Chargers to Hire Brandon Staley as HC (not Daboll)

Reed83HOF

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It would be tough to turn down any HC job if it’s offered imo. You never know what will happen between now and next year. He may be in a good place to be picky/patient, but if you wait for the perfect situation you nay be waiting awhile. There’s a reason these jobs are open. 

There is an argument to be made that it's better to be a coordinator on a great team, than a HC on a crap team.

I hear Daboll's more in the national media than I do Zac Taylor's name.  Daboll will get a huge raise this year and is in charge of the entire offense.  

Turning down a HC job isn't that big of a deal, if you are going to end up fired in 2 years anyways.

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It would be tough to turn down any HC job if it’s offered imo. You never know what will happen between now and next year. He may be in a good place to be picky/patient, but if you wait for the perfect situation you nay be waiting awhile. There’s a reason these jobs are open. 

I mean, you could go somewhere and try to be the savior if that's what you really want to do. In either of those cases I think it would be the wrong move. Unless Eric Bienemy is hired in Houston I think Watson is out and Bienemy can decline any job to stay in KC. What do you do then? Miami already owns your #3 pick in the draft and that team is completely devoid of talent on offense outside of Watson. I mean they have nothing. Defensively they have a couple of aging stars in Mercilus and Watt. That's it. That team will dwell in the cellar for years to come once they deal Watson, if and more likely when Watson forces their hand. Philly has a complete crap show at QB due to the fact that you have a horrible, inescapable contract with Wentz and Jalen Hurts. Hurts may be capable of being their new Donovan McNabb, but the cap hell they are in is deep right now. They too have a bunch of aging, overpriced players on both sides of the ball and look likely to be headed for a full blown rebuild. Do you really want to go into something like that as your first HC gig? Idk, it's up to the individual. But if I were our guys I stay put on a team positioned for success not only this year, but beyond until something with better pieces (draft and player wise) opens up. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Lol the chargers saw the play call balance last night and were out

So true, and last week too. Balance is the right word. 

The guy coached / game planned himself out of a head coaching job IMO. 

Look at the offensive numbers for the Bills against the Colts, Ravens and not good at all. Out gained in yards, ToP, and with literally no run game.

This reminds me of last years Dallas Cowboys game on Thanksgiving with Carolina after that Cowboy trouncing saying they were interested in Daboll as HC... the following week the Bills faced the Ravens, Allen 6 sacks, 12 QB hits and no answer for that pass rush and suddenly nobody is interested in Dabs as HC anymore.

Here is a OC that all he wants to do is have his QB throw to show how good he is at calling pass plays. NVM that first season (2018) the Bills had a horrid O line while Dabs call for more deep passes than any other NFL team. NVM last years Ravens game Josh Allen was abused every drop back, lets keep throwing 39 passes! NVM that the wind conditions were conducive to running the ball this last game...37 passes. 

The Bills needed a run game in the worst way yesterday and was nowhere to be found.

Looking at his history, I'm kinda hoping he takes the Eagles or Texans job... if offered. 

• Disagree 1

The NFL's rules about hiring coaches still in the playoffs was likely a huge factor.

Teams realize there are multiple job openings, and they can't just sit around waiting for weeks and weeks to choose their next Head Coach.  Otherwise they will end up with the scraps.

I'm sure the Chargers really liked Brian Daboll.  But they couldn't offer him the job until the Bills were out of the playoffs.  Which means they would need to wait at least another week, and possibly another three.  And there is no guarantee he would even decide to take the job.

I believe it's the same reason Eric Bieniemy was not hired last year.

8 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

There is an argument to be made that it's better to be a coordinator on a great team, than a HC on a crap team.

I hear Daboll's more in the national media than I do Zac Taylor's name.  Daboll will get a huge raise this year and is in charge of the entire offense.  

Turning down a HC job isn't that big of a deal, if you are going to end up fired in 2 years anyways.

And if you have an elite QB, Daboll does, the chances of your window closing this year are slim. I think defensive guys generally have to strike while the iron is hot because keeping an elite D that keeps you in the window through 3 or 4 hiring cycles is difficult. I think of guys like Teryl Austin and Ray Horton who were hot for a couple of years, didn't get a job then disappeared from view. 

38 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They were doing other interviews the whole time. Schefter just said he had “emerged as a favorite”. There was nothing substantial behind it. 

How much substance does a shadow of a shadow have?

23 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

It depends if they give you a 10 year, 10 million a year contract.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Hard to root against one of your own’s career advancement.  But I don’t think you can under-estimate how bad the play-calling was on Saturday night.  There was little to no adjustment to the wind conditions or how the game was playing out.  That performance should’ve given anybody cold feet about Daboll.  Let’s hope he finds his mojo on Sunday.  

I agree and I agree.

I don't get how an offense can put up 56 points on one of the better defenses in the league and then choke up on a mid pack defense...

The Bills NEED a run game to go along with that awesome passing attack with Allen. Balance, look at the Packers. 

The 2020 Buffalo Bills are 20th in rushing yards, 20th in yards per attempt. That's with QB Josh Allen being the teams third leading rusher with 421 yards, 8 rushing TDs. Moss has 481 rush yards, 4 TDs. Singletary has 687 yards, 2 TDs. 

Absolutely nowhere.

And he never was going anywhere to begin with.

All fake reports fabricated by the Josh Allen hating media.

Nobody in the NFL thinks highly of Daboll. NOBODY

Brian Daboll is nothing more than a pure media creation.

Brian Daboll is 1000% a byproduct of Josh Allen.

Josh Allen IS the system in Buffalo...and Daboll is just along for the ride.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1

Chargers were the obvious landing spot - you have to wonder if he would want to take on the messes in Philly or Houston.  I completely understand the idea of wanting that promotion and joining that elite fraternity of HC's in the NFL, but have to weigh that against the wife and kids and being 'home'.  I took a job at another company to get a level promotion, and almost immediately regretted it, and was back a year later. 

1 minute ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Absolutely nowhere.

And he never was going anywhere to begin with.

All fake reports fabricated by the Josh Allen hating media.

Nobody in the NFL thinks highly of Daboll. NOBODY

Brian Daboll is nothing more than a pure media creation.

Brian Daboll is 1000% a byproduct of Josh Allen.

Josh Allen IS the system in Buffalo...and Daboll is just along for the ride.

When we got new reactions I was curious when the eye roll would come in handy. 

Thank you. 

• Like (+1) 1

He would be the #1 guy next year. And there will be good jobs next year too. McDermott got the bills job a year after the panthers SB appearance. Same with the jets coach this year. Daboll will be involved with any job he wants next year. Off the top of my head the Cowboys, Bears, Broncos all are good jobs. And who knows what might happen with the Patriots. If the Bills win the SB in the next couple of years Daboll can get that job. Not that I want him too. I don’t think it’s a guarantee that  McDaniels gets that job. He failed miserably once and had to come running home to daddy. 

16 minutes ago, dayman said:

Sorry if discused elsewhere already but i saw a few teams hired already including the Chargers...does it now look like he stays another year?

The remaining jobs at this point are the Eagles and the Texans.

If I were an OC looking for my best shot as HC, neither situation would appeal to me right now.

Nick Caserio must have a relationship with Brian Daboll from their time working in NE.  Whether that's a good relationship, or a bad relationship, can't tell you.  But I personally wouldn't want to relocate to a franchise where there seems to be a Machiavelli in Easterby pulling strings behind the scenes to get the GM (Gaines) fired promptly, the team's star WR traded for a bag of donuts and a used hotdog, and the team's Franchise QB pissed off and said to be wanting a trade.  It just seems like a toxic mess where the command-and-control to work cohesively and turn things around aren't clear.

Then there's the Eagles and their financially-committed relationship to a QB who has regressed badly

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/thoughts-report-detailing-carson-wentzs-uncoachable-unaccountable-behavior

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/carson-wentz-eagles-regression-doug-pederson-press-taylor-howie-roseman-20210116.html

It won't be surprising if Frazier gets the job in Houston in order to resolve the conflict between Watson and the organization. This was an organization that allowed the ego of the former combustible to take a team that was coming into its own and crash it with a number of foolish and odd decisions. When factions within an organization are working at cross purposes and wasting energy for in-fighting and management intrigue that is a toxic recipe for failure.