Daboll & Allen vs. the Ravens

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The other teams don’t rely on the long passing game like we do.  We have literally zero running game.   Teams can just sit on the short pass game and it’s a wrap.  

First most teams don't have a CB core that the ravens do. Even in those conditions yesterday allen's putting 300 on most teams.

Allen throws more intermediate balls than most QBs in the league, bottling up the "short stuff" will still get you ripped up 15 yards downfield.

Allen wasn't limited to 5 yard passes, and if you actually sit on it hard, he will absolutely rip you outside the numbers 12-18 yards downfield

Edited by Buffalo716

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

good. Running is lame.

Lame, but necessary to keep the D honest and not sell out to stop the pass

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

First most teams don't have a CB core that the ravens do. Even in those conditions yesterday allen's putting 300 on most teams.

Allen throws more intermediate balls than most QBs in the league, bottling up the "short stuff" will still get you ripped up 15 yards downfield.

Allen wasn't limited to 5 yard passes, and if you actually sit on it hard, he will absolutely rip you outside the numbers 12-18 yards downfield

Like KC earlier this season?  Breeland is their best corner.....

tennesee D sucks.  Weather sucked....so did our O.  

You don’t want a dome.  Good for you.  You’re not going to convince me to feel the same

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Lame, but necessary to keep the D honest and not sell out to stop the pass

Like KC earlier this season?  Breeland is their best corner.....

tennesee D sucks.  Weather sucked....so did our O.  

You don’t want a dome.  Good for you.  You’re not going to convince me to feel the same

The NFL really is a week to week league. I expect Josh Allen to torch the chiefs pretty well even if he didn't in the regular season.

And again both teams play in adverse conditions in any stadium. and when that weather happens Allen is better equipped than any quarterback

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

EXCUSE ME?

Excuse me?

EXCUSE ME?

There has only been ONE Bill. ONE. In team HISTORY. Who has been quietly spectacular.

And you know EXACTLY who it is.

@Gugny

I vaguely recall "quietly spectacular," but I forgot the context. Please refresh my memory!!!

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I vaguely recall "quietly spectacular," but I forgot the context. Please refresh my memory!!!

Bills win 16 to 6 in a meaningless game vs the Cowboys. Tyrod a casual 13/18 for 179 yards and 1 INT.

Quietly spectacular.

Edited by FireChans
  • Haha (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The NFL really is a week to week league. I expect Josh Allen to torch the chiefs pretty well even if he didn't in the regular season.

And again both teams play in adverse conditions in any stadium. and when that weather happens Allen is better equipped than any quarterback

If it’s rainy and/or windy in KC on Sunday I’ll be surprised if he plays well.  I’ll believe that he’s better equipped than other QBs once he plays well in those conditions for a few games.  He didn’t play well in the conditions in Wyoming and hasn’t in Buffalo either.  With no running game and teams not having to worry about the deep ball, we’re at a disadvantage.

He has the tools.  He hasn’t had the results.    Our offense stunk vs the ravens....at home, in the playoffs.  

Bad weather brings unpredictability.  When you have a truly great qb, it’s best to play in predictable situations and leave unpredictability to the teams that need som luck

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If it’s rainy and/or windy in KC on Sunday I’ll be surprised if he plays well.  I’ll believe that he’s better equipped than other QBs once he plays well in those conditions for a few games.  He didn’t play well in the conditions in Wyoming and hasn’t in Buffalo either.  With no running game and teams not having to worry about the deep ball, we’re at a disadvantage.

He has the tools.  He hasn’t had the results.    Our offense stunk vs the ravens....at home, in the playoffs.  

Bad weather brings unpredictability.  When you have a truly great qb, it’s best to play in predictable situations and leave unpredictability to the teams that need som luck

We've had no run game most the season and it's been all on Josh. Our offense hasnt been balanced.

Of course in a adverse weather game with no run game you're not going to score lots. But Josh was like 22-36. He was efficient and the game didn't call for him to have to put up more.

Sometimes that's football in Buffalo in January

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

We've had no run game most the season and it's been all on Josh. Our offense hasnt been balanced.

Of course in a adverse weather game with no run game you're not going to score lots. But Josh was like 22-36. He was efficient and the game didn't call for him to have to put up more.

Sometimes that's football in Buffalo in January

And we haven’t had bad weather all year.... when we’ve played in bad weather, our offense has suffered.  Have you not noticed?

we had 3 points at the half.  We scored one offensive TD.  Think w/e you like.  I have eyes.  Our offense sucked and it wasn’t because of their D

Edited by NewEra

I hope they make improving the running game a priority this offseason. I love chucking it all over the yard. But games like yesterday's, a solid ground game is important to have in your back pocket.  Would love to see Jeff Wilson Jr in a Bills uniform next season. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Isn’t saying  “ I won’t doubt this team again “. , followed immediately by “ I wouldn’t predict a Super Bowl win” , actually an oxymoron or doubting the team again!?  😀. Just thinking you are either part of circling the wagons or you are outside the circle!  Can’t straddle the line my friend as a true believer, after waiting a quarter of a century to experience how it feels to know your team has a legit chance to finally hoist the Lombardi! Finally putting the phrase “ wide right” to rest so there will never be another generation.of Bills Mafia who cringe at that phrase!   Don’t doubt, don’t go into the game thinking “ we’d lose”!  I was around for all 4 SB losses , plus much more.heartbreak over 35 years, and I can tell you this is how it feels to be an all in fan for a legit WINNING , SB bound Bills team at the beginning of our next dynasty, the next 4 in a row AFC CHAMPIONSHIP COMPETING CLUB BECAUSE WE HAVE OUR FRANCHISE QB!

So if you mean “ I won’t doubt this team again” , then help circle those wagons and don’t doubt this team again!  😀👍🍸💪🏻

Big difference between playing psychic and predicting wins and being a "doubter."

I know the Bills can win any game against any team in the NFL. They're a legit Super Bowl contender moving forward.

That doesn't mean they'll win every game.

I'm 100% circling the wagons... but sorry, I won't crown us Super Bowl Champs til we win it.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Clearly a doubter.

The beauty of bad weather games is that both QBs on both teams need to play in the same weather.

Allen is built for bad weather games. Our game against Baltimore was a bad weather game. He outperformed his competition... by  a lot.

We're good.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Big difference between playing psychic and predicting wins and being a "doubter."

I know the Bills can win any game against any team in the NFL. They're a legit Super Bowl contender moving forward.

That doesn't mean they'll win every game.

I'm 100% circling the wagons... but sorry, I won't crown us Super Bowl Champs til we win it.

I know. Just kind of having fun , tongue in cheek.  😂😀. It’s been forever since we have still been relevant this time of year.  Usually we are listening to talk about draft order , prospects, needs, what can we look forward to next year!  I understand the point and just was thinking for once in so long we are actually able to turn on sports talk shows in January and we have a game to look forward we are playing in!  We are still talking x’s&o’s , matchups, who will we make active etc!  Feels great, right!?
 All of us are still circling the wagons as we enjoy the fun and excitement this team has given us this year !  Sure has been a good ride and I have enjoyed seeing Bills fans so happy. I experienced the 90’s as it was a prime time of my life. My Med career was just taking off , family was happy , my dad was still alive ( went to SB 28 with my dad, Saturday happened to be the 20 th anniversary of his passing from cancer and it made me think of him and maybe he was looking down and helped TJ return it for 6!), life was amazing. Some great Bills fans are too young to have felt this type of joy being a Bills fan or see the joy in their hometowns. So I was just thinking, go all in , it really does feel “real” this time as this is what being part of a winning franchise feels like!   This is it, as good as the fan feeling gets, so don’t doubt it!  Bask in it cuz it doesn’t come around often unless you happen to experience TB12, the 1& only GOAT! 

This feels just as legit as any of the 90’s teams, with many of those Bills going on to HOF recognition. I know you are a great fan cuz you’re here, and just cuz I have been there, done that, I was hoping to convey that it’s a legit time to put doubt aside! It’s a great time to be alive ( we will get a handle on covid based on my years of science training) and a great time to be a Bills  Believer!  I apologize if I said anything stupid and I hope we both have a memorable AFC CHAMPIONSHIP weekend, and I would love that feeling of BUFFALOS GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL one more time!😀😉💪🏻👏👍 Best wishes my Bills Friend! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

So my take, and I did watch the 40 minute condensed version of the game back yesterday, though clearly the all22 isn't out yet is that Baltimore had a good plan, they have good defensive personnel and they used the wind as an extra defender. 

When they played us last year they played a lot of cover 1 and cover 0 on the back end and blitzed us calculating Josh wasn't at that point reading things fast enough to get it out to his hots and his underneath routes. They said if you wanna throw deep you can but we are gonna force you to take those low % throws against our good secondary. 

This year Josh has proven much more adept against the blitz and they adjusted. They rushed 4 for the most part, but they still played a lot of cover 1 and cover 0 on the backend and brought their safeties up into the box to flood the intermediate zones and try and take away the shorter passes from Josh. They still had confidence in their corners to make plays on the low percentage downfield throws and, whether by luck or whether they built the plan factoring it in, they had the wind to make those deep balls even tougher to complete. On three or four replays it showed of plays that did go down the field I specifically looked at the underneath routes and the Ravens were all over them. Beasley was bracketed and they were daring Diggs to run deep but had a guy ready to hit him early if they threw those hitches to the outside they so love. 

On a couple of the big deep shots in the first half Josh very clearly comes off an underneath route to go deep. And that was the right play. The open guy or the 1 on 1 matchup was more often than not on a deeper pass. If a Quarterback throws deep into double coverage when a guy is open underneath fans go crazy. The same should apply if a Quarterback throws short into double coverage and ignores an open guy down the field. Indeed the latter should be more infuriating. The game day thread was full of people screaming for Daboll and Allen to "take what the defense is giving you!" They were. It was giving them 1 on 1 shots down the field. 

The adjustment to me, and the Bills did get to it some in the second half was to start throwing to Diggs short in any event. He is just that good. There was a play over by the sideline in the second half (think it was the early 4th Quarter drive) where Josh threw to Stef to the left and he had his corner and the zone defender there ready to hit in on the hitch and he made one cut that beat them both and was scampering off the field for 15-20 yards and a first down. He is just that darn good. Throw the ball to him. They did the same early in the 2nd half of that Steelers game.... "they have a good plan, they are taking something away.... okay just throw it to your best player and trust he will make a play." 

Could they have mixed the run in a little more first half? Sure. I think Singletary had one attempt in the first half and six in the second. You'd like to see that balance closer to 5 and 5 maybe but people waiting for the Bills to become a balanced 50/50 run to pass team are going to be waiting a while. You don't draft and develop Josh Allen to the point where he is a top 3, elite, Quarterback to hand the ball off 20 times to your 3rd round running back out of Florida Atlantic. Come on folks. 

Overall, unlike last week where I didn't think the Bills offensive plan made a lot of sense vs the Colts, I thought this week they had a decent plan. Baltimore is really good. Wink Martindale is a top defensive coordinator. They have one of the best secondaries in the league, they had a great defensive gameplan and it was extremely difficult conditions to throw. And yet the Bills did enough to make the plays to win the game. They are going to put this team on Josh Allen's right arm. As they should. That is the whole reason we spent 25 years looking for a Quarterback. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

That should have been a TD. It's an easy catch compared to those 2 sideline catches last week.

Lol, sure it was.  Once a guy makes a few amazing tough catches, he can’t ever let one go after that right?

maybe he’s tired from catching all those TDs this season....