AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! Bills at Chiefs, Sunday 6:40 pm on CBS

Perhaps this may seem weird to some, but I was rooting for the Chiefs to be our opponents instead of the Browns.

Why? Well...

For one thing, I want to see how our team matches up against the Chiefs. The Bills have beaten a lot of good opponents this year, killed a lot of narratives, and proven that they're ready to be contenders. The final remaining challenge is to see how they measure up against the champs. And no, I don't count week six. That wasn't the Bills at their best.

Additionally, though, I truly believe that a "no one expects us to win", chippy underdog Bills team always plays better than a favored-at-home, "pressure's on us" Bills team. The chip on the shoulder, underdog, "us against the world" mentality is a huge part of the identity of this particular team of guys, more so than many other teams in the NFL. Yes, ALL athletes hype themselves up in this way sometimes, but with this Bills team, it just seems to be a way of life. McDermott himself said that it's a big part of who they are as a team. And yes, they need to learn to still win and still perform well when they are the hunted rather than the hunter, but still...For this one game, in this one moment, I'm more comfortable with them as the underdogs that few expect to win. That's when I think they're at their best.

As the Nature Boy would say: "To be the man, ya gotta beat the man!". I'm ready to see the Bills beat the man.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The Bills couldn't have picked two worse matchups than the Colts and Ravens.

Almost EVERYONE on this board who handpicked the Bills opponents wanted the Colts and Ravens the least of them all.

Yet, the Bills got thru these "supposed" tough matchups and are on their way to KC.

Two questions are.......

Are the Bills emotionally drained and have NOTHING left for the Chiefs? And.............

On the other hand, are they a confident battle-tested team that actually has an upper hand against KC and walks out of KC with the W?

Who knows though.

Personally I think they are highly motivated and have a bone to pick with KC. On The Buffalo Beat podcast, Joe Buscaglia and Matthew Fairburn mentioned that a lot of the Bills feed off of being the underdog to a “sickening” degree even when they truly aren’t the underdog. I feel they will be laser focused for this game simply because they will be written off by the national media as not capable of winning against KC and they will be hearing it all week long.

Edited by Triplez47888
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Perhaps this may seem weird to some, but I was rooting for the Chiefs to be our opponents instead of the Browns.

Why? Well...

For one thing, I want to see how our team matches up against the Chiefs. The Bills have beaten a lot of good opponents this year, killed a lot of narratives, and proven that they're ready to be contenders. The final remaining challenge is to see how they measure up against the champs. And no, I don't count week six. That wasn't the Bills at their best.

Additionally, though, I truly believe that a "no one expects us to win", chippy underdog Bills team always plays better than a favored-at-home, "pressure's on us" Bills team. The chip on the shoulder, underdog, "us against the world" mentality is a huge part of the identity of this particular team of guys, more so than many other teams in the NFL. Yes, ALL athletes hype themselves up in this way sometimes, but with this Bills team, it just seems to be a way of life. McDermott himself said that it's a big part of who they are as a team. And yes, they need to learn to still win and still perform well when they are the hunted rather than the hunter, but still...For this one game, in this one moment, I'm more comfortable with them as the underdogs that few expect to win. That's when I think they're at their best.

As the Nature Boy would say: "To be the man, ya gotta beat the man!". I'm ready to see the Bills beat the man.

Thanks for typing this out. Saves me from having to do so. 

Completely agree across the board. We play better as the chippy underdog for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Triplez47888 said:

Personally I think they are highly motivated and have a bone to pick with KC. On The Buffalo Beat podcast, Joe Buscaglia and Matthew Fairburn mentioned that a lot of the Bills feed off of being the underdog to a “sickening” degree even when they truly aren’t the underdog. I feel they will be laser focused for this game simply because they will most likely be written off by the national media as not capable of winning against KC.

Agree, they've got an axe to grind with KC. That team handed Bills a demoralizing loss where the offense left points on the field and the defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. Bills are coming off two wins, won in different ways and showed the team that it is not just all on Allen, or the offense, or the defense. Allen carried the team against the Colts, the defense showed up against the Ravens. In both games the team willed itself to find a way to win.

It feels like the Bills are gritty and battle tested from these last two games. I think they'll be ready.

14 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The Bills couldn't have picked two worse matchups than the Colts and Ravens.

Almost EVERYONE on this board who handpicked the Bills opponents wanted the Colts and Ravens the least of them all.

Yet, the Bills got thru these "supposed" tough matchups and are on their way to KC.

Two questions are.......

Are the Bills emotionally drained and have NOTHING left for the Chiefs? And.............

On the other hand, are they a confident battle-tested team that actually has an upper hand against KC and walks out of KC with the W?

Who knows though.

They may not win but no way are they emotionally drained. Only 4 teams and one win from the Super Bowl they will be fired up on Sunday night.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

Another question to ponder.

Will Mahomes be afraid to leave the pocket in this game?

And if he does leave the pocket, I hope the Bills go for the kill on him for the simple fact that if you play, you are fair game.

He was gimping around on Sunday with that foot/toe injury. I doubt he will be running like he normally might. If the Bills can get a shot on him then definitely hit him with a clean hard shot. If he can't finish the game oh well not the Bills problem.

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

Why? Well...

I posted similar sentiments a few days ago.  I found myself pulling for the Chiefs and wanting that match-up.

To add to what you said, I also feel like Mahomes/Allen could be the Brady/Manning of this era. Obviously, a Bills run would be fantastic - but a run that included a legendary rivalry like that makes it even more memorable.  

I'm also not afraid of that team.  I see them as a slightly better version of the Bills - but not by any kind of significant margin.  We can beat 'em.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/18/2021 at 1:24 AM, WideNine said:

I see some comments from Chiefs' fans about how their defense handled Allen earlier this year.

A lot of us have speculated that up to the back-to-back Titans then Chiefs games we lost Allen faced primarily cover-0 or cover-1 blitz defenses. It was "the book" on Allen - he could not hit his receivers in man coverage and you could pressure him into mistakes. Allen was tearing those up till the Titans came out with an unfamiliar split safety quarters zone defense and KC copied that...Allen had to learn and adjust.

Not sure if posted elsewhere, but Allen talks about that at the 4:44 mark with Chris Simms.

I think Josh did change in those games, in that he needed to become more willing to take the checkdown.  I don't think it's that Josh never saw split safety zone before or didn't understand how to respond in our offense.  I think it's that by nature, he'd rather part with Lefty than take the checkdown.  He had to Get Over It.

Aside: Over/under on Josh ever talking about the impact of his shoulder injury and that linebacker brace?

I'm gonna say "never gonna happen"

• Agree 1

Just going to ask this question here in this thread and I'm not sure anyone would be too sure about this since the Bills haven't won a Super Bowl, but my question is.....if the Bills do happen to pull this out and win the Super Bowl, does anyone know when the parade would be (assuming they have one due to obvious reasons)?

I would assume it would be a couple days after but not sure. Thanks

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Over/under on Josh ever talking about the impact of his shoulder injury and that linebacker brace?

I'm gonna say "never gonna happen"

Josh doesn't strike me as the type to ever make any excuses publicly.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

That you even bring Tyrod into this discussion betrays you as one of those "bad Josh" lurkers.  Seriously dude, when judging Allen look at his body of work for the entire season including the first playoff game.  Also look at the weather which played a huge role.

And for the record on a perfect weather day in Jacksonville a couple of years ago Tyrod couldn't even complete 1 TD drive and the Bills lost. 

I can't believe that on the eve of the Bills playing in the AFC championship game with a 15 - 3 record and winning the AFC East and winning TWO playoff games and after a season in which Allen has 50 TD's (40 passing; 9 rushing; 1 receiving) and about 5,000 yards a 2BD poster is throwing Tyrod out there as a way to criticize Allen.

Allen is an MVP candidate. I think he has had a better season than Rodgers who who will likely win. Get over needing to defend anything that is not puppy dogs and rainbows. Every media outlet has him in the MVP conversation. He is the Lebron James of the Bills. If Lebron scores 14 points and his team wins, people will say wow other guys sure stepped up today. If Allen throws for 200 and rushes for 3 yds and the Bills win, people will say wow the D stepped up today. Allen is a legit contender to throw for 400 yds and 4 TD any given Sunday, so yes folks will be surprised when he only goes for 200. 

Edited by ngbills
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dakrider said:

I would think the Bills should approach the game like it will be a shootout.  If your on KC side of field with 4th and 2, go for it.  Giving the ball to KC on the 20 vs 40 not really that much a difference.  Bills should run an uptempo game as well.  And whatever happened to the draw play to a RB?  Run that and some screens. 

I just don't want to see the same defensive game plan of the first meeting to let them run all over us and totally control the ball/game.  Even if the Bills 'kept it close', KC really controlled the game and it was frankly demoralizing to be gouged like that.   Would rather give up a big play on a 3 min drive and get our offense back on the field then let them have long time consuming drives battering us backwards.  I expect the defensive gameplan will be a little more sophisticated this time - and also I hope they plan to try to make Mahomes uncomfortable and move him from the pocket - with his toe and coming back from his "upper body injury", I can't imagine he will be as comfortable scrambling around.

I also think that Daboll has been saving some plays all season just for this game.

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Not sure I can deal with Romo for this game.  He was like a coked up maniac in the foxhole on Sunday.  Way too amped and spastic for me.  On that 4th down play I thought he was possibly having a seizure.  

Romo comes across as a huge Mahomes fanboy.  He likes Josh but it's more for being a fierce competitor ("a football player") than being a skilled QB.  I like Romo but this may be one where I hit the "mute"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Dude, I feel the same way.

I was very nervous before both the Colts and Ravens game.  Now I’m good for some reason.

The weather is really the only thing worrying me.

I was very anxious before the Colts game.

For the Ravens game, I was fairly calm and more confident.

Now, I feel relaxed. The Bills have shown over and over again, that they can go out and play with any team and win.

I'm not guaranteeing a win on Sunday, but I feel confident in their ability.

Finally, I'm not worried about the weather, the Bills can overcome anything.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1