So the Lamar excuses start????

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Its not hard to declare at all.  Either the team believes he can win them a championship or they don't.  If they believe, then they pay him.  If they don't, then perhaps they don't pay him.  I look at him and I don't believe.  Not unless he keeps an amazing team around him which is tough to do after paying him.  Again, I said I would pick up the 5th year option and let it play out.  Then make a decision.

But if you don't keep Lamar you have nothing. And the rest of that roster is way to good to lose. Remember the whole reason they want the Lamar route in the first place was because they were never drafting in position to get the more polished prospects. It is a really hard decision....  but hopping off a guy who wins double digit games every season because he can't win in the playoffs to go to nothing is one hell of a risk. I'd be trying to get a deal done where it escalates as it goes. Not a big signing bonus that ties in me in long term but say... $35m per year and the first two years fully guaranteed that means my commitment is just those two years. Maybe he wouldn't sign that. I don't know. I think that contract is a really tough one to work out.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I agree about Roman.  But McD had no qualms jettisoning Dennison after 1 year despite the team making the playoffs.  I'd start there.   The problem is, can they get anyone better?

As for play-makers, again they might help him get better, but will it make him get good enough?  And will they be able to determine this before needing to make a decision on a new contract?  Again, I'd hate to be in their shoes.

Maybe they could get Anthony Lynn.  He ran Romans playbook before and knows the AFC pretty well.  They would be best to stick with Roman if they are going to stick with Lamar though.

Weapons or not, the question I have is why wouldn't the Ravens, in year 3 of a 1st round draft picks career, surround him with "more dynamic weapons"?

Unless management realizes what he is and figures what you see is what you are going to get, no matter who surrounds him.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

I agree about Roman.  But McD had no qualms jettisoning Dennison after 1 year despite the team making the playoffs.  I'd start there.   The problem is, can they get anyone better?

As for play-makers, again they might help him get better, but will it make him get good enough?  And will they be able to determine this before needing to make a decision on a new contract?  Again, I'd hate to be in their shoes.

Disagree totally on Roman. If they try and fit Lamar into a more conventional system it is over IMO. Keep Roman. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

But if you don't keep Lamar you have nothing. And the rest of that roster is way to good to lose. Remember the whole reason they want the Lamar route in the first place was because they were never drafting in position to get the more polished prospects. It is a really hard decision....  but hopping off a guy who wins double digit games every season because he can't win in the playoffs to go to nothing is one hell of a risk. I'd be trying to get a deal done where it escalates as it goes. Not a big signing bonus that ties in me in long term but say... $35m per year and the first two years fully guaranteed that means my commitment is just those two years. Maybe he wouldn't sign that. I don't know. I think that contract is a really tough one to work out.

I agree with this.  While I wrote it as a simple thing... you are correct.  It's hard  to move on from a guy that helps you win football games when there is no one to go to.  The goal is to win a championship though.  They have to do something.  I don't know if they can get a reasonable contract or not but paying top money to Lamar is not what I would do regardless if I had no one else to go to.  Lamar represents himself I heard so who knows how negotiations would go. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

do yourself a favor and check the OP and the thread title again. These aren’t “bills fans’” excuses. The discussion is around what the Ravens fans and sympathizers are saying. 

or that was the discussion until you derailed it with your tangents.

Who was it who brought Allen into the conversation?  

I'm referring to the people in this thread, not the author of the article.

Edited by Bermuda Triangle

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Here is the Ringer Article...

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-playoffs/2021/1/17/22235510/baltimore-ravens-go-bust-buffalo-bills

Part of it said Lamar needs the weapons Josh has and he'd be "better" & since Allen did it, of course Lamar can too.(paraphrasing)

Yep too lazy to look for others, which is why I posted....😜

I like Lamar as a person, just think he has had too many accolades.....

he should give some back?

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Where do they believe the Ravens will find this WR1?

They loaded up on one of the best defenses in football.  

They drafted a top end RB.  

They have spent on OL. 

They have a top end TE. 

They have to pay Lamar soon. 

Can’t afford give the guy everything....

They drafted Hollywood Brown in the first round, he’s no slouch either. 

My thoughts......

Dobbins is a good RB

Andrews is a good TE

Hollywood brown is a decent WR with speed but not a #1.

Jackson doesn’t avg 200 yds per game passing but is a running threat.  The fact is it’s only a matter of time before he does get injured. In yesterday’s game he happened to get concussion by just being knocked back as a passer on a sack attempt. It wasn’t a run that did this like it did to Mahomes

Im unsure on Jackson’s longevity.  The key is can he develop and be a better passer with the threat to run and use his mobility when needed. This is similar to what Allen has done and what a few other QBs who can run have done like Andrew Luck, and steve Young as well as others.

I've said it many times and will keep saying it. Running qbs never work. They are good for a short while and that's it. Lamar hit his ceiling last year. Unless he does something drastic like learn to become a pocket passer (kinda like what Allen did with palmer) the Ravens will continue to get worse. I could see them being a 7 win team next year. Running qbs always get figured out. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc said:

It’s reputation. Everybody jumped on the Lamar bandwagon after his MVP season and are refusing to jump off...yet. Just like some don’t really want to give Josh credit for being a great quarterback...yet.

I know and it is bs! I read a remarkable article yesterday featuring Bill Polian and his take on Allen's progress. That is all we need to know. If someone cannot see that Allen has clearly arrived then they are blind. The scary thing is that he will get even better!

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Maybe they could get Anthony Lynn.  He ran Romans playbook before and knows the AFC pretty well.  They would be best to stick with Roman if they are going to stick with Lamar though.

I suppose.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Weapons or not, the question I have is why wouldn't the Ravens, in year 3 of a 1st round draft picks career, surround him with "more dynamic weapons"?

Unless management realizes what he is and figures what you see is what you are going to get, no matter who surrounds him.

They've been more interested in making the defense stronger, trading for Campbell and Ngakoue.  Figuring strong defense limits opponent scoring and allows them to use run game mainly.

4 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

They drafted Hollywood Brown in the first round, he’s no slouch either. 

Don't sell him short.  He's a tremendous slouch. 

Just kidding.  Although taking a 5'9" 170# WR in the 1st...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I've said it many times and will keep saying it. Running qbs never work. They are good for a short while and that's it. Lamar hit his ceiling last year. Unless he does something drastic like learn to become a pocket passer (kinda like what Allen did with palmer) the Ravens will continue to get worse. I could see them being a 7 win team next year. Running qbs always get figured out. 

Yes! we continue to see this trend with new prototypes stepping up with the same result. The Bills completely unmasked Jackson yesterday.

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

in this league if you have a strong running team and a very good defense you can do well with an a non top 5 QB.

it’s still beneficial if the QB can run to avoid sacks and extend plays as well as being a potential running threat to keep a defense honest

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

I agree with this.  While I wrote it as a simple thing... you are correct.  It's hard  to move on from a guy that helps you win football games when there is no one to go to.  The goal is to win a championship though.  They have to do something.  I don't know if they can get a reasonable contract or not but paying top money to Lamar is not what I would do regardless if I had no one else to go to.  Lamar represents himself I heard so who knows how negotiations would go. 

The goal is to sell tickets. Winning games & contending every year does that. Championships are gravy. 

4 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

i see that you did and i appreciate it. 

to your topic - if one of the excuses about Jackson is the lack of weapons argument, well literally hundreds of posters right here were making the exact same excuse for Allen 2 years ago

Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, and Andre Holmes weren't exactly striking fear into the opposition

• Like (+1) 1