So the Lamar excuses start????

2 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Watched Rex Ryan this morning and he made a great point. Hollywood is a good WR but not a #1.  Lamar isn't the most accurate QB and needs a big bodied WR with wing span and contested catch ability. Andrews is good but to me is a safety valve not a primary option. Also, you don't need a top tier RB when your primary rusher is your QB. A game plan that has obviously run its course at this point.

50% of Lamar's passes are to "Safety Valves".  Yes I'm being sarcastic......

MVP in 2019

In 2020, loses his #2 and #3 TEs, and now the narrative is "he needs more weapons"?

Let's look at facts:

John Brown's stats in 2018 with the Ravens vs. 2019 with the Bills.  And further, what were Brown's stats in '18 with Flacco at QB vs. with LJ at QB?  What are the reasons for the discrepancies?  Was he "not a weapon" with LJ in '18, and someone sprinkled "weapon dust" on him in the summer of '19?  

Wille Sneed's - whose name has been dropped ad nauseam in this thread - receptions have been cut in half from '18 to '19 & '20.  What's the cause?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

MVP in 2019

In 2020, loses his #2 and #3 TEs, and now the narrative is "he needs more weapons"?

Let's look at facts:

John Brown's stats in 2018 with the Ravens vs. 2019 with the Bills.  And further, what were Brown's stats in '18 with Flacco at QB vs. with LJ at QB?  What are the reasons for the discrepancies?  Was he "not a weapon" with LJ in '18, and someone sprinkled "weapon dust" on him in the summer of '19?  

Wille Sneed's - whose name has been dropped ad nauseam in this thread - receptions have been cut in half from '18 to '19 & '20.  What's the cause?

And when does the following start?

How do you turn a productive receiver in to a has been? Have Lamar as his QB.....😉 (I don't 100% believe it, but certainly he does not make receivers better or get them a "pay day").

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

The differences between Allan and Jackson are many. A key one is the difference between Daboll and Roman.

And so was McD in 2018/19.....

I thought the Ravens got rid of Smoke because they couldn't utilize him with Jackson. Now people are saying Jackson's problem is lack of weapons? At least as of now, his problem is he's not a good enough passer. He needs to become that for continuing success, at least to be considered a top QB. From everything I've heard, he's a very hard worker. So, he may get there, just not yet.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

MVP in 2019

Let's look at facts:

Lamar’s a regular season Qb who beats up on bad teams.     No reason to waste more on Wr’s he can’t throw to.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

What about the rocket arm? Allen has one. Jackson does not. Jackson needs a full windup to get it anywhere over 7 yards. Allen can flick his wrist while having guys on him or falling down and get the ball all over the place.

I'd say that's a big difference. And there are many others.

What they are really saying is that Jackson would benefit from having one of the best receivers in the league. Well duh. What QB wouldn't?

That’s right, they are asking the simple question of whether Jackson would be better with Diggs on his team and the answer is obvious. But the compound question includes whether Diggs would be better with Jackson as his QB and that answer also is obvious. Bottom line is Diggs is a better WR with Allen throwing the ball and Allen is a better QB with Diggs catching it. That reciprocal dynamic would not exist with many of the other starting QBs in the league and that goes double for Lamar at this point in his career.

Edited by AKC

29 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Lamar’s a regular season Qb who beats up on bad teams.     No reason to waste more on Wr’s he can’t throw to.  

Somewhat to Lamar’s defense, he did throw a few very catchable balls that were dropped in our game.  They could’ve been very important.  

That said, if I’m Lamar, I’d be on the phone with Jordan Palmer and every person that helped Josh improve his throwing.  He will need to improve as a passer and be multidimensional if he wants to last in the league as a star QB.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

Somewhat to Lamar’s defense, he did throw a few very catchable balls that were dropped in our game.  They could’ve been very important.  

That said, if I’m Lamar, I’d be on the phone with Jordan Palmer and every person that helped Josh improve his throwing.  He will need to improve as a passer and be multidimensional if he wants to last in the league as a star QB.

Yea and Davis a TD pass right in his arms.....

Does Hollywood Brown have mediocre production with another quarterback or are he and Mark Andrews not getting open enough? Are they too to blame? I can think of a lot of good quarterbacks that would take these two in a heartbeat. 

Edited by Jpsredemption
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Lamar is a terrible QB , if he wasnt they would have designed a passing game around him not a running attack.

I don't think he is a terrible QB, but he is definitely not as good as the elite QB's he is often compared to. (including Allen). He is a unique talent, who will be able to exploit undisciplined Defenses for a few season with his speed, until he takes one too many hits and loses that edge.  I don't think he will ever be able to transform into an elite pocket passer, which is why he is just good, not elite.  

Let me start out by saying that I don't think, at least at this point in his career, that Lamar is even an average passer.  

Having said that...

I remember over a decade ago when I was living in NE, some guys from WEEI were interviewing Tom Brady and it was a great interview about playing QB in the NFL. He talked about how he was lucky to have continuity with the coaches.  That while they had a new playbook each season, and a subset of those plays for each game, if a particular matchup called for a play from a previous season, it was always at their disposal because he had "been there, done that" so to speak. He then went on to talk about Alex Smith (who, at the time, was struggling in SF and had several OCs) and how he was never going to be successful if they couldn't lend him some stability. 

Then the talk shifted to Vince Young (this is where it is really relevant).  If I remember right, this interview was maybe a season or two into Young's career. If you remember, he was pretty good as a rookie then sort of faded as teams began to defend his scrambling more effectively. Brady basically said that while his physical skills are amazing, the offense they were building around him there wasn't conducive to long term growth.  That if he wasn't allowed to open up the passing game and make mistakes, he would never grow as a passer. He said that sometimes coaches are more interested in winning than they are in developing a QB, and with a guy like Young (or Lamar), you'd rather roll with a safe offense that takes advantage of his skills instead of suffering through some growing pains so he can develop new ones.

I still think about what he said when I think about Lamar. Im not sure the Ravens are willing to take a step back, and Im not sure Greg Roman has the chops as an OC to develop a pocket QB.  When he was in Buffalo, he even had a passing game coordinator.

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Watched Rex Ryan this morning and he made a great point. Hollywood is a good WR but not a #1.  Lamar isn't the most accurate QB and needs a big bodied WR with wing span and contested catch ability. Andrews is good but to me is a safety valve not a primary option. Also, you don't need a top tier RB when your primary rusher is your QB. A game plan that has obviously run its course at this point.

Oh the old Doug Whaley “open when he’s not open” and the “large catch radius” bunk?

Old coaches, old players, saying the same broken phrases.

I was looking forward to watching the talking heads talk up how well Buffalo's defense stymied one of the two hottest teams in the NFL in the Ravens.  How the Ravens were dominating their opponents and ran into a buzz saw in the Buffalo Bills.  

Nope, it was all either about how the Ravens need to get more weapons for Lamar like the Bills did by getting Diggs for Allen or how Roman didn't call a good game or how Lamar needs to be better.   95% of the conversations are in terms of how Baltimore lost the game and very little of it was how Buffalo's defense caused the Ravens to play poorly.  

The Bills will just have to go out and win again this weekend.

• Like (+1) 1

The thing that people saw when Josh Allen came out was a raw player that has typical size for a very good QB.  The intangibles is his heart and dedication to get better.  Lamar does not have either of those and he doesn't have the size.  Lamar is an amazing athlete but not an amazing QB.  He can be if he chooses but my guess is you have seen his ceiling until he decides he wants to get better.