defense led by their new HC) for the league lead in scoring D

Edited by NewEra

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

I was pretty surprised about Staley last night, but now it makes a lot more sense.  Everyone thought the hire would be about Herbert.  It's actually about Mahomes, and it's kind of smart.  The best way to win the division is for Herbert to keep being Herbert, and for someone to crack the Mahomes code.  Staley might be able to improve the defense much more than Daboll (or anyone else) could improve Herbert and the offense.  So, having taken a step back . . . I get the hire.  

I get it too, somewhat. It makes sense to build that defense while they already have their franchise QB. I wonder who he will peg as OC?

To me, this is reminiscent of the Freddie Kitchens hire by Cleveland. Staley has been a DC for ONE season, 2020.

Previous he was the Broncos/Bears OLB coach for 3 seasons and before that college DC. Talk about a meteoric rise.

While the Rams have the #1 defense in the league this season. They also have perhaps the two best players at their positions in Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey. 

21 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Looks like our staff will remain intact for another run at it all next year. This won’t happen often with sustained success, but it’s nice when it does! 

Continuity for Josh next year will be huge in cementing himself as elite. 

In his presser yesterday, Daboll confirmed that his goal is to become an NFL head coach "eventually" but refused to answer any questions at all on the topic, neither to confirm nor deny interest in the remaining jobs.

FWIW

20 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

I agree. 

Same logic goes for the Texans.   I can understand where Watson would like to have a strong offensive mind as a HC, but he had a great year and the Texans offense was #28 in the league for starting field position but #13 in points per drive.  Meanwhile their D is #27 in the league for points given up and #30 for points per drive.

21 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

I feel sad that you feel nothing for the someone who has helped lead the Bills to the AFC Championship and may lose out on his dream to be a head coach. Instead, too many people have demonstrated little class by celebrating Daboll's misfortune. 

I think this is a little harsh.  I'm extremely happy that Daboll is (probably) coming back next year.  Is that "celebrating his misfortune?"  I don't see it that way.  He's a key member of a coaching staff that is doing a lot of things well at the moment, and it makes sense that fans would want to see this staff stay together for a little longer.  When he eventually lands a head coaching gig, I'll wish him well.

Nothing wrong with wanting to see your team's staff remain intact.