6,700 fans were so loud the Ravens had to switch to a silent snap count. Possibly the greatest fan performance in sports history?

Big Turk

"The crowd was like it was at full capacity. Couldn't hear the snap count, couldn't hear really anything going on. Even at guard, I was having trouble hearing the snap count," Bozeman said. "Lamar was trying to be loud. It was as loud as max capacity in my opinion. The Bills Mafia, I guess they came together and cheered their butts off last night."

Incredible. What a performance by the fans.

• Like (+1) 3

This is the biggest tragedy of the Browns failing to topple the Chiefs.  If they thought we were loud for the Ravens, imagine Bills Mafia cranking it to 12 for a crack at the Super Bowl.

But yeah, as someone put in another thread, there are logical reasons how 6700 can sound like 67000.

- More rabid playoff atmosphere meaning 100% of attendees making noise as opposed to the majority sitting on their hands for regular season games tired and drunk.

- Plenty of empty hard benches and seats to bang with hands and rigid signs, greatly multiplying noise without immediate buzz kill neighbors to annoy.

- Lack of soft fleshy bodies covered in layers of soft clothing to muffle sound, more hard surface to bounce sound around.

- Likely lax, hands-off security allowing people to get as wild and crazy as they like.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Then people would have been sitting in the areas they were banging on to make noise. Might actually not have been much louder since each person was able to make the equivalent noise of 10 people.

I bang on the seat in front of me in a full stadium all the time. 

17 minutes ago, Mango said:

I bang on the seat in front of me in a full stadium all the time. 

I do too, but if people are sitting nearby or resting drinks, I refrain from doing that.  My voice was shot and both my hands felt broken in the second half, and I resorted to mule-kicking the bench behind me with my steel-toe boots.  that likely wouldnt happen at a sellout, ha.

It was full-fan participation everywhere.  Normally you see the "Rockpile" seats all standing and wild/engaged most of the game.  Everyone in attendance was in that mode from start to finish.

They also played Kyle Brandt's hype video before kickoff and that set everyone off

Also, of note.... there was zero sign of anything Ravens.  Not surprising based on the rules, but still was a cool thing to witness.

When the offense was on the field it was beyond silent and all you could hear was the strange white crowd noise coming from the speakers.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Also, of note.... there was zero sign of anything Ravens.  Not surprising based on the rules, but still was a cool thing to witness.

I saw a few ladies in the 100-level concourse at halftime with Ravens scarves who had come down the stairs from the club level... they may have been family of the players.   Besides that, nada!

22 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

When the offense was on the field it was beyond silent and all you could hear was the strange white crowd noise coming from the speakers.

Limited tickets sold to Seasons only.  No transfers allowed.  

The sound echoing instead of being absorbed by people actually has something to do with it as well.

[gets books slapped out of hands by bully.....NEEEERD!]

It is awesome isn't it.  I wish I was there.

https://sites.psu.edu/siowfa15/2015/10/18/what-makes-a-sports-stadium-loud/

Edited by The Tomcat
  • Agree 1