AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! Bills at Chiefs, Sunday 6:40 pm on CBS

6 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

I keep hearing how amazing the KC offense is and how their defense is very good. And yet somehow they haven’t won by more than 6 points in any of their last 9 games. I would think an unstoppable offense and very good defense would lead to the ability to outscore many of those mediocre teams by more than one TD? 

I'm not sure because I don't follow them much, but I guess it could be possible that in some of those games they had a big lead and took the foot off the gas in which case teams got some garbage points.?

54 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

This game is going to be fun to watch. The defense is clearly much better than it was during that first game. But I am really optimistic about the Bills offense too. Jon Feliciano was out that last game. John Brown was playing hurt. And I think Dawson Knox will play a key role this time around. KC has been weak all year against defending TEs. There are many things that have changed. Even Allen appears to be playing at a higher level. I suspect our TEs and RBs will be heavily involved in the passing game, especially if KC continues to run with 2 deep safties. The OL has been doing a fantastic job blocking for Josh lately. There are so many little things. It all adds up to a big surprise for KC. I suspect the offense will really get rolling.

Its apparent that the Bills are capable of playing at a high level on both sides of the ball, even though we often have one side bailing the other out. I’m hoping obviously that we get the best of both tomorrow. I have a feeling that the D comes up big but frankly I worry about the health of our WRs.

3 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

1.  Not all, but some of the 1 score games you talk about...KC had well in hand and teams scored late to make them 1 score games.

2.  There is something to be said for having the target of "super bowl champs" on your back.  You get the best shots alot of teams have.....the Carolina game that we almost lost, they threw the entire kitchen sink of 4th downs, fake punts, trick gadget plays....they brought everything they had in a non conference game that KC probably was looking past.

3.  Speaking of looking past opponents....I'd like to tell you KC brought the A game all year long and took eveyrone seriously.  They DID NOT.  But in games that had a major billing...VS bills week 6, two score win...VS Baltimore week 3, two score win.  VS new Orleans...late score to get within a score....same with Tampa....and all road games.  KC up 19-3 on Cleveland before Mahomes injury....

I'd not put too much into that margin of victory thing, but even if you do, KC's point differential is still very good.

Yeah that's what I was wondering. Wasn't sure because I don't watch Chiefs, but figured that was likely the case in some games anyway.

10 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

1.  Not all, but some of the 1 score games you talk about...KC had well in hand and teams scored late to make them 1 score games.

2.  There is something to be said for having the target of "super bowl champs" on your back.  You get the best shots alot of teams have.....the Carolina game that we almost lost, they threw the entire kitchen sink of 4th downs, fake punts, trick gadget plays....they brought everything they had in a non conference game that KC probably was looking past.

3.  Speaking of looking past opponents....I'd like to tell you KC brought the A game all year long and took eveyrone seriously.  They DID NOT.  But in games that had a major billing...VS bills week 6, two score win...VS Baltimore week 3, two score win.  VS new Orleans...late score to get within a score....same with Tampa....and all road games.  KC up 19-3 on Cleveland before Mahomes injury....

I'd not put too much into that margin of victory thing, but even if you do, KC's point differential is still very good.

So for 9 games in a row, the Chiefs took their foot off the gas early enough to let teams come back and get within one TD? Sounds like poor coaching. Or a weak defense that couldn’t close out games. At least that’s the narrative that would be circulating the Bills were the team in that situation. 

*I know you are a very knowledgeable and fair poster and I don’t mean this to come across as an attack on your post. It’s something I’m seeing from many of the national media too. 

Edited by chknwing334
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I'll throw around some more numbers later....but I would like to give a BIG thank you to the Bills for drafting and developing Josh Allen and getting him to the awesome player he is today.....If the Bills were playing anyone other than KC, I'd be rooting my ass off for you guys...Love watching the Bills.....and even more than that, I HATE the Broncos...and just reading their fans over the past couple seasons watch Allen blossom into what he has, when they could have and should have drafted him.....has been very satisfying.  

Yep. I don't have an account over there on the Orange Mane but yeah, I've seen you beat those guys over the head about them passing on Allen. The way I see it, the Broncos just had terrible luck. That bad luck being terrible timing. Elway swung and missed massively twice on Oz and Lynch. Two big QB's, with perhaps underwhelming collegiate production and with athletic ability in the case of Lynch. But both were viewed as long term projects as Allen was. It would have taken massive balls for Elway to commit to a third prospect of this kind in Allen. The irony of it all of course is that Allen is probably the prototypical Elway QB prospect. And we learned that Elway's balls were not quite as large as we thought.

Now you just need to work on chilling out your fellow Chiefs fans over at Chiefs Planet. So many posters over there feel threatened by the fact that Allen could possibly be on the same level as Mahomes. 

As you said, the Bills have done a bang up job on developing Josh. Not just working with him specifically but building good offensive personnel around him. Not a knock at Mahomes but Allen was not given a golden plate so to speak when he became the Bills starting QB like Mahomes was given from day 1. It seems many Chiefs fans and some in the media do not take this into account.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Its apparent that the Bills are capable of playing at a high level on both sides of the ball, even though we often have one side bailing the other out. I’m hoping obviously that we get the best of both tomorrow. I have a feeling that the D comes up big but frankly I worry about the health of our WRs.

Our WRs are going to give it all they got.

Diggs will be out there. Beasley is fine. Brown is healthy. Davis has a an ankle sprain. McKenzie is healthy and Stills is in wait. This team is going to give it everything they have.

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

I agree that you can't glean a whole lot from one game....but that's also why I posted the season stats first a few posts before that one.  

I'm sure this has been pointed out to you, but anyways, Bills that game Allen had a bum shoulder and had an impact on his throwing that game against the Chiefs. Also Bills were missing quite a few impact starters on Defense. Especially 1 being Matt Milano. Bills D is much better when he plays, actually much better than you would think being just 1 player.

But his presence alone does make that much of a difference. I believe it was at least 2 other starters on D that was out. The Bills at that time didn't know for sure who and when their opponent would be due to the NFL baby walking the Titans. Game planning for 2 teams at the same time I'm sure was a challenge.

In any event I'm not trying to make excuses here, even though it may come off that way. I'm simply saying that I wouldn't put but so much stock into that week 6 game. This game I expect will be a lot better for them.

If I said at the beginning of the season that the Bills would be a 3 point underdog against the Chiefs at Arrowhead for the AFC Championship, who would ever believe it??

I love how together this team is. 

They have made us so proud. 

Go Bills!!!!

Glory to Josh Allen!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I'm not sure because I don't follow them much, but I guess it could be possible that in some of those games they had a big lead and took the foot off the gas in which case teams got some garbage points.?

Not really. Actually against the Falcons, the cheifs should've lost. Mahomes had like three picks that Atlanta players dropped. Matt Ryan was throwing all over their defense. Other teams were the same way against the cheifs. Having said that, they still only lost one game with their starters. You could make the argument that the cheifs haven't played a team as good as the bills though. Bills schedule definetly alot harder than the cheifs schedule 

Edited by Steptide
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Not really. Actually against the Falcons, the cheifs should've lost. Mahomes had like three picks that Atlanta players dropped. Matt Ryan was throwing all over their defense. Other teams were the same way against the cheifs. Having said that, they still only lost one game with their starters. You could make the argument that the cheifs haven't played a team as good as the bills though. Bills schedule definetly alot harder than the cheifs schedule 

Yeah I do remember that particular game. The highlights of it anyways. Yeah they should have lost that 1, but was talking about some of the others down the stretch? 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

This is actually a fair point.  Excluding the Chargers game where the Chiefs were resting people, I would say it's true of 4 out of the final 7 games (Car, Tampa, Mia, NO) and not true of the Raiders (who led 3x including 31-28 late), Broncos (led 16-12) and Falcons (led 14-10).

Of course, it's equally true that some of the Bills games were not as close as the final score would appear because we let them back in it...and the counterpunch to that is the difference between "garbage time scoring" and "a brilliant come from behind effort" is only determined retrospectively, after the time W or L.

16 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I actually put the Carolina game down as one where KC was comfortably ahead!  Hmmm

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is actually a fair point.  Excluding the Chargers game where the Chiefs were resting people, I would say it's true of 4 out of the final 7 games (Car, Tampa, Mia, NO) and not true of the Raiders (who led 3x including 31-28 late), Broncos (led 16-12) and Falcons (led 14-10).

Of course, it's equally true that some of the Bills games were not as close as the final score would appear because we let them back in it...and the counterpunch to that is the difference between "garbage time scoring" and "a brilliant come from behind effort" is only determined retrospectively, after the time W or L.

I actually put the Carolina game down as one where KC was comfortably ahead!  Hmmm

To the bold, that's somewhat true, especially in the earlier part of the season. the last quarter to quarter and half of the season though Bills changed that tune and were beating the breaks off teams. I mean they kept the foot on the gas and kept passing on many occasions.

Which I loved it and what I wanted them to do.

19 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Our WRs are going to give it all they got.

Diggs will be out there. Beasley is fine. Brown is healthy. Davis has a an ankle sprain. McKenzie is healthy and Stills is in wait. This team is going to give it everything they have.

TBH I’m not at all sure Brown and Beas are entirely themselves right now. Sure they will play and give it all they have got.