So the Lamar excuses start????

58 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Lamar is a unique talent and actually a good passer when he knows where to go but right now he can be confused. If the team has not aided his development in that then shame on them but his cieling appears to be set.

To be fair, it's kind of hard for him to develop and read defenses when they are so unconventional and run the ball all the time.

Honestly, its a spinning  merry-go-round situation. You either stay with the current system and just try to throw enough wrinkles in or you have to gut the whole system again.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I've said it many times and will keep saying it. Running qbs never work. They are good for a short while and that's it. Lamar hit his ceiling last year. Unless he does something drastic like learn to become a pocket passer (kinda like what Allen did with palmer) the Ravens will continue to get worse. I could see them being a 7 win team next year. Running qbs always get figured out. 

And not just that you no how hard it is every week to out power you opponent playing power football and as I’ve seen running QB only last 5 to 6 years so hard to keep that kind of offense going for 8 to 10 years I think they had there chance last year 

4 hours ago, benderbender said:

But I heard nothing but MVP talk during the broadcast for 3 quarters. 🧐

Tbf, I heard more Josh Allen MVP discussion during the broadcast than Jackson.

Anything related to MVP + Jackson was in regards to him being the reigning MVP.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

Tbf, I heard more Josh Allen MVP discussion during the broadcast than Jackson.

Anything related to MVP + Jackson was in regards to him being the reigning MVP.

right? Jackson was referred to as MVP because he IS MVP. Until the next one is awarded. Holy god I can’t believe posters here can miss something like that. “Football fans”

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Just read a Ringer article with the same excuses.....  Imagine Allen throwing a 101 yard pick 6?

Any articles or people questioning Lamar after yesterday?

He needs better receivers seems to be a tired excuse.  

As I said elsewhere "How do you know, when you throw so little and very few are actual traditional plays as most are a result of Lamar's athleticism and many busted plays"?

And what receiver would sign to play with Lamar and this offense? 

He didnt play a great game. My question is:  

1.  What is the fixation of some people to feel the need to put this kid down?

Multiple threads have to be dedicated in the pursuit of this endeavor? Did he personally offend Bills players that we somehow continue to feel the need to say “hes not that good”? Is it bc he was drafted in the same class as Josh Allen so we need to measure up?

He is 24yrs old and has broken numerous statistical records, to include winning an MVP award. Let the dude live. They didnt go 4-12 this yr. He lost in the divisional round of the playoffs at 24 and led his team to an 11-5 record.  He clearly doesnt suck. He clearly is not average either. 

The hate for this guy is tiring. The media talks a lot about him bc he just won the MVP award and hes 24. Theyll move on to endlessly hype up this year’s MVP. Thats how it goes. 

If anything we should be able to relate to this guy’s struggles:  experts were saying he would never be an NFL QB and should switch to WR. Experts were saying Allen would never be successful. Theyre both good stories. 

Edited by bobobonators
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I've been saying it since day one, Greg Roman might be known as a run game guru but his passing concepts are not that difficult to defend. He showed this issue in San Fran with Kaepernick, in Buffalo with Tyrod and it'll eventually happen in Baltimore. 

But, poor passing scheme or not, the Bills had him contained and flustered all night so I think his performance has a lot more to do with that than it does much else. 

5 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Just read a Ringer article with the same excuses.....  Imagine Allen throwing a 101 yard pick 6?

As I said elsewhere "How do you know, when you throw so little and very few are actual traditional plays as most are a result of Lamar's athleticism and many busted plays"?

That is my argument on twitter and youtube. What #1 receiver would want to play with Lamar and the Ravens. Remember  Hollywood Brown had to beg for the ball earlier this year

Josh Allen once needed better receivers.  It wasn't a tired excuse then, was it?

I would agree it’s hard to know whether Lamar is capable of running more traditional dropback passing plays.  

Honestly, I think part of the problem is Greg Roman’s run heavy offense.  We’ve seen the story play out in San Francisco, Buffalo, and now Baltimore.  Initially the mobile QB takes the league by storm and the offense has a lot of success but once a defense catches up and stops the run, the passing game isn’t developed enough to win games.  

Lamar is an explosive runner and shown flashes as a passer but he really hasn’t evolved from the QB he was last year and IMO that’s what held the Ravens back.  

The Ravens made the strategic decision to take what Lamar did well, which is run the ball and make out of structure throws, and design their offense around it.

The Bills took the opposite track with Allen. He also came out good at running the ball and making those out of structure throws, but they made the strategic decision to design an offense that forced Allen to learn to be a pocket passer and were willing to take their lumps for 2 years while he learned the ropes. We are seeing the benefits now with Allen in that he can read defenses, make all the throws, and still has the ability to run or make out of structure throws.

If Lamar is going to have a long career, I think the Ravens at some point are going to have to change their offense and take their lumps while Lamar learns to become more of a pocket passer. I don’t think they are going to do this. I think they are going to continue to ride with him being an unconventional QB and maybe bring in an OC who will try and mix in a few more passing concepts. Whether they can go far in the playoffs with this type of O is the big question.

17 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

The Ravens made the strategic decision to take what Lamar did well, which is run the ball and make out of structure throws, and design their offense around it.

The Bills took the opposite track with Allen. He also came out good at running the ball and making those out of structure throws, but they made the strategic decision to design an offense that forced Allen to learn to be a pocket passer and were willing to take their lumps for 2 years while he learned the ropes. We are seeing the benefits now with Allen in that he can read defenses, make all the throws, and still has the ability to run or make out of structure throws.

If Lamar is going to have a long career, I think the Ravens at some point are going to have to change their offense and take their lumps while Lamar learns to become more of a pocket passer. I don’t think they are going to do this. I think they are going to continue to ride with him being an unconventional QB and maybe bring in an OC who will try and mix in a few more passing concepts. Whether they can go far in the playoffs with this type of O is the big question.

no...you don’t try to fit a square peg in a round hole.

you tailor an offense around the qb strengths.  It takes time to understand pro defense and learn on the differences between college and pro.  

Allen had some innate abilities that could be modified.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

i think finding a more accurate snapper is a legitimate excuse

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

He didnt play a great game. My question is:  

1.  What is the fixation of some people to feel the need to put this kid down?

Multiple threads have to be dedicated in the pursuit of this endeavor? Did he personally offend Bills players that we somehow continue to feel the need to say “hes not that good”? Is it bc he was drafted in the same class as Josh Allen so we need to measure up?

He is 24yrs old and has broken numerous statistical records, to include winning an MVP award. Let the dude live. They didnt go 4-12 this yr. He lost in the divisional round of the playoffs at 24 and led his team to an 11-5 record.  He clearly doesnt suck. He clearly is not average either. 

The hate for this guy is tiring. The media talks a lot about him bc he just won the MVP award and hes 24. Theyll move on to endlessly hype up this year’s MVP. Thats how it goes. 

If anything we should be able to relate to this guy’s struggles:  experts were saying he would never be an NFL QB and should switch to WR. Experts were saying Allen would never be successful. Theyre both good stories. 

Some Bills fans need to trash every other young QB in the league because they are Allen's competition.

"Baker sucks, Watson sucks, LJ sucks, and Mahomes is overrated" are commonplace TBD takes.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Some Bills fans need to trash every other young QB in the league because they are Allen's competition.

"Baker sucks, Watson sucks, LJ sucks, and Mahomes is overrated" are commonplace TBD takes.

Coming from the same guy who said Allen should be traded and Jake Fromm is the next Tom Brady

The Bills coaches came up w/ a GREAT gameplan to stop Jackson.  And had he not thrown that pick 6, the game is touch & go until the end.

Yeah, he threw the pick 6 - but it's way too hot takey to write him off.  He is one of the league's most exciting players, and we'll have to grapple w/ him for years to come.