Win big now, or lots of victories but no ring?

RangerDave

I am so glad that the younger guys on this board are getting to feel what it is like to root for a good organization!  Many here were too young to appreciate the '90's Bills.  Those teams were so much fun to watch and root for.  Then, we hit the drought years.  Ugh!

My question is this.  Would you rather:

• Win the Super Bowl this year, but in the next 10-15 years we enter a period of drought where we end up 7-9 or worse every year.  Or,
  • Enter a 10-15 year period where we routinely win double digit games, make the playoffs almost every year, but never win the big one.

On one hand, the '90's teams won a LOT of games.  They also won a lot of playoff games.  For that decade, I walked into work on Mondays in a good mood.  It was a glorious period in Buffalo sports.  But every season ended in "disappointment" as we did not get a ring.

On the other hand, the drought years were miserable.  It was tough getting excited about each season.  It was gloomy on Mondays.  A demoralizing period in Buffalo sports.  The Bills, and Buffalo, were irrelevant to the sports world.

It is a hard choice for me.  I have longed to be on the winning side of a championship team my entire life.  I was only 2-3 when the Bills won their AFL Championships, so I can't say a team I rooted for won it all.  But, the '90s were so much fun.  Winning 10 to 15 games every year was great.  So what if we lost the one last game?  The year overall was still great.  And the drought years were so awful!  Can't we win JUST one???

Which would you choose?  Win big now but lose consistently later, or win consistently for a long period, but never a championship?

• Vomit 3

I need one. Im not greedy. But between the Bills and Sabres im 45 and really became aware and interested around 88 when we went to the AFC championship against the Bengals and lost. So i am i think 0 for 63 on possible championships. Im despirate I wanna know what that feels like to see my guys celebrating with that trophy i want the T-shirt, poster and sports illustrated kit. I want one year to not end with out disappointment and looking forward to the draft. Please just once then ill take it as it comes.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, SMAKCruiser said:

Do we get to at least get to go to the Super Bowl with Option 2?   Or are we one and done like the Bengals were under Marvin Lewis.  

Yes, I think we go to Super Bowls, we just never win them.  Just like the '90's teams.  So close, yet so far.

• Vomit 1

Take the championship. I have followed the Toronto Raptors basketball organization for 25 years. As someone who witnessed a championship and is now looking at a rebuild, I will tell you that it’s much more enjoyable to take that championship. It’s such an incredibly gratifying feeling. I saw it with the Toronto Blue Jays in the 90s as well. It’s like I always have that to fall back upon