Win big now, or lots of victories but no ring?

RangerDave

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Luckily this is make believe.  My vote is win the super bowl this year and dominate for the next 15

Maybe this is "make believe", but it has almost happened.  We had a period where we had sustained dominance, and we had a period where we were wandering in the desert for a decade and a half.  If we had won a ring in the '90's, would that have ameliorated the frustration of the 2000's?

Option 2 without a doubt. I'm assuming option two includes the option of multiple super bowl losses and not just one and one in the playoffs? One Lombardi this year and then 15 years of losing seasons would be too much too handle. Something would seriously have to go wrong for that to happen given how good this team is right now. 

If I was over 60 I'd probably take the first option. But being under 40 I have plenty of time still. Knock on wood.

8 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

Maybe this is "make believe", but it has almost happened.  We had a period where we had sustained dominance, and we had a period where we were wandering in the desert for a decade and a half.  If we had won a ring in the '90's, would that have ameliorated the frustration of the 2000's?

It would have....I just want to feel what it’s like once before I die.....too bad no one gave me this amazing option in the 90s.  I might have chosen to win 1 and we all would have had a title. 

That said, this IS make believe and no one could ever give me that option

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Option 2 without a doubt. I'm assuming option two includes the option of multiple super bowl losses and not just one and one in the playoffs? One Lombardi this year and then 15 years of losing seasons would be too much too handle. Something would seriously have to go wrong for that to happen given how good this team is right now. 

If I was over 60 I'd probably take the first option. But being under 40 I have plenty of time still. Knock on wood.

Winning none in a lifetime is way too much to handle.  Imagine if we made it to the super bowl every year for 15 years and lost every one.  We’d all be dead.  

10 minutes ago, Groin said:

I'm not even sure if the scenario the OP proposes is a real one.  If you have owners who are willing to hire and retain good people, a good FO, a strong HC, and a franchise QB, I don't see why this needs to be an either/or thing.  At all.

I can help.  You can be sure that this isn’t a real scenario.  It is 💯 make believe and can never happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

I too lived through all those 90's wins, but would trade them all for a SB victory. As we all get older, we realize time is becoming limited. I want that jubilation. I want to cry those tears of joy. Just give me ONE before I die. I can live with mediocrity for a spell, knowing I saw the ultimate championship come to Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

I watch football for the pure entertainment of it, so for me a super bowl ring or not doesn't necessarily really matter all that much to me. Sure I'd LOVE to have one or two or three, but give me good seasons of football and I'm happy.

I kind of look at the regular season as a drudgery to get to the playoffs, there is a bit of drama because you've got to get those ten or eleven wins to make the playoffs, but on the game to game level, most euphoria or angst is manufactured in our collective minds ... bottom line is win enough games and your in the playoffs. I like to win as much as the next guy, but I never expect the Bills to go undefeated, so a loss doesn't really bother me.

When the playoffs begin the drama is real, you either win or go home, I REALLY enjoy those games.

The super bowl is the ultimate drama, either you are the champions, or are the best of the losers in the league.

IMHO it's all about making it to the playoffs and letting the chips fall where they may.

As an aside ... I have a 25 year old son who is as die hard Bills fan as I am. Every week we sit down to watch the Bills game, even since he's moved out he always makes it a point to be visiting good ol' dad to watch the game. His entire football watching life has been an exercise in futility, we're talking depths of the drought here. During the fourth quarter of the Colts game he turns to me and says, "I don't know if my heart can stand playoff football, and how in the heck do you do it ... you're an old fart".

During the third quarter of the game last night he turns to me and says, "I've decided watching Bills games was a heck of a lot less stressful when we sucked". My only response was "get used to it son ... this is what having a good football team is all about".

Bottom line is, get me to the playoffs every year, I'll take my chances on getting a ring or two. 

3 hours ago, letsgoteam said:

I want a Super Bowl, and anything after that doesnt matter. I'll take multiple 0-16 seasons if it means they've won a Super Bowl.

I think this is how I feel about it too.

Plus, having already gone through this with the Boston Red Sox, I can tell you that you will forever be changed as a Bills fan once we do win a Super Bowl.

Those bad years that follow (in the OP's scenario) will be very easy to take when you can say "we won it all".

Once is enough, basically.  It's way different than "NEVER".