AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! Bills at Chiefs, Sunday 6:40 pm on CBS

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I like Brett Kollman's stuff, but in this "Chief Concerns" video about 11:30 in where he starts talking about "what happens when you take away those long TDs and make them earn every yard with lengthy methodical drives?...That's not what they do, they don't run 11, 12, 13 play drives..." he lost me and in fact called into question just exactly how much of the Chiefs game film he actually watched. 

Exhibit A: Chiefs drives from Bills game

image.thumb.png.c123d3089ba8e192296fddc88c9fa14e.png

Now I grant you 13-10 at the half, 26-17 final - that wasn't the blow-out shoot-out that many Chiefs games are, but they certainly showed they could do it.

There is literally next to nothing one can take from the first Bills-Chefs game. The Bills were nowhere close to full strength and the defensive game plan encouraged the Chefs to run the ball and have sustained drives.  As for blowout Chefs games? Please tell me when the last one of those occurred, because it has been a while. 

Just now, eball said:

There is literally next to nothing one can take from the first Bills-Chefs game. The Bills were nowhere close to full strength and the defensive game plan encouraged the Chefs to run the ball and have sustained drives.  As for blowout Chefs games? Please tell me when the last one of those occurred, because it has been a while. 

The point is that Kollman attests that the Chiefs just don't run 11, 12, 13 play drives ....but they can, and have when they've needed to.

• Like (+1) 1

Even if this is true, we’ll never know for sure:

But I always felt like something was kind of strange about that first Chiefs game. It was the only game where I thought the offense looked different. Like purposely different. And at the time I said it, sort of joking...I wonder if the Bills would be crazy enough to assume we’d (eventually) see them again. Confident enough to hold back a lot of what we wanted to do. Not show them our best stuff and possibly saving a it for the playoffs. I know that seems unlikely and there was no way to know for sure it would be worth it....But nothing about our offense looked normal that day. I know McDermott is a really good coach and I wouldn’t put anything past him but that would be next level intelligent. It always stood out to me that our entire team looked really, really different that day.

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Even if this is true, we’ll never know for sure:

But I always felt like something was kind of strange about that first Chiefs game. It was the only game where I thought the offense looked different. Like purposely different. And at the time I said it, sort of joking...I wonder if the Bills would be crazy enough to assume we’d (eventually) see them again. Confident enough to hold back a lot of what we wanted to do. Not show them our best stuff and possibly saving a it for the playoffs. I know that seems unlikely and there was no way to know for sure it would be worth it....But nothing about our offense looked normal that day. I know McDermott is a really good coach and I wouldn’t put anything past him but that would be next level intelligent. It always stood out to me that our entire team looked really, really different that day.

Considering that the Chiefs would be top competition for the number one seed, I highly doubt it.  

29 minutes ago, finn said:

If Mahomes does play, you'd think the Chiefs would max protect him, including limiting his scrambling and designed runs. I wonder if the Bills will anticipate that plan and adjust accordingly. 

Possibly ignorant question: do the Chiefs actually call designed runs for Mahomes?  I know he runs 3-4x a game on average for about 20 ypg...but I had the impression it's more an "OK, everyone's covered and you're leaving me space, so I'll get that first down" kind of thing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Practice squad protected players

2 running backs

Huh?  Josh's concussion was 2019 week 4.  Following week vs Titans we won 14-7, Josh threw for 219 yds 2 TD 1 INT 78% completions  - not his best game, but far from his worst of 2019

I find this protect player list funny at this point in the season. Where are they going to go? 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Possibly ignorant question: do the Chiefs actually call designed runs for Mahomes?  I know he runs 3-4x a game on average for about 20 ypg...but I had the impression it's more an "OK, everyone's covered and you're leaving me space, so I'll get that first down" kind of thing.

They called at least two speed options last game. That’s actually the play he got hurt on. 
So yeah they call a couple a game usually in the red zone or short yardage stuff. 

3 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

That would be awesome. I feel like Andre Roberts is due to break one. Special teams TD would be a nice bonus. 

If Andre Roberts trying to break one results in the Bills having an average drive start at their own 8 yd line all first half like they did vs Colts, including a touchback that woulda come out to the 25 but started from the 6........No.  Just No.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, they're free agents.  So in theory they could be signed by one of the other three teams.

Right, I get it, but Covid complicates things and I think they’d have to be signed to the active roster. With only 3 games left in the season and virtually no time to learn a new playbook, it’s probably better to dance with the gal you brought. I guess if there were a slam dunk super bowl team of the 4 left I might make that leap. 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If Andre Roberts trying to break one results in the Bills having an average drive start at their own 8 yd line all first half like they did vs Colts, including a touchback that woulda come out to the 25 but started from the 6........No.  Just No.

😂. Now that I agree with. He was terrible the first half of the colts game. I’m all for him trying a deep kick early to see how it goes, but not all the time. Especially when we are getting beat badly in the field position battle. Sometimes I think he’s a little too aggressive for me, but our average drive starts this year are 6th in the league so it’s hard to get too mad at him.

1 hour ago, finn said:

If Mahomes does play, you'd think the Chiefs would max protect him, including limiting his scrambling and designed runs. I wonder if the Bills will anticipate that plan and adjust accordingly. 

They may hold back on Mahomes to a point.   Until the 4th quarter, then if they need to they take more chances.  Reid loves to throw surprises.  

Our defense was been getting better each week.  They will play a good game.  

We need to run the ball more than we did against Baltimore.  Take some load and pressure off of Allen.